DIY Custom IEMs : Part 2
Sep 1, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #76 of 126
"Mad scientist audio" was suggested but that's too direct I think. How about the first name of someone people know or think of as a mad scientist? Like Szalinski or Tesla. Or just Boris :D

Heh, that's a really good idea.
Name your stuff after mad scientists.

I think the name 'Tesla' and all it's epicness goes to Corona-fi though.
DIY CIEM's is more Thomas Edison material. Tesla's rival in the current war.

There was one occasion where Edison tried to show that Tesla's AC was dangerous by publicly killing an elephant with it. :evil:

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #77 of 126
Quote:
Heh, that's a really good idea.

Name your stuff after mad scientists.

I think the name 'Tesla' and all it's epicness goes to Corona-fi though.
DIY CIEM's is more Thomas Edison material. Tesla's rival in the current war.

There was one occasion where Edison tried to show that Tesla's AC was dangerous by publicly killing an elephant with it.
evil_smiley.gif

Haha it does!

but beyer already got tesla.... (for their multi-tesla B-field)

OMG HE DID???
And somehow Edison's DC is not dangerous? LOL

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #78 of 126
Haha it does!

but beyer already got tesla.... (for their multi-tesla B-field)

OMG HE DID???

And somehow Edison's DC is not dangerous? LOL

Yeah, but DC is you know...
Well, in any case AC is dangerous! Don't put two wires of live mains across your heart! You'll die!

There's even a video of it:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBU3aYsf0Q[/VIDEO]

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #79 of 126
Yeah, but DC is you know...
Well, in any case AC is dangerous! Don't put two wires of live mains across your heart! You'll die!

I don't ........ know =.=
With enough current, you'd die regardless....
As for as I know, the only difference is that AC will make your muscles contract and relax rapidly depending on the frequency....  

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #80 of 126
I don't ........ know =.=
With enough current, you'd die regardless....

As for as I know, the only difference is that AC will make your muscles contract and relax rapidly depending on the frequency....  

Of course both are pretty much equally deadly.

That's what makes Edison so ridiculous.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #81 of 126
Of course both are pretty much equally deadly.
That's what makes Edison so ridiculous.

Which was Edison's point in the first place. AC was being advertised as "safe" electricity with DC being the "deadly" version. His goal was to dismiss that misinformation in a rather dramatic fashion.

Edison was a lot of things, but ridiculous is not a word I would normally associate with him. :wink:

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #84 of 126
Doesn't AC kill with lower voltage because it causes the heart to fibrillate?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 2, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #86 of 126
Quote:
Why not read the Wikipedia article which, to the best of my knowledge, presents the issue fairly:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents

w

Edison's publicity campaign

Edison carried out a campaign to discourage the use[25] of alternating current, including spreading disinformation on fatal AC accidents, publicly killing animals, and lobbying against the use of AC in state legislatures. Edison directed his technicians, primarily Arthur Kennelly and Harold P. Brown,[26] to preside over several AC-driven killings of animals, primarily stray cats and dogs but also unwanted cattle and horses. [27] Acting on these directives, they were to demonstrate to the press that alternating current was more dangerous than Edison's system of direct current.[28] He also tried to popularize the term for being electrocuted as being "Westinghoused". Years after DC had lost the "war of the currents," in 1903, his film crew made a movie of the electrocution with high voltage AC, supervised by Edison employees, of Topsy, a Coney Island circus elephant which had recently killed three men.[29]

Edison opposed capital punishment, but his desire to disparage the system of alternating current led to the invention of the electric chairHarold P. Brown, who was being secretly paid by Edison, built the first electric chair for the state of New York to promote the idea that alternating current was deadlier than DC.[30]

When the chair was first used, on August 6, 1890, the technicians on hand misjudged the voltage needed to kill the condemned prisoner, William Kemmler. The first jolt of electricity was not enough to kill Kemmler, and only left him badly injured. The procedure had to be repeated and a reporter on hand described it as "an awful spectacle, far worse than hanging." George Westinghouse commented: "They would have done better using an axe."[31]

Wow... so it was actually Edison who was spreading disinformation.....

what a duche bag.....

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #87 of 126
UPDATE 6/9/2012:

It's been a while since I posted here... 
My last attempt at making the Faceplate was a failure, the resin didn't cure properly, 
I suspect the hardener may have reacted with the toner.

After that I tried a few methods of stopping this, including putting clear tape and plastic foil in between.
but both of those methods failed as well, there was a reaction with the clear tape and I couldn't get a flat surface with plastic foil.

So this time I decided to wax the surface of my paper faceplate.
Results are not in yet, but I have confidence in this one.
(because the paper cups I used to mix the resin is wax coated and the resin DID cure properly in those.) 

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #90 of 126
Quote:
How is it going with the project?
On hold because of school work, or something?

Yeah... I really want to finish it up but....
IA and EE deadlines coming up along with all the assessments.
(predicted grades will be given soon, I'll probably get something like 30.... Sigh~)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back