DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #10,156 of 10,535
Are there any videos showing how connectors are soldered to the cables, and wiring diagrams?

I suspect that soldering cables to MMCX, 0.78mm and all the other connector types is a quite fiddly process, delicate error prone process.
for wiring simply google your desired connection plus pinout and the same for the plug

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #10,157 of 10,535
PXL_20210718_145301094.jpg

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #10,158 of 10,535
I am relatively new to headphones. I have one pair which are the Focal Clear.
I have two questions, please:
1. I am about to get a Holo Serene preamp, which uses the two XLR-3 outputs for the headphones. I am having an adapter made for me and want to make sure I do it correctly. The two XLR-3 are combined into one XLR-4. With the XLR-3, The 1 pin is groundand the 2 pin is hot/+, the 3 pin is cold/- . When these are used only the 1 pin and the 2 pin are used, and the 3 pin is not, correct? What seems odd is that the ground is common for both 1 pins, is that correct.
2. Is Mogami 2549 good for this cable? From the XLR-4 to the 3.5mm at the ear of the Focal Clear is 10’.
thank you

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #10,159 of 10,535
I'm interested in making my own short RCA cables for between my DAC/amp stack. It looks like all of the commercially available options are either VERY expensive for just six inches of cable, or they're incredibly stiff and put a lot of strain on the inputs, or are much longer than necessary with a lot of coiled up excess behind the stack. Or in a lot of cases, all of these are true, and a DIY solution with none of these problems becomes very tempting.

I have some 16-gauge pure copper speaker wire. Considering the length will be 4 to 6 inches tops, would I be able to use speaker wire between RCA connectors?

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #10,160 of 10,535
Hi guys, ordered some 2 pin connectors from plussound and have no idea idea which side is positive or negative. I’ve only wired full sized headphones up until now, and this has me a bit confused. A little assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #10,162 of 10,535
Has anyone done the shaped heatshrink for the earhook on IEM cables before?

Do you just heatshrink it and then bend it around a shaped block and let it cool down? I'll do some testing, but keen to have any tips if someone has already done the painful testing part.
I recently did this .. was trying to figure out how to actually do it but wasn't able to find anything proper .. just read some used a small flexible wire as a guide but I just heated the heat shrink while holding it in shape..
I use the middle part of toilet paper cut a slice and put the pins in between, wrap the wire on the outside and heat it using a heat gun..
earhook.jpg

here's the outcome .. there some slight wrinkle at the edge near the pins case. It's because I was trying to force fit the 2 pins case and sliding it on top of the heat shrink .. could have been better if I used a smaller sized heat shrink .. but I could fix those later once I get a proper sized heat shrink.

Cable 2.jpg

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #10,163 of 10,535
Hi guys, ordered some 2 pin connectors from plussound and have no idea idea which side is positive or negative. I’ve only wired full sized headphones up until now, and this has me a bit confused. A little assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: On top of response by @imas69 above which is correct. Check out this video link below on youtube could also give a better view.

It helped me while I was figuring out mine.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #10,164 of 10,535
Hi folks.

Im trying to build a cable for my audioquest nighhawk.
I want a 4.4 connector to the dac, which ends on 2.5 mono connectors to the headphone.
But Im a little bit confused about wiring, trying to find a guide to get some info, but no luck. Need to figure out how to pinout.

Anyone can help me with that?
And if a want to make a cable for hifiman he4xx 3.5 is the same wiring scheme?

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #10,166 of 10,535
4.4mm pinout

L+, L-, R+, R-, G (tip, ring, ring ring, sleeve)

Tip of the 2.5mm is +. Sleeve is -. Ground on 4.4 gets unused.

First of all, thank for ur fast answer.

If im going for stereo 2.5 like the attached file, what should be the pinout then?

And why all custom cable that ive seen usually make cablres with mono over stereo?

Thanks again! 🤙

PD. If u got any webpage with info about this kind of question, Ill like to read it 😉

Attachments

• received_222670159665053.jpeg
    received_222670159665053.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #10,167 of 10,535
If im going for stereo 2.5 like the attached file, what should be the pinout then?
Tip = +, Ring = -, Sleeve = - (basically short ring and sleeve)

Most headphones will only use tip and sleeve for their signal, but not every manufacturer keeps to this "standard" (as is unfortunately common in the world of headphones). So its always a good idea to short out ring and sleeve. There are a couple of Headphones that need a yet again different wiring though (like the Audio Technica R70x)

And why all custom cable that ive seen usually make cablres with mono over stereo?
When using mono jacks you dont need to short ring and sleeve, which is one step less :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #10,168 of 10,535
its always a good idea to short out tip and ring.
Don't you mean Ring and Sleeve? I'd never short Tip and Ring on a cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back