DIY Earbuds
Jan 21, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #2,911 of 4,714
Do you think that either the 500 or the 600 diy drivers have a close sound signature regarding the k600?

Where did you get your k600?
Had and sold a couple years ago, can't remember where I bought it, maybe nicehck or one of the unspoken stores that rhymes with Foo sleazy

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,913 of 4,714
Do you think that either the 500 or the 600 diy drivers have a close sound signature regarding the k600?

Where did you get your k600?
None of the drivers I have bought have a similar sound, sadly.
But I haven't listened to them in some time, I can say that the 400ohm and 130ohm get on a similar sound quality, I feel they are so go that I rarely feel like buying anything brand name anymore

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #2,914 of 4,714
Received my drivers, the 19-21 pink dot are really great, too bad they don't fit the mx500 shell, the red dot is still burning in

The 120ohm 14.8mm Bery I am still tuning, not bad, but not awesome yet.....

But I am enjoying playing with the hole in the rear of the driver, removing the filter tamed the mid bass a bit, but gets weird in the mids

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #2,915 of 4,714
Received my drivers, the 19-21 pink dot are really great, too bad they don't fit the mx500 shell, the red dot is still burning in

The 120ohm 14.8mm Bery I am still tuning, not bad, but not awesome yet.....

But I am enjoying playing with the hole in the rear of the driver, removing the filter tamed the mid bass a bit, but gets weird in the mids
That kind of drivers (with center vent) are definitely tuned differently compared to newer models.
Such drivers have often been used on older models that have this type of shell.
sony-mdr-parts.jpg

The picture shows that the size of the shell cavity is very small. With a standard driver (with no central vent) the sound would be congested.
Anyway... With this earphone design, the sound is quite spacious and the bass is very well-defined. They use 13.5mm driver with center vent

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #2,916 of 4,714
Just built the 19-21 red dot (right side) and I have to say, it's not as dynamic as the pink dot variant, but the titanium variants are sensitive so it's expected. I'll probably change my impressions once I give my full comparisons.

It's really good for chill music sessions though! I'm also surprised that the green dot (left side) is more treble heavy than the red dot, seeing how my impressions on its titanium versions were.
IMG_20210121_181127.jpg

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #2,917 of 4,714
If any of you guys have a pair of monk light 120ohm.....

They sat in my box of broken stuff (cable went bad about 2 years back) I never liked the tuning but they came free.

So on my last order I had gotten extra 14.8mm pk shells with covers from nsc, so while I was waiting for my 120ohm Bery to burn in I decided to dig out those monk lights, carefully transplanted the drivers to the pk style covers.

Spent hours trying to tune it, got really good results, so far better then the berylliums.

Slightly more sub bass with fairly good highs.

Very surprised

Also noticed there still selling them, for $20 ...

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #2,919 of 4,714
Hi, Could you tell me step by step how you removed the driver without damaging it and then transfer it to a new shell? and with what did you join them? thank u
I didn't, I never said I did, I said I had them, then sold them

I did recable the samsara's (similar build, slightly better) just gently pulled apart drivers, un soldered, then changed cable, soldered, that's it

Don't go above 350° move as quickly as possible, use Flux, tin the cable leads, then place cable on the solder pad, add solder to your iron, touch it to the solder pad and tinned wire, it shouldn't take longer then a second

If you are new to this, buy something for practice first

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #2,920 of 4,714
Dear DIY fellows,

Is there any safe way to open a glued shell?

I've tried to open one of my glued sets by means of a heater but I ended up with two melted shells (my only set of 14.8mm 150 ohm red film :frowning2:).

Thank you

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,921 of 4,714
Dear DIY fellows,

I've tried to open one of my glued sets by means of a heater but I ended up with two melted shells (my only set of 14.8mm 150 ohm red film :frowning2:).

Thank you
With something like this and maybe very carefully heating with hairdryer. II usually put the thin nozzle on it to have better control over where the heat goes. Try to find the spot where the shell has a rectangular cut on the edge (if it has any) and open there. Usually this works, but sometimes the glue is so hard that the plastic simply breaks apart
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844850846.html

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,922 of 4,714
Dear DIY fellows,

Thank you
I'm sorry to hear that. Why 14.8mm "red film" :sob:
Last time when I try to detach the driver I putted shells in a plastic bag and drown in hot water.
Another time I wrap up shell in aluminum foil and hit up with lighter. For this method you need to be very careful.
Both ways seem very primitive but in 80% of cases they work, the other 5% is destroyed and 15% impossible to disassemble (damn glue)

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #2,923 of 4,714
With something like this and maybe very carefully heating with hairdryer. II usually put the thin nozzle on it to have better control over where the heat goes. Try to find the spot where the shell has a rectangular cut on the edge (if it has any) and open there. Usually this works, but sometimes the glue is so hard that the plastic simply breaks apart
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844850846.html
Ooooo...man. Where are you, long time no see?

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #2,924 of 4,714
Dear DIY fellows,

Thank you

Hair dryer works for me. Heat up the sides of the faceplates for 5-8 seconds on high - hot mode (the hottest mode that your particular hair drier has, if you use a heat gun then lower it a bit), pry open a bit, then repeat the same thing until you could visually see the lips that opens it and then you could pry it slowly until it opens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back