DIY Earbuds
Jul 31, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #4,324 of 4,749
hi, i want to build my 1st DIY earbuds, in pict number 1, is it the same driver 150 BG that u guys recommend for beginner? because it has red ring circle..

btw, in picture below 1 to 4, which driver has deep bas, great separation and great soundstage?

Attachments

• driver DIY earbuds.png
    driver DIY earbuds.png
    419.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #4,326 of 4,749
Out of curiousity and mostly as a question of bass and treble extension
has anyone stuffed for example a planar and a dd in one bud or is full range extension possible-ish.

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #4,327 of 4,749
As much as I know there is only 'Rose mochiito' who managed to place 2 dd in one shell, have no idea how it sounds but in technical viewpoint its extremely difficult to extract something good from this scheme in earbud format. And learning from ready products of companies planar is better utilised in single driver scheme.

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #4,328 of 4,749
As much as I know there is only 'Rose mochiito' who managed to place 2 dd in one shell, have no idea how it sounds but in technical viewpoint its extremely difficult to extract something good from this scheme in earbud format. And learning from ready products of companies planar is better utilised in single driver scheme.
ive heard planar needs a seal to work well
not sure if that's true or not.

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #4,331 of 4,749
Is there a driver guide with any measurements
I saw that wood shell on ali and now I want to see if I can have a nice new project to listen to
I haven't seen any measurements but in my humble opinion wooden shell for diy is the best choice for various drivers..
I tried classic mx500, different metal ones but in the end best sound comes from wooden.

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #4,332 of 4,749
I haven't seen any measurements but in my humble opinion wooden shell for diy is the best choice for various drivers..
I tried classic mx500, different metal ones but in the end best sound comes from wooden.
Problem for me sound wise is
will shell types/drivers produce too much pinna gain and what is their extension in both directions like.

also ive never done this before

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #4,334 of 4,749
Out of curiousity and mostly as a question of bass and treble extension
has anyone stuffed for example a planar and a dd in one bud or is full range extension possible-ish.
Not that I am aware of.
The maria and maria ii also have that.
Is there a driver guide with any measurements
I saw that wood shell on ali and now I want to see if I can have a nice new project to listen to

Problem for me sound wise is
will shell types/drivers produce too much pinna gain and what is their extension in both directions like.

also ive never done this before

Is there a guide on driver selection with measurements
I want to try and make something with basically no pinna gain and that's my main requirement.

Sorry, no one has a resource like that. You may find some stuff in this thread or elsewhere. But the problem is everyone's rigs measure a bit differently and there's no repository that you can reference.

You'll have to experiment. Usually more restriction raises pinna gain (ie thicker foam/cotton). Problem is, if you go to far the other way it may sound flabby, wonky or otherwise weird.

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #4,335 of 4,749
So, I meant to share this a LONG time ago but forgot to upload it.

Full foams vs. Donut Foam vs. my offset donut foams.

Earbud foam covers_123254.jpg

Surprisingly on measurements the Donut foams provided the most bass. But our ears don't seem to hear it that way, most of us seem to hear more treble and detail.

I also took some time to do some more tuning on my 150Ω redfilm drivers retrofitted to stainless mesh covers and MMCX modded K's LBBs shells.

K's LBBs Shell 150Ω Red Film_121941.jpg
IMG_20210820_185241.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back