DIY Earbuds
Jul 1, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #4,306 of 4,707
Earphone Audio Cable 1.2M Silver-coated Copper Wire Earphone Maintenance Wire for DIY Replacement Headphone Audio Cable #20
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLMPa9c
Only problem is I dont have the tools necessary to actually make put the earbuds I want together. So If you have a link for completed cable that can simply be plugged into the earbuds that are skinny like yours, that would be great. Or if you know a person who runs a DIY earbud service on here maybe I can have him or her do a custom build.

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #4,308 of 4,707
^this.

Also scuff the shell with 400-600 grit sandpaper or scotch-brite pads. The glossy surface is not as good for adhesion as a rougher matte finish.
Stupid question but is it possible to buy the buds- and just tape around the sensitive areas and spray paint after sanding? I do not know how to put earbuds together using all the materials so buying readymade and then customizing seems to be my only option.

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #4,309 of 4,707
Stupid question but is it possible to buy the buds- and just tape around the sensitive areas and spray paint after sanding? I do not know how to put earbuds together using all the materials so buying readymade and then customizing seems to be my only option.

Yes. If you tape off, plug or cover any areas that need to be (vents, holes, ports, cable, connectors, driver cover/grill, etc.).

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,310 of 4,707
Hi everyone, I’m a newbie when it comes to this. This is my 2nd DIY earbud, but I find the exposed wires too long for the shell. The knot is as far up as it can go. If I snap the casing together, the raw wires might touch. It might be a silly question, but would this affect sound quality, would it be noticeable?

Attachments

• CFA41F71-101E-4DD2-B6C8-CD9AB501EC72.jpeg
    CFA41F71-101E-4DD2-B6C8-CD9AB501EC72.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #4,311 of 4,707
Hi everyone, I’m a newbie when it comes to this. This is my 2nd DIY earbud, but I find the exposed wires too long for the shell. The knot is a far up as it can go. If I snap the casing together, the raw wires might touch. It might be a silly question, but would this affect sound quality, would it be noticeable?
The wires are typically coated with varnish which acts as a very thin insulator. Unless you've stripped it clean, it should be fine.

I usually just turn the driver half to one rotation, as I put the driver on.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #4,312 of 4,707
The wires are typically coated with varnish which acts as a very thin insulator. Unless you've stripped it clean, it should be fine.

I usually just turn the driver half to one rotation, as I put the driver on.
Thank you @assassin10000! I bought three pairs of drivers and am assembling them today. The cable ends were very long. That’s a relief.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #4,313 of 4,707
150BG, medium foam on the shell + Y3 or Y4 should be fine. N52 should sound good even whitout changing the pre-applied foam although it is usually a good idea to always replace it with a more standard HS.
May I ask how the W_T_F affects the stock sound on the 150BG? I assembled the driver yesterday. And now I’m curious.

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #4,316 of 4,707
Hi everyone, I’m a newbie when it comes to this. This is my 2nd DIY earbud, but I find the exposed wires too long for the shell. The knot is as far up as it can go. If I snap the casing together, the raw wires might touch. It might be a silly question, but would this affect sound quality, would it be noticeable?
Good drivers 👍

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #4,317 of 4,707
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #4,320 of 4,707
hi guys) i have vido blue and white. I really like them, my hands itch, I want to experiment with them, can I somehow upgrade them, improve the sound, or is this a bad idea?)
Vido flatheads are a little glued so you would have to be careful as I have easily damaged the thin voicecoil wire while opening (twice, on two separate occasions on two separate buds). My advice, if you choose to risk the damage, is to open them slowly and try to carefully wedge something (non magetic) in place over the driver unit to keep it from moving with the shell while you seperate the shell and the faceplate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back