DIY Earbuds
Jan 27, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #2,927 of 4,722
Ooooo...man. Where are you, long time no see?
I'm okay thanks. :) Not much news about earbuds, but I've received both the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and the Fiio uBTR this week. I've just started to test them so it's early for detailed impressions but I'm very satisfied with them so far, both met my expectations and work well without any trouble. :)

Maybe the only worthwhile thing to share is that I experienced once again the importance of power output. As you may know, the Sonata HD Pro adjust the gain automatically when a device is connected, but the high gain mode can be "forced" by plugging an empty extension cord first. This way I could test the sound in auto vs high gain mode and with higher impedance gear the difference is significant. The Faaeal Rosemary for example is pretty hard to drive and it sounds dark and soft without proper amping, regardless of the actual listening volume. With auto gain, it showed the same symptoms as with my other not powerful sources, but when I used the extension cord trick it came alive, and sounded punchy and U shaped as it should be. :)

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #2,928 of 4,722
Not much news about earbuds
Who said that? :wink:

4 AIWA's , 2 Philips and AKG. Vintage rare gems.
I got them yesterday, still testing. They are in excellent condition, literally unused and they need a bit of break-in.
The Aiwa is really something special compared to Philips and AKG. Two models has asymmetrical cables that I don't like,
so I'm thinking of replacing cables.
There are 2 more models I didn't take because they have a plug (3.5mm + some kind of USB like) specially designed for their Walkman. Maybe I'll take that in the end.
I met some guy who has been collecting headphones since '80 and he has around 200 models. Probably not all in ideal condition but...and you already know what I'm thinking :yum:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #2,929 of 4,722

I got them yesterday, still testing. They are in excellent condition, literally unused and they need a bit of break-in.
The Aiwa is really something special compared to Philips and AKG. Two models has asymmetrical cables that I don't like,
There are 2 more models I didn't take because they have a plug (3.5mm + some kind of USB like) specially designed for their Walkman. Maybe I'll take that in the end.
I met some guy who has been collecting headphones since '80 and he has around 200 models. Probably not all in ideal condition but...and you already know what I'm thinking :yum:
Nice!
I have an earbud with very similar shell to the second from left, it was a mono bud bundled with my guitar tuner :D Maybe you remember that I opened it up and could put on 15mm covers on it (like B40 or some steel mesh 14.8mm variants) I guess it's a classic shell design that was copied a lot in various quality, like the mx500.

Btw I'm trying out bluetooth audio on my windows the first time and while it works fine, I'm unable to find any info about what codec is used or anything like that. With my android phones, I can check it via developer options, I can even switch between different codecs on the fly. Is there anything similar on windows? I just want to make sure it uses apt-x and not sbc.

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,930 of 4,722
Nice!
I have an earbud with very similar shell to the second from left, it was a mono bud bundled with my guitar tuner :D Maybe you remember that I opened it up and could put on 15mm covers on it (like B40 or some steel mesh 14.8mm variants) I guess it's a classic shell design that was copied a lot in various quality, like the mx500.

Btw I'm trying out bluetooth audio on my windows the first time and while it works fine, I'm unable to find any info about what codec is used or anything like that. With my android phones, I can check it via developer options, I can even switch between different codecs on the fly. Is there anything similar on windows? I just want to make sure it uses apt-x and not sbc.
Your PC uses Intel or AMD processor and not Qualcomm Snapdragon :wink:
Unfortunately, there are no such drivers for Windows and Mac

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #2,931 of 4,722
Alright, I've got a basic question for you all. Just got these red dot 32 ohm drivers but I'm not sure which side is positive. I know that it normally is on the side with the dot but these are on the opposite side compared to my other earbud drivers.

So this doesn't happen the future, could someone tell me how to do this with a multimeter? I know how to check impedance and continuity but not this lol. Here is a pic of the drivers for reference.

Attachments

• 20210127_195205.jpg
    20210127_195205.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #2,932 of 4,722
Your PC uses Intel or AMD processor and not Qualcomm Snapdragon :wink:
Unfortunately, there are no such drivers for Windows and Mac
I use an usb dongle that supports aptx and many intel notebook wireless chipsets support it also. As far as I know, windows should have native aptx support without any additional driver, it just doesn't display the current codec anywhere. But the latency is very good, I could even play a bit Battlefront 2 without any distracting delay, maybe there is a very small amount but its better than I expected, so maybe aptx already works

Alright, I've got a basic question for you all. Just got these red dot 32 ohm drivers but I'm not sure which side is positive. I know that it normally is on the side with the dot but these are on the opposite side compared to my other earbud drivers.

So this doesn't happen the future, could someone tell me how to do this with a multimeter? I know how to check impedance and continuity but not this lol. Here is a pic of the drivers for reference.
As far as I know, it shouldn't matter which is positive, the point is to match the two sides

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #2,936 of 4,722
Been enjoying these 19-21 pink dots, really rumbly bass, decent treble, recently grabbed a dx120, so now I will need to balance out a series of buds

The 130ohm 6pack sounded really good in wooden shells(until I broke them)

You guys were not wrong about these 19-21 drivers, I think they are definitely the best low impedance drivers, hands down!

I also re tuned the 64ohm composite, and these things are sub bass monsters, awesome for movies and bassheads

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #2,937 of 4,722

Congratulations on your new treasure). Can you share your impressions of aiwa in the photo?
Screenshot_20210128-135056.png

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #2,938 of 4,722
I have a question regarding the pk1 150ohm red film drivers. Seller seemes to have 4 options for the driver. 1. 2 purple dot
2.purple and orange dot 3.orange dot and 4 no colour dot. Doesn anyone know which one is the original pk1? or what are the differences (or anyone who can translate the chinese)?
F031064F-C774-4E57-9FAD-0A62B56BF03C.jpeg

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #2,939 of 4,722
Congratulations on your new treasure). Can you share your impressions of aiwa in the photo?Screenshot_20210128-135056.png
I will share my impressions for each model separately on Earbuds Roundup thread as soon as the break-in is over.
If I decide to re-cable one of these I will post some photos of internals here.

The model you mentioned is the simplest of all 4 pairs in terms of appearance and construction, but it has the best ergonomics and sound balance. It's a model
AIWA HP-V051 Super Bass aka Dream Bass (1996-1998)
Driver diameter: 15mm ; Impedance: 16Ω ; Sensitivity: 102dB/mW ; Frequency Response: 10Hz-25kHz ; Max Power Input: 40mW
I am also impressed by how pleasant the plastic shells are. The truth is what they say that in that period they did not use cheap parts and materials.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #2,940 of 4,722
I will share my impressions for each model separately on Earbuds Roundup thread as soon as the break-in is over.
If I decide to re-cable one of these I will post some photos of internals here.

The model you mentioned is the simplest of all 4 pairs in terms of appearance and construction, but it has the best ergonomics and sound balance. It's a model
AIWA HP-V051 Super Bass aka Dream Bass (1996-1998)
Driver diameter: 15mm ; Impedance: 16Ω ; Sensitivity: 102dB/mW ; Frequency Response: 10Hz-25kHz ; Max Power Input: 40mW
I am also impressed by how pleasant the plastic shells are. The truth is what they say that in that period they did not use cheap parts and materials.
I owned the HP-V051 about 20 years ago. I wonder what emotions they can evoke now. I will be waiting for your feedback. Thank you!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back