DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #9,916 of 10,535
I love the Sommer Cable Aqua blue 🥰

PSX_20210201_142940.jpg

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #9,917 of 10,535
It's a Viablue one. Pricey but nice.

Moon confirmed to me they tie the braided sheild to the ground at the amp end.

Then you get a bunch of connects that have the "directional" arrow, as they only ground the shield at the source end.

The directional arrow points to the end of the cable where its grounded according to Viablue.

The plug is a Viablue T6s 6.3mm (1/4") TRS and cost $11.49. I've always used Amphenol and Neutrik but wanted something less bulky with better build quality and the Viablue definitely was exactly that. avoutlet also has the 3.5mm plug in two sizes for around the same price. Both my amps use 1/4" so i went with the large.

Check out how tiny the small 3.5mm is.
stecker_t6s_klinke_35_stereo_small_s.jpg

One thing i should note, when buying Viablue components, make sure to ONLY buy them from the dealers listed on their website. Apparently there are lots of counterfeit stuff out there, particularly on ebay, amazon, and aliexpress.

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #9,918 of 10,535
Here's the finished cable. A bit shorter than im used to but my last cable which was 2m was always catching on my chair and yanking the headphones off my desk.

Viablue.png

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #9,920 of 10,535
I just finished up a new build utilizing some ViaBlue stuff as well and they're the best built components I've used so far. I used to be all about Eidolic, but I think ViaBlue beats them.

PXL_20210204_015421148.jpg

PXL_20210204_015347338.jpg
That setup looks awesome. May I ask where you purchased Viablue. Hopefully they could ship to Canada.

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #9,921 of 10,535
That setup looks awesome. May I ask where you purchased Viablue. Hopefully they could ship to Canada.

Thanks! I got them from Triton Audio Cables and they were awesome. The first 1/4" connector they sent was a bit damaged and they shipped me out a new one the same day I emailed about the damage.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #9,923 of 10,535
Does anyone have a source for male 4 pin mini xlr that isn’t switchcraft?
Other popular options are the Rean ones (cheap) and the Furutech ones (expensive).

The Furutech are nice. The little brown plastic piece inside melts easily, so if you're heatshrinking near it and using a hot air gun, wrap it in something to insulate first.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #9,924 of 10,535
Other popular options are the Rean ones (cheap) and the Furutech ones (expensive).

The Furutech are nice. The little brown plastic piece inside melts easily, so if you're heatshrinking near it and using a hot air gun, wrap it in something to insulate first.
I can only find the female furutech 4 pins. Would gladly buy pay the price. Any idea where I could get them?

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #9,927 of 10,535
Anyone have any tips/tricks on soldering up a pentaconn type plug? I recently got back into building cables, inspired by these types of connectors. I never liked 4 pin XLRs because of their inherent weight but they are a piece of cake to solder up. With these 4.4s, I've been able to wire up a couple cables but, man, it was a pain! I destroyed one of them trying to recover bridging two of the signal rings with solder. The two successes work fine but inside they sure aren't pretty! :triportsad:

If anyone's come up with an easy way to work with these plugs, would love to hear about it! I want to build a couple more cables but dreading having to deal with soldering up the 4.4s.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #9,928 of 10,535
Anyone have any tips/tricks on soldering up a pentaconn type plug? I recently got back into building cables, inspired by these types of connectors. I never liked 4 pin XLRs because of their inherent weight but they are a piece of cake to solder up. With these 4.4s, I've been able to wire up a couple cables but, man, it was a pain! I destroyed one of them trying to recover bridging two of the signal rings with solder. The two successes work fine but inside they sure aren't pretty! :triportsad:

If anyone's come up with an easy way to work with these plugs, would love to hear about it! I want to build a couple more cables but dreading having to deal with soldering up the 4.4s.
I smother in flux paste. Bit of solder on top to tin. And alternative sides of the pin for the conductors to keep them as far away from their neighbours as possible. So only tin the edge/side a small amount. If that makes sense.

4.4mm isn't too bad. 2.5mm trrs can go die in a fire.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #9,930 of 10,535
Hi, where can I get balanced cable with 4 wires? I want to make DIY balanced cable for HD600. Tnx
Just find a "quad microphone cable". Like Mogami 2534. Or a Quad Mini mic cable. They will have 4 wires in then, stick with between 24-26awg per.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back