DIY Earbuds
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #2,071 of 4,724
The 400,500, and 600 ohm are the best, 400 ohms are have the best mix of highs and sub bass after tuning, they are also the most responsive to tuning. The 500 have the best sub bass but are a bit harder to tune, the 600 have good sub bass but are slightly rolled of on the highs and are very difficult to tune, better if you leave the factory tuning on this one
Yup. I agree with you completely. Graphene (400ohm) has a nice balance of bass, mids and highs. All these drivers have a sensitivity (above 100db) and are not so hard to drive ie. you not need high output from Amp. These days many DAC/AMPs belove 100$ (even 50$) price range are OK choice for these DIY's.
Most of the high impedance headphones have a low sensitivity (belove100db) and theses require a better amplification to show their full potential.
Same case with earbuds and IEMs. I'm very interested in T-Music V5 (V5s is almost double the price because of the new cable but the same driver).This 400ohm driver with a sensitivity of 96db and F.R. 15-25000Hz really caught my attention :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #2,072 of 4,724
Yup. I agree with you completely. Graphene (400ohm) has a nice balance of bass, mids and highs. All these drivers have a sensitivity (above 100db) and are not so hard to drive ie. you not need high output from Amp. These days many DAC/AMPs belove 100$ (even 50$) price range are OK choice for these DIY's.
Most of the high impedance headphones have a low sensitivity (belove100db) and theses require a better amplification to show their full potential.
Same case with earbuds and IEMs. I'm very interested in T-Music V5 (V5s is almost double the price because of the new cable but the same driver).
This 400ohm driver with a sensitivity of 96db and F.R. 15-25000Hz really caught my attention :thinking:
I was checking them out last year, but skipped out waiting for more info.. Price isn't too bad, the whent on sale during 11.11

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #2,073 of 4,724
I was checking them out last year, but skipped out waiting for more info.. Price isn't too bad, the whent on sale during 11.11
Comments of previous versions are positive. Looks like V4 and V5 share the same cable. V5s have OCC cable but is too thin and probably rigid
They seem like a good candidate for a nice mod:wink: Balanced cable, silver cable, or MIX. Hmmm...this would make them shine. What do you think?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,074 of 4,724
Same case with earbuds and IEMs. I'm very interested in T-Music V5 (V5s is almost double the price because of the new cable but the same driver).This 400ohm driver with a sensitivity of 96db and F.R. 15-25000Hz really caught my attention :thinking:
I don't think sensitivity alone is enough to decide what can drive a certain speaker. Faaeal Rosemary is 150ohm with 106db sensitivity, and it sounds completely disgusting with any built-in sound output or even the SMSL X4. The volume is there but the sound is very dull, soft and dark. From my devices it only comes alive with my ES9018k2m. This is why there are so conflicting reviews about that earbud, many people just plug it in their weak dac and assume this is how it should sound. Same thing to a lesser degree with the 64ohm titanium and the Takstar Pro 80. Big improvement on good 3.5mm output, the whole sound opens up, bass becomes deeper and tighter, mids open up, treble becomes airy and crispy, music becomes exciting and alive. This is why I'm excited about the 2Vrms spec of the ES9023, it suggest a good output level as well.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,075 of 4,724
I don't think sensitivity alone is enough to decide what can drive a certain speaker. Faaeal Rosemary is 150ohm with 106db sensitivity, and it sounds completely disgusting with any built-in sound output or even the SMSL X4. The volume is there but the sound is very dull, soft and dark. From my devices it only comes alive with my ES9018k2m. This is why there are so conflicting reviews about that earbud, many people just plug it in their weak dac and assume this is how it should sound. Same thing to a lesser degree with the 64ohm titanium and the Takstar Pro 80. Big improvement on good 3.5mm output, the whole sound opens up, bass becomes deeper and tighter, mids open up, treble becomes airy and crispy, music becomes exciting and alive. This is why I'm excited about the 2Vrms spec of the ES9023, it suggest a good output level as well.
I mention only the output level at low-cost DAC/amp, and I thought only of the volume level ie. output power which can push these high resistance drivers but not SQ.
And of course, for SQ we need a better DAC chip but this is a different topic :wink:
New find https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001180479742.html
Is this the same shell from the NSC store? This is really cheap, even the version with the cable that looks good

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #2,076 of 4,724
The 400,500, and 600 ohm are the best, 400 ohms are have the best mix of highs and sub bass after tuning, they are also the most responsive to tuning. The 500 have the best sub bass but are a bit harder to tune, the 600 have good sub bass but are slightly rolled of on the highs and are very difficult to tune, better if you leave the factory tuning on this one

Which one is the 400ohm? Im having trouble finding it.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #2,077 of 4,724
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #2,078 of 4,724
I mention only the output level at low-cost DAC/amp, and I thought only of the volume level ie. output power which can push these high resistance drivers but not SQ.
And of course, for SQ we need a better DAC chip but this is a different topic :wink:
New find https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001180479742.html
Is this the same shell from the NSC store? This is really cheap, even the version with the cable that looks good
I've seen these Openheart earbuds a few days ago, they look very interesting. Very cheap for the raw parts they used in the build. Even the shell and cable alone would cost similar money from diy shops. I hope there'll be some reviews soon, I hope they didn't screw up the tuning. Not sure what "15.4mm graphene unit" means. Here's the another model with the more common bell-type shell.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001185272588.html
For 15usd this is nice deal even for just the parts, I would feel much better buying this than spending the same money just for empty shells in a diy store. Maybe I'll base my first mmcx project on something like this :D

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #2,079 of 4,724
I've seen these Openheart earbuds a few days ago, they look very interesting. Very cheap for the raw parts they used in the build. Even the shell and cable alone would cost similar money from diy shops. I hope there'll be some reviews soon, I hope they didn't screw up the tuning. Not sure what "15.4mm graphene unit" means. Here's the another model with the more common bell-type shell.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001185272588.html
For 15usd this is nice deal even for just the parts, I would feel much better buying this than spending the same money just for empty shells in a diy store. Maybe I'll base my first mmcx project on something like this :D
Openheart sales only cable for $14.87. I have some cable with similar plug and I love small form factor and look. Graphene unit mean graphene-coated but I only saw small graphene drivers (16-32ohm) not 15.4mm. Also is very strange that shell + driver + mmcx cost less then 10$

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,081 of 4,724
Openheart sales only cable for $14.87. I have some cable with similar plug and I love small form factor and look. Graphene unit mean graphene-coated but I only saw small graphene drivers (16-32ohm) not 15.4mm. Also is very strange that shell + driver + mmcx cost less then 10$
I'm not sure what do you mean, the 15usd option says "include cable" and the image shows the earbud PLUS the cable. So they charge about extra 5-6usd for that which is pretty nice.

(edit: in the meantime I saw that they do sell a similar cable individually for like 15usd, very interesting. I don't really see an exact improvement over the one they include)

I think these parts are way overpriced at diy shops, these manufacturers probably buy them for peanuts. There are a few other builders who sell earbuds with these shells for cheap like Fengru, Jietu etc. I don't know what kind of speaker could be in there, probably nothing special and also not well tuned. i hope it can be easily opened up without damaging the cables, so that putting in a nice speaker would be a piece of cake this is what I'm thinking about :) For me buying just mmcx shells would be quite expensive because stores only sell them in groups and for a lot of money, plus I should order cables etc as well, probably from other store, shippings costs add up etc. This is like 15 bucks minus coupons with free registered shipping for me, seems like a nice deal.

But first and foremost, I need glue :D I just started searching for local sources, maybe I can find a shop in my country which sell e8000.

I would also try these shells but the shipping is high. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001206473873.html
I'll probably just buy e8000 glue and maybe another N50 speaker or some other cheap part to activate the coupon.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #2,082 of 4,724
I'm not sure what do you mean, the 15usd option says "include cable" and the image shows the earbud PLUS the cable. So they charge about extra 5-6usd for that which is pretty nice.

(edit: in the meantime I saw that they do sell a similar cable individually for like 15usd, very interesting. I don't really see an exact improvement over the one they include)

I think these parts are way overpriced at diy shops, these manufacturers probably buy them for peanuts. There are a few other builders who sell earbuds with these shells for cheap like Fengru, Jietu etc. I don't know what kind of speaker could be in there, probably nothing special and also not well tuned. i hope it can be easily opened up without damaging the cables, so that putting in a nice speaker would be a piece of cake this is what I'm thinking about :) For me buying just mmcx shells would be quite expensive because stores only sell them in groups and for a lot of money, plus I should order cables etc as well, probably from other store, shippings costs add up etc. This is like 15 bucks minus coupons with free registered shipping for me, seems like a nice deal.

But first and foremost, I need glue :D I just started searching for local sources, maybe I can find a shop in my country which sell e8000.

I would also try these shells but the shipping is high. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001206473873.html
I'll probably just buy e8000 glue and maybe another N50 speaker or some other cheap part to activate the coupon.
Any mobile servis store use this glue.
I bought B-7000, which is similar, in a local store.

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #2,083 of 4,724
Well, didn't see this one coming but Smabat has listed their M2 housings for sale independently on AliExpress. They use 15.4mm drivers on the M2 Pro, maybe a new MMCX option to use with those 300, 400, 500 & 600 ohm drivers?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001270287626.html

-20433179991196724848.jpg

Also just noticed my 14.8mm 40Ω bass drivers are now in country. Hopefully I will have them in a couple days to a week.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #2,084 of 4,724
Well, didn't see this one coming but Smabat has listed their M2 housings for sale independently on AliExpress. They use 15.4mm drivers on the M2 Pro, maybe a new MMCX option to use with those 300, 400, 500 & 600 ohm drivers?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001270287626.html

-20433179991196724848.jpg

Also just noticed my 14.8mm 40Ω bass drivers are now in country. Hopefully I will have them in a couple days to a week.
Was watching the same listing, but it seems they use some kind of adapter/lip on the driver itself, so you would need to atleast buy a driver for the parts.

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #2,085 of 4,724
Was watching the same listing, but it seems they use some kind of adapter/lip on the driver itself, so you would need to atleast buy a driver for the parts.

Maybe, could be the adapter is for extra security but the lip may still hold. Depending on the cover.

Worst case 3-4 dots of e8000 glue would also do the job and still be easily removable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back