DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #707 of 10,535
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #709 of 10,535
  Standard (based on my own searching I did at the time) would be:

Pin 3 - Right
Pin 2 - Left
Pin 1 - Ground

For AKG headphones (and seemingly for my own DT770s, and for the web search I just did...) pins 3 and 2 are reversed.

Don't know if this is standard or not, but it lists both methods.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/wiring-xlr-trs-connectors-reversing-polarity-for-pin-3/

for MOGAMI 2893 it have 2 pairs + shield.so can i do it like pin 3 right 1st pair, pin 2 left 2nd pair and shield is for pin 1 ground or 1st pair pin 1 ground ,2nd pair one is for pin 2 left and one is for pin 3 right and shield not connected or shield and pair1 is for pin 1 ground and pair 2 one is for pin 2 left and one is for pin 3 right i will be using this for DT770/DT880. sorry for the newbie questions.thanks

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #710 of 10,535
I strip off the rubberized outer coating and copper wire shielding on the Mogami that I work with, so I put 2 wires to Ground and 1 each to the L/R signal.  Your way would work, but it's much easier to sleeve and to fit into the connector housings if you strip off the shielding.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #712 of 10,535
Why are you guys doing unbalanced xlr cables? If you're planning on doing a detachable mod, why don't you use a 4 pin xlr in case you ever decide to go balanced.
Now, if you're building a cable for an akg heaphone (they are the only ones that come to mind when thinking about unbalanced xlr connections) just follow whatever standard they have.

In any case, remember that your shield should only connect at the source end of your cable, whether that is the 3-pin xlr or TRS plug.

What I would do for either case is:
1 wire to right side.
1 wire to left side.
2 wires to ground.
Shield to ground on source side.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #713 of 10,535
My DT880 is wired the same as the LCD's cable and terminates to TRS as I don't have a balanced amp right now. If I ever do get an amp its just a matter of unsoldering the TRS and connecting a 4 pin XLR.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #714 of 10,535
My DT880 is wired the same as the LCD's cable and terminates to TRS as I don't have a balanced amp right now. If I ever do get an amp its just a matter of unsoldering the TRS and connecting a 4 pin XLR.

Yeah, that's the same way I would do it if I were to do a detachable mod with mini XLRs. I think liquidzoo and i luvmusic 2 were talking about a TRS to 3 pin XLR cable which only makes sense for AKG headphones.

I do all my personal detachable mods with Lemo plugs because of the extremely small profile (I would never even think about drilling my headphones) and I can use the same cable on all of my headphones (D2000, DT770 and HE-400)
  im having a hard time finding the connectors that shure uses. for their SE215 anyone can help? I need good quality ones that are durable and are affordable. No need for gold plated mumbo jumbo.

MMCX connectors, you can get them cheap on ebay and other online retailers.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #715 of 10,535
  Yeah, that's the same way I would do it if I were to do a detachable mod with mini XLRs. I think liquidzoo and i luvmusic 2 were talking about a TRS to 3 pin XLR cable which only makes sense for AKG headphones.

I do all my personal detachable mods with Lemo plugs because of the extremely small profile (I would never even think about drilling my headphones) and I can use the same cable on all of my headphones (D2000, DT770 and HE-400)

hi you said you used  detachable mods with Lemo plugs could you please tell me what are the model number for both plug and socket and if you can upload the picture of your moded headphone so i can have an idea what they look like when installed.thank you.
one more thing the mini xlr mod that i did with DT770 it's not that easy to do there is few things you need to watchout for. size of hole for the xlr socket,how much space you have inside the cup for height and lenght of the socket you can't pass the height of that existing hole on the cup if you pass that the driver will not seat properly and the lenght of the socket it will hit the side of the driver.i still have the DT880 that i would like to mod so please if you can provide me with more info regarding headphone mod please do so again thank you.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #716 of 10,535

hi you said you used  detachable mods with Lemo plugs could you please tell me what are the model number for both plug and socket and if you can upload the picture of your moded headphone so i can have an idea what they look like when installed.thank you.
one more thing the mini xlr mod that i did with DT770 it's not that easy to do there is few things you need to watchout for. size of hole for the xlr socket,how much space you have inside the cup for height and lenght of the socket you can't pass the height of that existing hole on the cup if you pass that the driver will not seat properly and the lenght of the socket it will hit the side of the driver.i still have the DT880 that i would like to mod so please if you can provide me with more info regarding headphone mod please do so again thank you.

I PM'd you with the info.

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #719 of 10,535
  For now i am done soldering on DT drivers i just screwup mine.

Sorry to hear that... 
frown.gif
 It's always wisest to start your modding journey on a pair (or two, or three) of inexpensive headphones, so you get your skills honed up to the task. Replacement drivers are usually available but you'll have to decide if it's worth purchasing them and doing any further mods yourself, or perhaps hiring out a local electronics tech to assist you with the task.

If you do seek the assistance of another hobbyist or electronics tech, I highly recommend looking for someone local and trying to get references before you deal with them. I'm lucky enough to have been working in the electronics industry for over 30 years, so I've never needed help for my personal stuff. I totally sympathize with you and others who have a mod go bad, but it's even worse if you then turn to others for help and they turn out to be just as bad. Thankfully those 'horror stories' are few and far between.

Good luck whichever way you go...

Dale

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #720 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back