DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #841 of 10,535
Thanks for the ideas guys. I decided to try using a piece of pretty usb cable I liberated from an old game controller to make the cable I was asking about, it didn't end well(for the third time). So I give up, I'll buy a right angle micro cable and an otg adapter and join the wires at the phone end. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #842 of 10,535

Just a little humor with another member in this thread, when solder vs crimp was mentioned before...
biggrin.gif

All is good!
beerchug.gif

tongue.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #843 of 10,535
  After about an hour of searching for mini xlr connectors with gold pins, I came across these.

http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/neutrik-rt3fc-b/36518/
and these
http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/neutrik-rt3mc-b/36519/

They're the cheapest I could find. They bend you over on shipping though.

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/REAN-a-Brand-of-Neutrik-AG/RT3FC-B.xhtml

Cheaper by a few cents.  Not sure on shipping, though.

Don't see a 3 pole male that isn't panel mount, though.

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #844 of 10,535
If you go with 4pin min XLRs anything you make will be compatible with Audeze headphones, making them a little easier to sell if you get bored of them.  

Redco has some that are Switchcraft style in black, with reasonable shipping.  Another option is Partsexpress which carries some Amphenol clones of Switchcraft.  Look like better quality than ebay ones that I have used in the past.  I don't like the Neutrik strain relief as much as the Switchcraft as it limits cable size more.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #845 of 10,535
  If you go with 4pin min XLRs anything you make will be compatible with Audeze headphones, making them a little easier to sell if you get bored of them.  

Redco has some that are Switchcraft style in black, with reasonable shipping.  Another option is Partsexpress which carries some Amphenol clones of Switchcraft.  Look like better quality than ebay ones that I have used in the past.  I don't like the Neutrik strain relief as much as the Switchcraft as it limits cable size more.

Peter at DHC recommends the Amphenol, but Parts-Express is out until December 14, he says excellent quality....who's to argue with the man.  I am in the process of converting all of my headphones and cables to mini xlr modular, via these connectors.  This is the way to go for compatibility, I tried a couple of the female Sennheiser connectors from Frank at Toxic Cables, they work well, but they come loose too easily, plus they are way more expensive.  I have pile of at least ten different cables, most of what DHC offers, and it is nice to swap and compare between headphones.....most of which now are 8 wire, no regrets on that!

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #847 of 10,535
It would be great if manufacturers standardized something for detachables so we don't have to!

I guess the only problem I have with mini xlrs is their size (yeah, I know...). They were too large for my liking. I went through like 12 different connectors before I found one that was just right for my detach mod. Although they are great for light cables. My iems are all terminated to rean 4-pin mini-xlrs

I get my rean connectors from onlinecomponents.com

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #848 of 10,535

Man I wish I would have though about that before I ordered my 3 pin minis. I guess if I want to sell them later, I could swap them out to sell. 
Thanks for the suggestion.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #850 of 10,535
Doesn't seem like it. Too bad. He did great work for a reasonable price. You could see if Martin at Martin Custom Audio can help you out. He is a real artist, though he is in high demand.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #852 of 10,535
  Is Yew Audio still around?
I went to their webpage and it said no more headphone repairs. =(
I am in dire need of some boo-tiful y-splits!

Email him.

I emailed him and he's still around, but he stopped doing headphone repair.  According to the message I got back, he got tired of people asking him to repair Beats headphones.

Also, check eBay.  He may still be selling there.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #853 of 10,535

According to the message I got back, he got tired of people asking him to repair Beats headphones.

Heh, that's hilarious.  I guess they'd be a pretty good market though - I can't imagine too many Beats owners repairing / modding / cabling their own headphones.  Somebody here should help those poor folks out...and make piles of money rain from the sky!

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #854 of 10,535
From his email (and I hope he's ok with this, because I find it funny):

Most everyone has some sort of Monster product that needs fixing, and frankly I don't want to do it anymore.  Its not really worth the time and energy to find parts and fix these pieces of garbage.   Its to bad everyone wastes their money on these things.

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #855 of 10,535
  From his email (and I hope he's ok with this, because I find it funny):

Well that's understandable; I really doubt I could tolerate it for very long either, and he seems like a very patient fellow.

Maybe he should just post a disclaimer: 'Your headphones must be worth my time...please, please do not send me your garbage cans, I cannot turn horsesh*t into gold.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back