DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #796 of 10,535
I was planning to sheath the W2893 in paracord up until the y-split, then strip the insulation and twist the 4 conductors into two pairs and sheath each of them in paracord. I was wondering if 550 paracord would be suitable up until the y-split and then use micro paracord for the L & R channels.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #798 of 10,535
Does anyone know where I can find the Male connector for Hifiman headphones? I want to use them to recable my Denon D2000 shortly after it arrives (yeah I haven't received it yet, and am already planning this). I've always liked the way they look, and having a locking connectors sounds nice. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #799 of 10,535
  Does anyone know where I can find the Male connector for Hifiman headphones? I want to use them to recable my Denon D2000 shortly after it arrives (yeah I haven't received it yet, and am already planning this). I've always liked the way they look, and having a locking connectors sounds nice. 

The connectors will not fit the D2000, you would have to drill out the 8mm hole on the bottom and probably shave off a plastic ledge on the driver that would otherwise not allow it to sit properly inside the housing.

Been there, done that.

-----
Here's what Martin from Martin Custom Audio said when I contacted him about the idea, a couple of years back.
It requires removing some of the plastic baffle that the drivers are mounted in.  If, you've ever opened a set of Denon's, you'd see what I mean.  Doesn't really have a noticeable affect on sound quality as far as I could tell.  

-----
900x900px-LL-575e203a_DSC02255.jpeg

an image I found of some stock D2000, The edge of the plastic mount lies right in line with the cable entry hole which leaves you with very little workable space. Martin and others trim it whenever they do a detachable mod. I chose to go with a tiny lemo connector which did not require trimming of the plastic. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #800 of 10,535
Man that really sucks. Yeah I can see that there really isnt any room. I might just cut the baffle a little bit to fit it in. Thanks for the response.
So, I still need those Hifiman male connectors. Haha

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #801 of 10,535
Are not the HiFiMan connectors just reverse SMC RF jack's? ie Router antenna connectors.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #805 of 10,535
Thanks to both of you! I'll use that eBay link if I can find the same thing here in the US. I'm pretty anxious to get started on that mod. I have a silver plated copper cable already braided and terminated with a 3.5 Acrolink connector just waiting for a purpose. Haha

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #807 of 10,535
  Does anyone know if there are any guides to replacing ciem connector pins on a ciem cable ?

Note which wire goes to the big pin (ground) on the connector and which goes to the smaller one (signal), cut the wires, splice the insulation, tin the wires with solder, and then solder each wire onto the correct pins on the new connectors. If you can't tell which wire is which after cutting, use a multimeter to test the signals and ground.

This will be useful when testing each wire for continuity.

This is all dependent on knowing how to solder. If you don't know how to do that, there are instructional videos you can watch on YouTube. Take that information and apply it to what I have written out above. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #810 of 10,535
I know most of the people in this thread are probably subscribed to the DIY Cable Gallery, where I have already posted pics of this cable, but I'm going to post them here anyway. I finally used some of the 12"x12" 3M carbon Fiber Vinyl on some connectors and wanted to show off how it turned out. This was a budget job just to throw up in the FS forums for someone that might need something like this. I don't. 

I used some of the wrap to style and protect the top of my Fiio E12 too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back