DIY Earbuds
Nov 25, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,186 of 4,707
Your welcome :)
If mx760 drivers snaps in those H180 shells, that would be a dream of comfort I would say. I will check this in the next few days :)
I will try them in my few other mixed/exotic shells collection (wood, metal, etc) and stay you tuned.
Thanks, sounds awesome :) I think it should snap on most 15.4mm shells, especially those which are compatible with steel mesh covers, except mx500 (which is too deep), but we'll see. Looking forward to your impressions

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,187 of 4,707
Thanks, sounds awesome :) I think it should snap on most 15.4mm shells, especially those which are compatible with steel mesh covers, except mx500 (which is too deep), but we'll see. Looking forward to your impressions
As promised :)
The MX760 drivers snaps perfectly on those two shells (but no other from any of my collection) :

IMG_20191125_182645~2.jpg
IMG_20191125_182749~2.jpg
IMG_20191125_182837~2.jpg

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,188 of 4,707
The MX760 drivers snaps perfectly on those two shells (but no other from any of my collection) :
Thanks, this is good news already! Will you try one of these in terms of sound quality? I'll try snapping it to my collection too and post which was compatible, after I received and fixed everything. The wooden shell I ordered seems to have a bigger chamber compared to yours, and made from slightly different material, but the store says it'll be compatible. I remember you said that the wooden shell was a bit large for you. I guess this smaller cover would help a bit with its size, not as thick as mx500 front covers. :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #1,189 of 4,707
Thanks, this is good news already! Will you try one of these in terms of sound quality? I'll try snapping it to my collection too and post which was compatible, after I received and fixed everything. The wooden shell I ordered seems to have a bigger chamber compared to yours, and made from slightly different material, but the store says it'll be compatible. I remember you said that the wooden shell was a bit large for you. I guess this smaller cover would help a bit with its size, not as thick as mx500 front covers. :)
Sure, I will try the wood mod with the MX760 drivers for the fun and stay you tuned. The metal shells project is abandonned as I found it too "cheap" in hand (loose MMCX, and the circle on where we "snap" drivers covers is extremely fragile).

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #1,190 of 4,707

Wireless earbuds... :wink:

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,193 of 4,707
Anyone know where I can buy some cheap Edifier "H180" shells type? (@golov17 maybe? :D)
Those shells are terrific in term of sound performance and comfort, my new DIY flagship is now based on them! (photos to come very soon)
only
US $2.75 31%OFF | Headphones In Ear Sport Earphones 3.5 mm Bass Sweatproof Stereo Gaming Earbuds for Huawei Galaxy s6 xiaomi smartphone Aliexpress
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/brpJUwns

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,195 of 4,707
Nov 28, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,196 of 4,707
I received one new driver, what I call “19hz-21khz bass unit” :D The most interesting fact: this has a bit tighter outer edge compared to other mx500 front covers, so it snaps on very well on different shells. The fit reminds me of steel mesh covers, for example I can perfectly snap this on the Qian69 shell, while other mx500 drivers are very loose usually. So the compatibility is very good, doesn't need glue which is very good news for me haha. I didn't have much time to test, but my first impression is that it's quite similar to EMX500 drivers, but deeper bass, and maybe a little bit more v-shaped. I didn't have time for burning or deeper side by side comparison, but I can say it's at least as good as emx500, and the tighter fit alone makes it more useful to me. It think it will be an excellent candidate for alternative shells, both the compatibility and the sound signature seems pretty nice for that. There are quite a few versions of these drivers, with different sound signatures etc. so this will be a good base for further experiments/purchases.
(this is the 19-21khz bass unit) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000281063945.html

Anyone know where I can buy some cheap Edifier "H180" shells type? (@golov17 maybe? :D)
Those shells are terrific in term of sound performance and comfort, my new DIY flagship is now based on them! (photos to come very soon)
Oh my, now I have to order one at least :D I wishlisted these H180 buds a couple of weeks ago, both are under 2usd, might order one tomorrow. :D
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32882471978.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32883981692.html

By the way, do you think these cheapo micropore tapes would be useful for fine tuning earbuds?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046349964.html

Ah and I forgot, any progress on the wooden shell build, or you're totally immersed in your H180 right now haha?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,197 of 4,707
By the way, do you think these cheapo micropore tapes would be useful for fine tuning earbuds?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046349964.html

Ah and I forgot, any progress on the wooden shell build, or you're totally immersed in your H180 right now haha?

I initially planned yesterday to make both the H180 mod and the wood with MX760 drivers at the same time but once I tried my first (the H180) mod, I was so impressed that I decided to stop here and have fun listening till I fall asleep :D
And since, I can't go back to any of my other earbuds for now, damn! :)
I will be you, I would avoid those chinese medical tapes sold in aliexpress, I prefer to buy directly at local pharmacy those kind of tapes, much safer.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #1,198 of 4,707
I initially planned yesterday to make both the H180 mod and the wood with MX760 drivers at the same time but once I tried my first (the H180) mod, I was so impressed that I decided to stop here and have fun listening till I fall asleep :D
And since, I can't go back to any of my other earbuds for now, damn! :)
I will be you, I would avoid those chinese medical tapes sold in aliexpress, I prefer to buy directly at local pharmacy those kind of tapes, much safer.
Ah I get it, looking forward to more info about your H180 project :)

Has anyone tried these drivers? They seem like one of the best low impedance drivers in aliexpress at the moment, thinking about trying one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041139370.html (32ohm titanium film)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #1,199 of 4,707
Oh, I forgot to tell but I also received yesterday my 500 ohm beryllium drivers.
While they shares almost same sound signature from the 130 ohm beryllium, they are definitely more warm (definitely way too warm for my taste). They have a little more bass, but the mids and highs are less detailed overall than the 130.
I did not spend enough time yet but they could be a nice start for DIY project thought. I truely think they don't requires any holes at all in the shells at all because of beeing too warm already.

HTB11bQnc8WD3KVjSZFsq6AqkpXaC.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back