DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 23, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #10,291 of 10,535
Hey DIT people, I have been asked to make a cable for Pioneer SE-Master 1, a pair of cans I'm not very familiar with... How are they terminated? From this picture it seems like they use mmcx connections...
se-master1_04.jpeg

May 23, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #10,292 of 10,535
They will be ok, but you can do much cheaper via aliexpress with the same quality :wink:
Consider a braided 4/8 core UPOCC cable to be a true balanced 4-pin XLR to 4-pole miniXLR cable.
That is true, but Aliexpress takes a lot of experimentation to find the right type of wire and connectors. There's a lot of good stuff there, but also a lot of rubbish and it's hard to evaluate before trying them.

May 23, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #10,293 of 10,535
Hey DIT people, I have been asked to make a cable for Pioneer SE-Master 1, a pair of cans I'm not very familiar with... How are they terminated? From this picture it seems like they use mmcx connections...
se-master1_04.jpeg
yes they use mmcx connectors.

May 23, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #10,294 of 10,535
May 24, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #10,295 of 10,535
That is true, but Aliexpress takes a lot of experimentation to find the right type of wire and connectors. There's a lot of good stuff there, but also a lot of rubbish and it's hard to evaluate before trying them.
Not in my experience. Everything I have purchased from aliexpress has been conformant to the description given by the seller and of good quality. I source all of my headphone wire and RCA and headphone connectors there and use 7 different stores regularly. Never had a problem with quality. The only caveat is the time it takes for shipping, which can sometimes take months and that can become an issue when aliexpress decides to consolidate multiple orders from different stores into a single shipping package, which has a net result of compromising my supply continuity.
I now have to buy components in bulk from regular suppliers to cover all the options for the 3 headphone cable models I supply. No biggy.

May 24, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #10,296 of 10,535
Not in my experience. Everything I have purchased from aliexpress has been conformant to the description given by the seller and of good quality. I source all of my headphone wire and RCA and headphone connectors there and use 7 different stores regularly. Never had a problem with quality. The only caveat is the time it takes for shipping, which can sometimes take months and that can become an issue when aliexpress decides to consolidate multiple orders from different stores into a single shipping package, which has a net result of compromising my supply continuity.
I now have to buy components in bulk from regular suppliers to cover all the options for the 3 headphone cable models I supply. No biggy.
Would you give us a list of your favourite stores for supplies there, mate? Cheers!

May 24, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #10,299 of 10,535
Aren’t they twist and lock? Any mmcx connector would work with them?
All the replacement cables I see available for the Pinoeer use regular mmcx, I don't have any personal experience with that headphone.

May 26, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #10,300 of 10,535
Hey guys, I am building XLR cables for myself atm.

Expensive build, using Neotech connectors and Furutech cable (won't go into too much detail :D)

The hole in the connector is big enough for the 11mm diameter of the cable, but the 3 bores inside are very tinly: even twisting the two conductor wires very tight, they can't fit in the little bores (+, -, ground).

What should i do? Solder just the tip of the wire without inserting it, or solder to the side of the tube bore?

Thanks for the help!

May 26, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #10,302 of 10,535
Hey guys, I am building XLR cables for myself atm.

Expensive build, using Neotech connectors and Furutech cable (won't go into too much detail :D)

The hole in the connector is big enough for the 11mm diameter of the cable, but the 3 bores inside are very tinly: even twisting the two conductor wires very tight, they can't fit in the little bores (+, -, ground).

What should i do? Solder just the tip of the wire without inserting it, or solder to the side of the tube bore?

Thanks for the help!
I assume these are the connectors.
Neotech.jpg

I take it that the Furutech cable is stranded, what I would do is clip off a strand at a time until the wire fits in the hole.
I never use $400 XLR connectors so I don't have that problem. :wink:

May 27, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #10,303 of 10,535
Hey does anyone have a pin out for mmcx connectors (for iems?) what’s + and - (or ground for unbalanced connection)?

Can’t seem to find much online.

May 27, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #10,304 of 10,535
Hey does anyone have a pin out for mmcx connectors (for iems?) what’s + and - (or ground for unbalanced connection)?

Can’t seem to find much online.
These are designed as RF connectors so the center post is the signal and the shell is the ground. For audio, the general rule of thumb is center + shell -.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #10,305 of 10,535
Made another new cable with new tools, the Cardas solder is great! And using paracord made the cable look so much better.

IMG_4008.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back