DIY Earbuds
Aug 20, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #4,336 of 4,718
Not that I am aware of.

The maria and maria ii also have that.

Sorry, no one has a resource like that. You may find some stuff in this thread or elsewhere. But the problem is everyone's rigs measure a bit differently and there's no repository that you can reference.

You'll have to experiment. Usually more restriction raises pinna gain (ie thicker foam/cotton). Problem is, if you go to far the other way it may sound flabby, wonky or otherwise weird.
Any notable 32ohm drivers that tend to produce less pinna gain then or is it basically entirely down to the reflections caused by the restriction?

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #4,337 of 4,718
So Ive found a driver I might like
however it's got 3 solder pads for balanced output and I plan on using a 3.5mm aux so would I just not solder a connection to one of the pads or is it incompatible
I assume the prior.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #4,338 of 4,718
Any notable 32ohm drivers that tend to produce less pinna gain then or is it basically entirely down to the reflections caused by the restriction?
I've mostly stuck with 14.8mm size drivers, as my smaller concha don't like 15.4mm size earbuds.

The 2 least bright drivers of the 14.8mm ones I've tried are the 40Ω ti and the 120Ω beryllium. Unfortunately the 40Ω titanium does have a steeper treble roll off than most and the 120Ω beryllium needs more output than most headphone jacks though.

Given your want for 'flat' fr and easy to drive (cell phone 3.5mm). I'd try the 32Ω ti first, if you need brighter/more treble extension try the 64Ω n55 or darker the 40Ω ti.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #4,339 of 4,718
So Ive found a driver I might like
however it's got 3 solder pads for balanced output and I plan on using a 3.5mm aux so would I just not solder a connection to one of the pads or is it incompatible
I assume the prior.
Drivers should only have 2 connections. Balanced is 4 total at the jack end (2 each driver) instead of shared ground so 3 at the jack.

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #4,340 of 4,718
Drivers should only have 2 connections. Balanced is 4 total at the jack end (2 each driver) instead of shared ground so 3 at the jack.
That doesn't answer the question of if I can make a balanced driver work for an unbalanced connection
would I just solder both pads or leave one?

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #4,342 of 4,718
That doesn't answer the question of if I can make a balanced driver work for an unbalanced connection
would I just solder both pads or leave one?
If they say balanced in the listing, that means lows/mids/highs are balanced... Not that it's a driver for a balanced cable/connection.

All drivers can be used single ended OR balanced. It just depends on what cable you solder to it (or in the case of MMCX/2-pin, plug into).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #4,343 of 4,718

Hi, since single ended cable (is that even the right terminology?) has shared ground at the jack end, does that mean the shared ground cable split somewhere around the Y-split? I remember the driver end has a gold and a red or blue cable.

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #4,344 of 4,718
Hi, since single ended cable (is that even the right terminology?) has shared ground at the jack end, does that mean the shared ground cable split somewhere around the Y-split? I remember the driver end has a gold and a red or blue cable.
Depends on the cable. Some are at the Y but braided cables are usually at the jack.

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #4,345 of 4,718
Depends on the cable. Some are at the Y but braided cables are usually at the jack.

So there are 4 cables. With single ended connection, we have two soldered to ground, one left, one right. If the jack is balanced, then 4 cables become L+ L- and R+ R-?

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #4,349 of 4,718
The soldering pad next to the red dot belongs to the voice coil under neath. The pads that you solder are the ones opposite to those two.

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #4,350 of 4,718
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKspFW4
driver description states it is 3 way which explains the solder pads but I still don't know why it is 3 way if there's meant to be 2 pads

F89B05FF-A4DC-4418-B485-46D4ACB062F0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back