DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #826 of 10,535
So, I'm finally going to do a dual entry mod on my T50RP's.  Figured I might as well get into making my own cables while I'm at it.  Gonna use Mogami W2893 and an Amphenol 1/8" Plug.  Would have preferred to use some kind of jack and plug to make the cable replaceable at the headphone end, but I don't really know which connector to use, or if it's even worth using a connector.  I figure reducing the # of joints in the line and having the wire take up the least amount of space inside the cups possible will provide the best sound anyway, so whatever.  I'm also going to make a 1/8" interconnect from my DAC to the amp.  Thanks for the info in here, everyone.  I'll post pics when I'm done

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #827 of 10,535
  So, I'm finally going to do a dual entry mod on my T50RP's.  Figured I might as well get into making my own cables while I'm at it.  Gonna use Mogami W2893 and an Amphenol 1/8" Plug.  Would have preferred to use some kind of jack and plug to make the cable replaceable at the headphone end, but I don't really know which connector to use, or if it's even worth using a connector.  I figure reducing the # of joints in the line and having the wire take up the least amount of space inside the cups possible will provide the best sound anyway, so whatever.  I'm also going to make a 1/8" interconnect from my DAC to the amp.  Thanks for the info in here, everyone.  I'll post pics when I'm done

Sounds like a good project! 

Looking at some photos of the inside of the cups it looks like you would probably have enough space to place some jacks in there if you wanted another challenge later.  Not having owned (let alone modded) these headphones before though I couldn't make any specific recommendations.  Good luck with it!

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #828 of 10,535

Sounds like a good project! 

Looking at some photos of the inside of the cups it looks like you would probably have enough space to place some jacks in there if you wanted another challenge later.  Not having owned (let alone modded) these headphones before though I couldn't make any specific recommendations.  Good luck with it!

Mini XLRs fit quite nicely.  I added them to my own pair.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #830 of 10,535

Wow, really nice job on those!  Good clean join on the mini xlr jacks!  How are those secured internally, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, though they aren't perfectly flush on one edge since I wanted them angled.  They are an intentionally tight fit into the housing and then secured with hot glue.  Somewhere in my profile I have a gallery of the process (including a mistake I made :))

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #831 of 10,535
Does anyone know where I can buy a decent 3.5mm jack that is a bit narrower(maybe 2mm diameter less) than a rean/neutrik 231, I'm trying to fit a phone case.

I also need cable to re-make a usb interconnect, I feel like mogami 2893 might work but i'm concerned about the bend I need. Pic of existing cable where it needs to go:

I guess if I'm soldering my own micro usb jack I can mold a right angle onto it which would make it easier on the wire.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #832 of 10,535
Quote:
  Does anyone know where I can buy a decent 3.5mm jack that is a bit narrower(maybe 2mm diameter less) than a rean/neutrik 231, I'm trying to fit a phone case.

I also need cable to re-make a usb interconnect, I feel like mogami 2893 might work but i'm concerned about the bend I need. Pic of existing cable where it needs to go:

I guess if I'm soldering my own micro usb jack I can mold a right angle onto it which would make it easier on the wire.

Here's a pic of an interconnect I made using Mogami 2893. If you make the interconnect, apply heat to where you would be bending it until it's easy to manipulate, and then take it away from the heat and hold it in the position you will need it to be in. 

No pressure on the cable..

This is what I used to make a cable for my girlfriends AUX input in her car. She needed a connector that would fit through her iPhone case, and this worked great. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-3-5mm-3-Pole-Male-Repair-Earphones-Jack-Plug-Connector-Audio-Soldering-/291015335397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c1dd9de5

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #833 of 10,535
What if any disadvantages/advantages are there to using solderless RCA connectors?

I know the primary advantage is not having to get out the soldering iron.  I have one but I am definitely not an expert with it.  

I was looking at some nakamichi connectors for a cable and wanted to ask some experts.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #835 of 10,535
I think you can definitely make it work, I just think soldering makes a MUCH more reliable connection. 
I said that once as well...
Annnd in 1 2 3... :popcorn:

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #837 of 10,535
I can solder, not particularly prettily when it comes to circuit boards, but serviceable. I had to repair the solder joints in my dash so I know the pointy end goes into the other man. :D

I had originally thought that the connectors I had seen required soldering and when I saw the term non solder my curiosity was struck.  I am just lazy enough not to want to go digging through the garage to find my soldering iron and the price was close for the locking RCA plug.

You are basically all saying that a soldered connection is much more durable with a better connection than a crimped or clamped connection?

TrollDragon, I don't know what your comment means exactly.   
confused.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #838 of 10,535
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #839 of 10,535

I also need cable to re-make a usb interconnect, I feel like mogami 2893 might work but i'm concerned about the bend I need.

Take the Mogami, strip off the black PVC insulation as well as the copper shielding and sleeve the remaining bundled wires in Paracord. It will be more than flexible enough to make that turn.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #840 of 10,535
TrollDragon, I don't know what your comment means exactly.   
confused.gif

Just a little humor with another member in this thread, when solder vs crimp was mentioned before...
biggrin.gif

All is good!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back