DIY Earbuds
Dec 20, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #4,081 of 4,718
My 300 ohm dlc is already here, i got every part except the cable, since i mention im gonna build a "CAX zoomfred" inspired looks, my mogami 2799 still on the way, and look exactly like zoomfred cable, but we never know right?

Anyway how is it compared to 600ohm papa bery? especially the soundstage, or how do u mod urs to have a huge soundstage? im eager to learn modding, all i know for now are just horseshoe damper, and housing drill. is there any specific thing i should do to tune these DLC drivers?

I buy several local earbuds just to see how they tune, i had an abnormal t2 before, there is a small drill hole on the housing at the bottom near the driver. also had a willsound mk2 before.
thx before
I don't have the 600ohm berry because they're expensive.

Modding depends on hundreds of factors.

For me, when I get a new driver, I run it in the basic MX500 setup with horeshoe foam on the shell and not touching the driver. That's the baseline. I let the driver burn in (if it help, I don't believe in it), but I let myself experience the "stock" sound for a while. Then I start modding.

Some drivers just have natural soundstage. The DLC driver from NSC has foam on them, so they're producing the soundstage from the driver itself. Even like 19/21 red-dots have this (as comes without foam or cotton on the back). Compare that to 64ohm Full-ti (black-dot 19/21) which want a lot of air--when you rivet mod these, they open up a lot in both bass and soundstage, otherwise they sound flat, boring, neutral bass, very forward with not much soundstage. But then there's other drivers out there that like little to no air from the case, as seen in Blur, Newbsound, maybe Willsound(?).

That's the fun of modding. Try different things, see what sticks to what you prefer. My suggestion: Run stock for a while, then try giving the driver more air with less foam/cotton on the back because this more often helps, and then try less air which doesn't often help. From there it's a balancing act for what you want. My 64ohm Full-ti rivet mods, I'll say, has too big of a rivet (1/8inch (3.2mm) rather than 2.4mm) so they're not as "perfect" as they could be, but I like the sound so they're staying that way.

Small note: You said you ordered a Mogami cable. Depending on the thickness of the cable in the MX500 cable tunnel, you might have less air passing through it. RY cables are SUPER thin and allow a lot of air, but other cables can be more restrictive. One of my first lessons, and a oops I posted here, was I put heat shrink on the RY cable and that sealed a lot of air from the drivers so they felt bass-light. Taking that off changed the sound like night and day.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #4,082 of 4,718
I don't have the 600ohm berry because they're expensive.

Modding depends on hundreds of factors.

For me, when I get a new driver, I run it in the basic MX500 setup with horeshoe foam on the shell and not touching the driver. That's the baseline. I let the driver burn in (if it help, I don't believe in it), but I let myself experience the "stock" sound for a while. Then I start modding.

Some drivers just have natural soundstage. The DLC driver from NSC has foam on them, so they're producing the soundstage from the driver itself. Even like 19/21 red-dots have this (as comes without foam or cotton on the back). Compare that to 64ohm Full-ti (black-dot 19/21) which want a lot of air--when you rivet mod these, they open up a lot in both bass and soundstage, otherwise they sound flat, boring, neutral bass, very forward with not much soundstage. But then there's other drivers out there that like little to no air from the case, as seen in Blur, Newbsound, maybe Willsound(?).

That's the fun of modding. Try different things, see what sticks to what you prefer. My suggestion: Run stock for a while, then try giving the driver more air with less foam/cotton on the back because this more often helps, and then try less air which doesn't often help. From there it's a balancing act for what you want. My 64ohm Full-ti rivet mods, I'll say, has too big of a rivet (1/8inch (3.2mm) rather than 2.4mm) so they're not as "perfect" as they could be, but I like the sound so they're staying that way.

Small note: You said you ordered a Mogami cable. Depending on the thickness of the cable in the MX500 cable tunnel, you might have less air passing through it. RY cables are SUPER thin and allow a lot of air, but other cables can be more restrictive. One of my first lessons, and a oops I posted here, was I put heat shrink on the RY cable and that sealed a lot of air from the drivers so they felt bass-light. Taking that off changed the sound like night and day.
noted and thanks! i will avoid adding heatshrink at the cable port, i also try other mx500 housing variant if possible, maybe the tc200 shell or the one with print marking, both seems slightly have bigger chamber? based on the previous post that i read. im planning to make the soundstage as wide as possible without adding too much bass

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #4,083 of 4,718
noted and thanks! i will avoid adding heatshrink at the cable port, i also try other mx500 housing variant if possible, maybe the tc200 shell or the one with print marking, both seems slightly have bigger chamber? based on the previous post that i read. im planning to make the soundstage as wide as possible without adding too much bass
I've heard that the cheapy shells can have some weirdness in the cable port hole, but I never had these. (I drop a drill bit down these holes to check).

As for adding soundstage without too much bass, maybe drill some holes in the back of the shells. MX500 shells need more air. But, again, this depends on the driver, dampening, etc..

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #4,084 of 4,718
IMG_20211220_151300.jpg
im glad i went for rhodium plug for my DLC build (plug by PAPRI), and a mogami cable, i hope it add a bit of treble for the L shape sound of the DLC driver (sry for the crappy picture)
I seriously cant wait for my cable
Where do you source Mogami cable that can fit into earbuds? I’d like to have it just for feel. Mogami makes some incredibly flexible guitar cable that has less microphonics than anything I’ve tried.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #4,085 of 4,718
Where do you source Mogami cable that can fit into earbuds? I’d like to have it just for feel. Mogami makes some incredibly flexible guitar cable that has less microphonics than anything I’ve tried.
some local music store have a stock of neglex 2893, and for the 2799 i imported these, anyway in aliexpress you can found an alternative cable which is canare, i bought the L4E5-AT, same quad cores like 2893, similiar diameter but a slightly stiffer jacket. the 2893 and 2799 are known to be used in some of iem & headphone diy cable, im just curious on an earbud application, most of these diy-er cable like how they sound

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #4,086 of 4,718
PET diaphgram.png
PET diaphgram 1.png

So jietu (the shopee one) are selling these driver, my 1st time seeing these, and they cost the same as 600 ohm beryllium, here are the copy/paste description :

"15.4mm Earphones Speaker Unit High-end PET blue diamond Diaphragm Carbon nanotubes 32 Ohm Resin diaphragm HiFi Flat Earphones DIY Earphones Drivers Features: This speaker unit is 3 way balanced. solid low frequency, warm vocal mid-frequency, high resolution. The characteristics are better than LCP diaphragm and softer than LCP diaphragm speaker unit. It can make sure vocal is clear and warm while ensuring the powerful of low frequency. 15.4mm PET diaphragm speaker unit, the diaphragm is blue color. This speaker unit is common to MX500 shell, impedance is 32 Ohm, easy to push. PET is a polymer resin material, it has strong high temperature and low temperature resistance. It's used to make the earphones speaker unit diaphragm not easy to be deformed and damaged, and the shrinkage stability is good."

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #4,088 of 4,718
That driver makes me feel thirsty for some reason. :)

the Mogami look to be a difficult fit/heavy for a bud.
You haven't seen/held a higher tiered Cypherus Audio (CAX) earbud model then! Literally looks/feels like lamp cord or medium size speaker cable affixed to a MX500 shell. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Joking aside I think the thicker/heavier gauged cabling does indeed makes earbuds awfully unruly fit wise and more prone to fall out.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #4,089 of 4,718
You haven't seen/held a higher tiered Cypherus Audio (CAX) earbud model then! Literally looks/feels like lamp cord or medium size speaker cable affixed to a MX500 shell. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Joking aside I think the thicker/heavier gauged cabling does indeed makes earbuds awfully unruly fit wise and more prone to fall out.
Mr W. what do you think about Blue Diaphragm driver? If they used this bottle for the driver (FANTA SHOKATA) bottle I will probably skip it because I don't like the flavor:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
1640453411032.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #4,090 of 4,718
It's finally time to share the DIY guide i kept teasing for the past months :ksc75smile:
It's mostly a collection of all my recent experiments and all knowledge shared in this thread.
I hope it will help more people get into the hobby and maybe inspire more seasoned DIYourselfers too.

Here's the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PRXhXgAr8N-EiNk3K9Cuqd36LeS5JB7ZuFDAgJbTCm8/edit#gid=0

It's still an ongoing project but most of the work is done. I will keep adding new stuff as i test them.
I want to thank everyone who supported me in the project.
If anyone wants to further contribute or share some opinions feel free to contact me. :wink:

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #4,091 of 4,718
It's finally time to share the DIY guide i kept teasing for the past months :ksc75smile:
It's mostly a collection of all my recent experiments and all knowledge shared in this thread.
I hope it will help more people get into the hobby and maybe inspire more seasoned DIYourselfers too.

Here's the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PRXhXgAr8N-EiNk3K9Cuqd36LeS5JB7ZuFDAgJbTCm8/edit#gid=0

It's still an ongoing project but most of the work is done. I will keep adding new stuff as i test them.
If anyone wants to further contribute or share some opinions feel free to contact me. :wink:
Great job, Mr @Rary :beerchug:. I hope this guide will help anyone interested in this hobby

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #4,092 of 4,718

Here's the link:

it looks great...
seems to answer many questions I was asking to myself, in case I decide to try the hobby

thank you

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #4,093 of 4,718

Here's the link:

Holy moly, a most excellent DIY Earbuds guide! Beyond helpful. Really thoughtfully and carefully laid out and put together with outstanding detail. Well done good sir, well done!

In regards to beryllium please read this post I made not too long back on the Earbuds Round-Up thread. I am afraid many people misunderstand beryllium thinking that it can cause berylliosis in all it's states (forms) and that this will happen even when simply handling and/or lightly working with it which is actually far from the case. Now with that said it is indeed nice to warn people of the potential toxicity and dangers of beryllium fine dust-fumes (they are quite serious) there has never been a documented case of beryllium poisoning from an end state form and/or light processing. I assure you it can be lightly machined and worked with (handled) at no risk.

I myself was exposed to a number of it's forms and states throughout my career, due to my previous profession with the government, and underwent numerous beryllium safety related trainings due to this exposure and those rare potentially dangerous situations involving beryllium which I was also unfortunately exposed to but luckily did not suffer ill effects from (possibly due to under exposure and/or the quick treatment with prednisone). In most cases it usually requires multiple heavy exposures over a long period of time (breathing in and absorbing enough beryllium laced fumes) and even then heavy exposure does not always cause berylliosis which has baffled medical doctors.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #4,094 of 4,718
Holy moly, a most excellent DIY Earbuds guide! Beyond helpful. Really thoughtfully and carefully laid out and put together with outstanding detail. Well done good sir, well done!

In regards to beryllium please read this post I made not too long back on the Earbuds Round-Up thread. I am afraid many people misunderstand beryllium thinking that it can cause berylliosis in all it's states (forms) and that this will happen even when simply handling and/or lightly working with it which is actually far from the case. Now with that said it is indeed nice to warn people of the potential toxicity and dangers of beryllium fine dust-fumes (they are quite serious) there has never been a documented case of beryllium poisoning from an end state form and/or light processing. I assure you it can be lightly machined and worked with (handled) at no risk.

I myself was exposed to a number of it's forms and states throughout my career, due to my previous profession with the government, and underwent numerous beryllium safety related trainings due to this exposure and those rare potentially dangerous situations involving beryllium which I was also unfortunately exposed to but luckily did not suffer ill effects from (possibly due to under exposure and/or the quick treatment with prednisone). In most cases it usually requires multiple heavy exposures over a long period of time (breathing in and absorbing enough beryllium laced fumes) and even then heavy exposure does not always cause berylliosis which has baffled medical doctors.
Thank you for the kind words and for the clarification about beryllium, i will remove all the warnings and if it's not a problem i'd like to add a link to your post. As a DIY guide i just felt like it was important to warn about the potential risks connected to beryllium since you never know what crazy things people might do to their drivers:sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back