DIY Earbuds
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,891 of 4,720
Thankyouu..
Beauty
Thankyou..here is my newest work for mmcx wooden buds.
Congrats man. This is just so so beautiful organic form. I hope that ergonomics is also good. Is this wood? This is the nice example to see that theses 15.4 and 14.8mm drivers not need big inner cavity to sound good but in this case, to look good 😉. One question: you use 4 wires for each driver?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,892 of 4,720
Beauti

Congrats man. This is just so so beautiful organic form. I hope that ergonomics is also good. Is this wood? This is the nice example to see that theses 15.4 and 14.8mm drivers not need big inner cavity to sound good but in this case, to look good 😉. One question: you use 4 wires for each driver?
Indeed, it is more comfort than usual 15.4mm shell. Yes 4 wire each side to look good too..here is another art series..

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_212524-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200403_212524-01.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200403_212139-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200403_212139-01.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200403_212307-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200403_212307-01.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #1,893 of 4,720
Indeed, it is more comfort than usual 15.4mm shell. Yes 4 wire each side to look good too..here is another art series..
This is "sick" in a good way of course👍Jewelry earbuds. Is this polymer clay + uv rasin combo or something else. It reminds me a bit of the unusual design they have oBravo iems.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #1,896 of 4,720
How easy is it to separate the drivers from the plastic grilles? Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

driver.jpg
What I did was sort of dismantling the plastic grill safely and gently on the sides with my wire cutter, avoiding the coil. After dismantling some plastic of the edges, the driver just falls off.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,897 of 4,720
What I did was sort of dismantling the plastic grill safely and gently on the sides with my wire cutter, avoiding the coil. After dismantling some plastic of the edges, the driver just falls off.

Ok, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Just nibble away at the edges a little at a time with wire cutters, and the plastic grille would slowly pull apart.

Thanks for the advice!

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,898 of 4,720
Ok, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Just nibble away at the edges a little at a time with wire cutters, and the plastic grille would slowly pull apart.

Thanks for the advice!
It depends on the speaker, probably it works for the well designed DIY ones like on the picture (sometimes it's even mentioned in the listing, that you can simply pull it out), but for many cheap ones (especially salvaged speakers from budget earbuds like ry4s ue etc) it's a death sentence because the membrane sticks onto the plastic and it separates from the metal part, snapping the voice coil as soon as you begin to pull out the speaker from the cover. No matter how I tried, it failed even when I peeled off the edges of the cover super carefully

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,899 of 4,720
It depends on the speaker, probably it works for the well designed DIY ones like on the picture (sometimes it's even mentioned in the listing, that you can simply pull it out), but for many cheap ones (especially salvaged speakers from budget earbuds like ry4s ue etc) it's a death sentence because the membrane sticks onto the plastic and it separates from the metal part, snapping the voice coil as soon as you begin to pull out the speaker from the cover. No matter how I tried, it failed even when I peeled off the edges of the cover super carefully

I guess I’ll have to roll the dice and see. The driver I’ll be attempting is good quality (which I hope will increase my chance of success). But at the same time it is quite expensive, so destroying the driver would really ruin my day.

I hope it separates cleanly and does not self-destruct.

I don't want to use any acetone to loosen the glue, because one time in the past I believe acetone loosened the glue that also held on the membrane. So the driver came apart exactly in the manner you described.

That's why I’m hoping a mechanical means of extracting the driver (with wire nips etc) will yield success.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #1,900 of 4,720
Oh yeah, this is definitely true. DIY drivers usually isn't glued that much or can be detachable to its grill but those prebuilt ones can be tricky af (FAAEAL sloppily glues ALOT, compared to how VE treated its Monk Plus), but it works on Vido drivers.

Now that I mentioned Vidos, I'm in the process of making a custom 4-core 2-pin cable using my Vido spare cables and other metal component in other ones like the splitter, and it's my first time in my life making one so excuse the crappyness of the braids (literally just twisted it since my hands are still bad at braiding) 😆
Still WIP for now because I'm really broke at the moment, will definitely continue this project.
IMG_20200615_210151.jpg
IMG_20200615_212902.jpg

The split part is still short in this picture, I made some adjustments for it afterwards. Also made a chin cinch from a clothes button, I needed to increase the hole size so I hand drilled them using a drill bit for wood working. (posting a picture of it later)

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #1,901 of 4,720

Finally taking some time to listen to these after burn-in. A very similar sound signature to my legit O.G. yuin PK2 drivers, with more bass and sub-bass (both quantity and extension). So I'd call these a warm, non-fatiguing, almost smooth sound signature with no sibilance or harshness.

A quick listen to a frequency sweep (20hz up) and these do make sub-bass at 20hz but it is somewhat rolled off and starts in the mid 30hz range. At least it is there.

How easy is it to separate the drivers from the plastic grilles? Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

I guess I’ll have to roll the dice and see. The driver I’ll be attempting is good quality (which I hope will increase my chance of success). But at the same time it is quite expensive, so destroying the driver would really ruin my day.

I hope it separates cleanly and does not self-destruct.

I don't want to use any acetone to loosen the glue, because one time in the past I believe acetone loosened the glue that also held on the membrane. So the driver came apart exactly in the manner you described.

That's why I’m hoping a mechanical means of extracting the driver (with wire nips etc) will yield success.

I'd cut or crack the shell with small wire cutters on the opposite side of where the voice coil wires are. Then see if I could peel the shell back with some small pliers to 'release' the driver. IMO it is best to work away from the thin and delicate voice coil wires whenever possible.

Similar to how my diy 150Ω red film drivers cracked trying to fit them to a slightly too large shell. I peeled or bent the cover a bit and the driver fell out at this point.
IMG_20200329_191905.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,902 of 4,720
Finally taking some time to listen to these after burn-in. A very similar sound signature to my legit O.G. yuin PK2 drivers, with better bass and sub-bass (both quantity and extension). So I'd call these a warm, non-fatiguing, almost smooth sound signature with no sibilance or harshness.

A quick listen to a frequency sweep (20hz up) and these do make sub-bass at 20hz but it is somewhat rolled off and starts in the mid 30hz range. At least it is there.

I'd cut or crack the shell with small wire cutters on the opposite side of where the voice coil wires are. Then see if I could peel the shell back with some small pliers to 'release' the driver. IMO it is best to work away from the thin and delicate voice coil wires whenever possible.

Similar to how my diy 150Ω red film drivers cracked trying to fit them to a slightly too large shell. I peeled or bent the cover a bit and the driver fell out at this point.
IMG_20200329_191905.jpg

Appreciate the tips :)

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #1,903 of 4,720
I do that as well. I always made sure I have spare covers, as the donor covers would be sacrificed in removing the drivers.
Can't wait to see your earbuds; having seen the things you did with IEMs.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,905 of 4,720
Took my extra pair of 32Ω bass drivers and added some tuning foam to them. This style foam doesn't cover all the holes, so I used some small pieces cut off an another to do so.

It makes the covers want to pop off too easily on one of the two shells. I ended up adding 2 dots of e8000 glue on one side where it wanted to slip off.

IMG_20200618_185426.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a second set of shells right now, so I can't A/B against the unmodified ones. Gonna give them some burn-in and see how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back