DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 9, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #9,211 of 10,535
You are right. The stock cables are all thin copper but they don't sound particularly bassy. It must be the wire I used, which I forgot what it was lol
I have little to none experience with cables anyway so experimenting with some silver should be fun:beyersmile:
Using 22 awg would cost around $450 total. umm...now 24 awg seems to be the sensible option
I plan to do individually sleeving with paracord too. A 24 awg wire is 1.2 OD. Which type should I use? Is 275 cord with 2mm diameter ok?

Yep it is quite punchy on the price front, for the record i have to say the performance does just justify the cost, but the i think you'll be really pleased with the results with the 24awg silver. I'm not the best person to advise on braiding the individual wires, because as i mentioned i prefer braiding the wires first then sleeving the whole lot like this:

SG&Copper UPOCC 8 Core 2m_1.JPG

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #9,212 of 10,535
I would go with the bigger gauge personally and use 550 paracord especially if you're only using 4 wires, is the price including VAT if so I would stump up for the bigger gauge at 37 per metre just for the extra clout in the detail and clarity.

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #9,218 of 10,535
Which cable do you guys use to short 1-4 and 2-3 pins on the miniXLR when making Audeze cables? I saw a recommendation for Neotech UP-OCC copper, but it doesn't mention which gauge to use. Not a lot of room to work with there.

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #9,220 of 10,535
Use anything, it will not make a difference to the end sound, I normally use a small piece of solid core to bridge and then just solder to that.

I was going to say that same thing, but thought i might be cast out from the Audiophile club for not using like 9N Cryo Silver Plated Copper wire.. I use any cheap bit of solid core i can find for this too.

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #9,222 of 10,535
Does anybody know of a good quality 4 pin xlr plug that falls somewhere in between the cheapo Neutrik/Switchcraft stuff that runs like $5 and the $80-ish Furutech? It seems bizarre that there's this enormous wasteland in between those price points.

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #9,223 of 10,535
Does anybody know of a good quality 4 pin xlr plug that falls somewhere in between the cheapo Neutrik/Switchcraft stuff that runs like $5 and the $80-ish Furutech? It seems bizarre that there's this enormous wasteland in between those price points.

I am interested too. There used to be the Eidolic for ~$23 but they have been out of stock and the other one they offer is $149!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back