DIY Ground Box Thread
Aug 28, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #466 of 1,869
They need to be in cork, not in plastic.
Your system will sound better each time you finish a good bottle of wine or champagne. :yum:
Noted. I am as it happens involved in a local wine bar so might see if I can tap into their cork collection... Perhaps A-B different regions and vintages to find optimal component and food matching. 😋

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #467 of 1,869
Going to soon start trying different cable recipes. The dual twisted 11ga. 6N cable is very balanced, a very good performing ground cable. But interested in experimenting.

Anyone come up with a high performance ground cable? If yes, what is the build exactly?

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #468 of 1,869
Yes, tell me about it re shipping to the Antipodes. Brutal here especially with the current exchange rate and €50 a pop shipping for each of those Playstereo shipments from Italy. I've spent a silly amount on the stuff now.

To that end whilst I don't mind sharing a small quantity for cable grounding damping purposes (a little goes a long way there, and I'd seek nothing in return, would fit in an envelope so postage would be negligible) if you or the other guys want greater quantities - full sheets for components - I'd encourage you to just bite the bullet (as I did more than once) and order some - maybe do a group buy to split costs from Europe before they're gone gone.

PS - I should add I appreciate the offer of exchange for one of your superb cables.

To encourage you further... The result of the AB was the TA-102 slightly thinned the sound, improving the resolution slightly but not in a desirable way. So I can see why it didn't grab you used like this. This was regardless of the quantity used. By contrast the 22K doesn't seem to have any drawbacks... Creates a more expansive and deeper soundstage than either sans any fo.Q or the TA-102, with greater definition than either but fuller more beautifully textured vocals and juicy textured bass. I have since moved to the larger squares without drawback (it's just ethernet plugs that are finicky with quantity it seems) and then doubled and tripled up on both the USB and RCA with no negatives, just an increase in the positive effects. Then proceeded to add strips on one of the octagonal flat surfaces of the binding posts of my boxes. This added more of the same.

My system sounds a lot more lush, with deeper richer timbres and a greater scale than it did this morning. There's some crazy grounding synergy with this stuff.
That's interesting. Gives me a few more ideas for application with my Fo.q SH-22K. Did you ever use any sticky adhesive additive like the reusable tack / glue I recommended earlier, or just set them on flat? That could be done for a USB cable plug, but then it would be a balancing act to get it to stay on the likes of BNC or RCA cables.

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #469 of 1,869
Going to soon start trying different cable recipes. The dual twisted 11ga. 6N cable is very balanced, a very good performing ground cable. But interested in experimenting.

Anyone come up with a high performance ground cable? If yes, what is the build exactly?
As your recommendation, I've bought the 14awg 6N (2 square) from Aliexpress for ground cable, which is on the way to my location. Do I need to twist that cable when I mod the XLR cables?

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #470 of 1,869

I have ordered some connectors, but have not decided what cable to buy yet. I have tried a lot of different Alix DC cables for linear power supplies and non have beaten Neotech 7N occ copper. So i will probably go for 1,5mm or 2mm stranded Neotech dual twisted or single Neotech occ silver (expensive though).

Hooked up a box to a 5V LPS (powering a DDC) on the unused USB output. Very satisfied with the effect. Tighter more meaty low end, better layering and soudstage depth.

Now i have a problem. Some LPS's i use do not have a grounding point or unused output. Tried connecting to chassis, but that made no difference. May need to drill a hole and connect to the board some how. Any tips in this regard?

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #471 of 1,869
I have ordered some connectors, but have not decided what cable to buy yet. I have tried a lot of different Alix DC cables for linear power supplies and non have beaten Neotech 7N occ copper. So i will probably go for 1,5mm or 2mm stranded Neotech dual twisted or single Neotech occ silver (expensive though).

Hooked up a box to a 5V LPS (powering a DDC) on the unused USB output. Very satisfied with the effect. Tighter more meaty low end, better layering and soudstage depth.

Now i have a problem. Some LPS's i use do not have a grounding point or unused output. Tried connecting to chassis, but that made no difference. May need to drill a hole and connect to the board some how. Any tips in this regard?
You could do what I did; wrap a bare wire that goes to your grounding box around the outer negative portion of the male - barrel connector when it's unplugged, and carefully plug it back in, it may be slightly loose but you will be able to tightly wedge that cable between the connections. You could even wrap it with silver Faraday fabric tape.

I have already found the ultimate for DC cables, from trustey cable maker Darren of Arctans Labs in Singapore. Beats many other robust thick custom ordered DC cables I've tried before, and he can customize to any connection type.

Contact Darren: https://arctand.com/

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #472 of 1,869
As your recommendation, I've bought the 14awg 6N (2 square) from Aliexpress for ground cable, which is on the way to my location. Do I need to twist that cable when I mod the XLR cables?
Assuming you are using the solderless EIZZ XLR connectors... you only use a single 14ga. wire for the XLR cable mod.

For RCA or XLR based mod to add a ground box cable, only a single 14ga wire is used. For power cable mod or a cable from ground box to component you would use two 14ga. wires twisted together to make up a 11ga. cable.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #473 of 1,869

If you are using a LPS I will assume you have a power cable from AC (110v or 220v) to power the LPS. The LPS converts the AC to DC voltage. I would mod the IEC end of the power cable that feeds AC to the LPS, so it will have a ground box cable coming directly from the IEC connector of the power cable. This way you are filtering the AC power cable and the LPS directly. This is accomplished by adding a good ground box cable from the ground connection of the IEC connector.

Attachments

• Odin 2 IEC end GB cable mod.jpg
    Odin 2 IEC end GB cable mod.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Nordost Odin 2 GB cable mod.jpg
    Nordost Odin 2 GB cable mod.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #474 of 1,869
You could do what I did; wrap a bare wire that goes to your grounding box around the outer negative portion of the + barrel connector when it's unplugged, and carefully plug it back in, it may be slightly loose but you will be able to tightly wedge that cable between the connections. You could even wrap it with silver Faraday fabric tape.

I have already found the ultimate for DC cables, from trustey cable maker Darren of Arctans Labs in Singapore. Beats many other robust thick custom ordered DC cables I've tried before, and he can customize to any connection type.

Contact Darren: https://arctand.com/
Thanks, will try that.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #475 of 1,869
If you are using a LPS I will assume you have a power cable from AC (110v or 220v) to power the LPS. The LPS converts the AC to DC voltage. I would mod the IEC end of the power cable that feeds AC to the LPS, so it will have a ground box cable coming directly from the IEC connector of the power cable. This way you are filtering the AC power cable and the LPS directly. This is accomplished by adding a good ground box cable from the ground connection of the IEC connector.
Interesting, will try.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #476 of 1,869
I will be very interested in your reaction to the modded XLR cables after installation. Assuming you are using the solderless EIZZ connectors, I think the modded cable will pleasantly shock you.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #478 of 1,869
That xlr mod shocked my system into the next level.
Makes me happy others are trying the DIY mod for interconnect cables and are experiencing the performance gain from it.

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #479 of 1,869

The 7 AWG DIY - One 2.5 mm stranded (7 S. Silver cores) Xangsane + two 2.5 mm + one 2.0 mm + one 1.5 mm + one 0.75 mm Cu works for me ... The mundorf supreme takes really long time to burn in though ... Soon I will try another “ultimate” DIY grounding cable. It will be similar to the Entreq Atlantis SII Silver (2 bananas to 1 RCA) on my DAC.. Awaiting supplies ATM...

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #480 of 1,869

Users who are viewing this thread

Back