DIY Earbuds
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #4,516 of 4,721
I have tried the Nokias, I think but will have a look. Will a 15.4mm driver fit the SHE3800 shell?
According to the following page, the SHE3800 shell is likely to be compatible with 15.4 mm drivers.
https://shopee.co.id/Philips-SHE3800-i.198411749.6580075576

And the SHE3800 shell is identical to the Edifier H180 shell.
According to the following page, the H180 shell is likely to be compatible with 15.4 mm drivers.
https://www.bukalapak.com/p/elektro...2clcl-jual-housing-earbud-15-4mm-edifier-h180

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #4,517 of 4,721
Anyone have any Aliexpress links/recommendations for mmcx and 2-pin connectors? my next project is going to be an over-ear bud. Thanks!

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #4,519 of 4,721
New variant? 🤣
-1201292262579339563.jpg

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #4,521 of 4,721
Hi Everyone,
I have been wanting to get into DIY IEM's for a while but have no idea where to start. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask about this.

I'm a pre-med student with a neuroscience degree so I can talk all about chemistry and physiology, but pretty clueless when it comes to electrical engineering lol. I though that I could pull up a research article on it like I do for other fields of study but couldn't really find anything on IEM circuit design. I understand the principles of how drivers operate and what makes them function, but only have elementary experience with building circuits. Learning those things won't be much of a challenge, but beyond that, I would really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of some good resources that educate and walk you through the process of designing and building an IEM.

Not the most necessary, but I thought I'd give some background on what possessed me to go down this route so people don't think I just want an IEM with a specific frequency response or simply overzealous about a new thing that I thought was neat.
I bought my first half decent IEM at 13, the Sennheiser IE80. It kicked off an interest that introduced me to dozens of other sets, with my latest being the Vision Ears EXT. I've gone through all the flavors and heard enough exotic kilobuck sets that learning how to create my own seems like the next logical step in progressing my passion for music listening, and waiting around with cash in my hand for "the next big thing" is an inevitable finish line/graveyard in this hobby and many others that I would very much like to avoid. I know what it’s like to fall in love with a good set of speakers, but I'd like to find out what that feels like with the pride of knowing I made them, even if it takes a while to get it right.

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #4,522 of 4,721
Hi Everyone,
I have been wanting to get into DIY IEM's for a while but have no idea where to start. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask about this.

I'm a pre-med student with a neuroscience degree so I can talk all about chemistry and physiology, but pretty clueless when it comes to electrical engineering lol. I though that I could pull up a research article on it like I do for other fields of study but couldn't really find anything on IEM circuit design. I understand the principles of how drivers operate and what makes them function, but only have elementary experience with building circuits. Learning those things won't be much of a challenge, but beyond that, I would really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of some good resources that educate and walk you through the process of designing and building an IEM.

Not the most necessary, but I thought I'd give some background on what possessed me to go down this route so people don't think I just want an IEM with a specific frequency response or simply overzealous about a new thing that I thought was neat.
I bought my first half decent IEM at 13, the Sennheiser IE80. It kicked off an interest that introduced me to dozens of other sets, with my latest being the Vision Ears EXT. I've gone through all the flavors and heard enough exotic kilobuck sets that learning how to create my own seems like the next logical step in progressing my passion for music listening, and waiting around with cash in my hand for "the next big thing" is an inevitable finish line/graveyard in this hobby and many others that I would very much like to avoid. I know what it’s like to fall in love with a good set of speakers, but I'd like to find out what that feels like with the pride of knowing I made them, even if it takes a while to get it right.

I'm new to the DIY scene as well. Too bad it's not stickied but Rary's guide is awesome: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PRXhXgAr8N-EiNk3K9Cuqd36LeS5JB7ZuFDAgJbTCm8/htmlview#

It has a list of drivers and accessories with links (although some of the links expired but you can manually search the item and compare images), and a list of songs to test with convenient links to Spotify or YouTube.

As suggested, the first project to consider is the 32ohm N52 blue glue drivers because it's low cost, low risk. To my surprise, these sounded good with no mods.

My order of the 64ohm Comp. Ti. just arrived. Very popular here. I just put them together, stock, no mods and wow they sound pretty damn good--I can't imagine what modding them would do. I'm still waiting for a few pieces to arrive before I mod them, being it would be my first attempt at a rivet mod.

The value is in the DIY scene. I'm curious how these compare to the $$$ TOTL earbuds. Unfortunately, I do not have the funds to test my curiosity.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #4,524 of 4,721
I can't seem to find sellers selling premade MX500 shells with MMCX sockets (I found one listing but I don't want transparent shells). I was thinking of buying these to put into the shells:

2-pcs-custom-made-universal-pin-Socket-female-socket-mmcx-Pure-copper-gold-plated-Built-in.jpg_640x640.jpg

Do I need to prepare the shells before brute-forcing the sockets in, like threading the holes?

Otherwise, I might just buy some R4YS and desolder the drivers out.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #4,525 of 4,721
I can't seem to find sellers selling premade MX500 shells with MMCX sockets (I found one listing but I don't want transparent shells). I was thinking of buying these to put into the shells:

2-pcs-custom-made-universal-pin-Socket-female-socket-mmcx-Pure-copper-gold-plated-Built-in.jpg_640x640.jpg

Do I need to prepare the shells before brute-forcing the sockets in, like threading the holes?

Otherwise, I might just buy some R4YS and desolder the drivers out.
Buying some Ry4s mmcx and desoldering the drivers out is the most efficient way to make the MX500 shell mmcx compatible.

Otherwise,
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17617499

Oct 30, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #4,526 of 4,721
i found all of these way tooo bright
15.4 are even worse in that regard
Sharing my diy buds 300 ohms blue pet. Loving this neutral sound. Adding a 0.8mm hole in the blocked vent(back of the cable) of the shell makes punchy lows, meaty vocals and airy highs. I am using a shell with an engraved L/R on it btw.
20230516_155102-01.jpeg
Hello sir! Good afternoon,
Can you give me a guide for this? it would mean alot to me. or i can send you a message request on facebook?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back