DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 10,535
Quote:

Regarding the Sennheiser plugs, very good!  Also, when I usually build such a cable with those connectors, I use a small toothpick and apply a small drop of paint on the shrinkwrap on the "inside" side.  This allows for one to easily determine which direction the plugs should be inserted for the L and the R.

Dont they only go in one way? Isnt that why one pin in each is larger than the other?

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #17 of 10,535
Quote:
I recall this amp from a few years ago - it used dual 1/4" plugs for the balanced output. 

each TRS would represent one channel 

tip - + signal 
ring - -ve signal
sleeve - ground connection. 
( as noted above by WJE )

Amp was based on dual TPA6120 (??) chips , one per channel providing balanced operation in a fairly small form factor. 

..dB

Was it doobooloo's amp?

edit: quick google search...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/183584/doobooloos-tpa6120-based-balanced-headphone-amp
http://www.headfonia.com/doobooloos-portable-balanced-amp/

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 10,535
Well I think I will help some people out as well.  If you are making Audeze cables here is a diagram of everything that you need to know.  

And short the mini xlr's as so:

To connect to a 1/4" or 3.5mm or 2, 3pin xlr's refer to the first diagram. 

To connect to a 4 pin xlr assume:
Left ground as L-
Left signal as L+
Right ground as R-
Right signal as R+

and connect to this diagram

Pin 1: L+ 
Pin 2: L-
Pin 3: R+
Pin 4: R-

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 10,535
Here is some more help if you want to make an RCA to RCA or RCA to 1/4" or 3.5mm. 

here is a diagram of an RCA to 3.5mm or 1/4" jack: 

So for RCA to RCA, ring is signal so either left or right and the sleeve will always be ground.  

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #20 of 10,535
Quote:
Dont they only go in one way? Isnt that why one pin in each is larger than the other?

Yes.  They only go in one way.  However, with a small dot of paint, the person installing the cable ends will quickly be able to determine which side of the cable goes towards the inside as opposed to trying to plug it in one way, then having to flip it so the pins properly line up.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #21 of 10,535
Quote:
and connect to this diagram

Pin 1: R+ 
Pin 2: R-
Pin 3: L-
Pin 4: L+

You have this wrong 

1 - L+
2 - L-
3 - R+
4 - R-

your way will be out of phase and the opposite stereo image ( but no stereo image because not in phase ) 
EDIT - unless you wired your own amp to match :wink:  - but this is not industry standard

..dB

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #22 of 10,535
Aug 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #23 of 10,535
Sorry sorry ya you guys are right it has been corrected 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 10,535
Quote:
now, in topic correct :)

The Canare L-4E5AT is a good cable? I will make an RCA> 3.5mm

foet you can take pictures inside the plug? to have a vision as you do.

I'll have to check which Canare cable I have an am currently using.  I just put my camera away for the evening.  I'll see if I can get some shots posted tomorrow evening for you if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #29 of 10,535
So no ideas for flexibility clear tubing that could be used around braided cable for an interconnect?

Guess it's time to experiment myself

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 10,535
You might find some clear tubing at an auto parts store.  They should have some various diameters of tubing that is clear.  Some of the tubing might be a bit thick but you'll have to see what is available at the store.  Also, consider how you'll transition from the tubing to the connectors - shrink tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back