1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DIY Earbuds

First

Back
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
83 84 85 86 87 88 89
Next

Last
  1. subwoof3r
    I tried on H180 shells (since its the same generic plastic covers from standard 15.4mm drivers) and it's not the best for comfort. The best plastic covers are the ones with metal covers, the best match (from my collection) for the H180 shells is the ones used in 130 ohm beryllium, they are even thinner than the ones in 32ohm PET drivers.
    This way you can almost achieve the magical fit of the H180 with their original plastic covers.

Currently experimenting some white extreme thin cotton tuning foams in the shells (instead of the standard/common grey shoe tuning foams) and it looks like it brings a bit more better soundstage and tame very slightly bass impact, which is perfect for the 32 ohm PET drivers (as they have a lot of bass already). Coupled with some high quality silver plated cable and extreme thin foams (like the ones in VEclan), I really believe it's one of the best earbuds I listened to date for now.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    golov17, caracal and HungryPanda like this.
  2. subwoof3r
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897525890.html

Looks interesting, I saw several mods from Earbuds Anonymous facebook group in those shells, I will probably buy one pair to see :)
    From the pictures, only the drivers affects the oval shape and not the shells directly, so this is nice.

3. HungryPanda
    I have recabled a lot of of those, Only changing drivers if I wrecked one.

subwoof3r likes this.
  4. robar
    Yep I think it's just the plastic of the front cover. They look like mini mx500 shells to me, this is why it picked my interest. :) I wonder what driver size they accept. Let's hope the aliexpress listing is not some low quality copy of the original shell

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    caracal and subwoof3r like this.
  5. robar
    I've received the 15.4mm wooden shells I ordered few weeks ago. This is the new type which is sold at several stores for about 3usd per pair. The finish itself is great, it looks nice and the build quality is good. However my pair is not compatible with 15.4mm covers at all, so the photos are very misleading. I'm not sure if mine is a bad copy or what, but it has a diameter which falls in between 14.8mm and 15.4mm covers, so it"s either too big or too small (large gap between shell and driver). The only cover I could fit on these shells were the B40 drivers. So far I haven't fiddled with the tuning much, generally lacks bass, the other frequencies are roughly similar to the original b40 shell though. Emx500 might work well on these, but the cover just wobbles around no friction at all. Even the steel mesh and the dp100/mx760 cover is way too large.

this is where I bought but several other stores sell this too. I will contact the seller and discuss if this is a lemon or the whole thing is miscommunicated
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000273773541.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    DBaldock9 likes this.
  6. subwoof3r
    I have the exact same shells but without the glossy finish around the external wood. I think the pure wood would sound not the same as adding a glossy coating arount the shell as it will more sound like a basic plastic shell overall I would say.
    Maybe the 15.4mm plastic covers don't like this glossy coating, meaning it does not fit well ?

7. robar
    Nope, the diameter is simply too small, the covers wobble sideways. About 0.5-1mm is missing from the diameter to be compatible. There is basically no contact between the edges. It would be perfect if the size is right.

8. subwoof3r
    Damn.. sad story then :frowning2:
    thanks for informing us to not order this shell then :D

9. robar
    weird because on the photos all the covers sit perfectly.. let's hope it's just sample variation, I'll update if I get answer from the seller. But yes based on this single unit I would not recommend it. I'll try to make the B40 drivers work with these because this is a more comfortable shell for me. But apart from that it goes to my "mysterious grey zone shell which doesn't fit anything" collection haha.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    subwoof3r and DBaldock9 like this.
  10. robar
    Anyone tried these drivers? This looks like low impedance diy flagship material for 14.8mm builds.. I have a collection of empty 14.8mm shells and I plan to build something nice with them next year. It would be nice to skip directly to the really good stuff, this is why I'm interested :)
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978993535.html

And I'm also curious about these
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000177042681.html

I ordered these 15.4mm 64ohm titanium membrane drivers by the way, will post impressions after I received them
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000220039317.html

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  11. subwoof3r
    I almost reached the buy button several weeks ago but the only thing that made me stop is the word "voice" coil :D I generally don't have much hope on drivers that have this word from sellers as they are good for voice only but not generally bassy, but who know! :)

The second link looks interesting, I will maybe give a try, but I had not very good experience with 64ohm drivers (the few I tried in 15.4mm was not very good at bass section while beeing average in the mids and highs, nothing extraordinary I would say).

12. robar
    Ah I see, fair point haha. The reviewer wrote that it sounds similar to PK1, EBX with the metal shells. So the fidelity must be pretty good, not sure about the sound sig, the listing says balanced/clear. The speaker from the mx760 kit is called vocal as well and it has ok bass I think even in the mx760 shell (not much but musical) In other shells its bass improves further, I'm experimenting with it atm.

What 64ohm speakers have you tried?

I'm hoping the best for the titanium membrane I ordered, the title contains the word "Super Bass" so it's promising haha. I really need something that is a bit harder to drive for my Qian69 build, because the 32ohms are really sensitive and gets loud insanely fast with that deep fit in my ears.

Has anyone tried these PK2 5pair bundles? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969609452.html

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  13. HungryPanda
    I have used those pk2 drivers, they sound pretty good. Use a tuning foam and bass is nice in a pk shell

subwoof3r and robar like this.
  14. robar
    That's great, thanks! I have an empty PK shell from my faulty SR2. (5 pairs of pk shells are often sold for 3-4usd so this set could also make nice gifts for cheap) Also I have some random 14.8mm shells to play with. I might try these in qian39 or faaeal z-sound as well in the future, if they are compatible (I haven't checked yet).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  15. HungryPanda
    I gifted a few of my workmates the PK2 earbuds and they are all happy with them

First

Back
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
83 84 85 86 87 88 89
Next

Last