DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 4, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #9,181 of 10,535
https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/rean-3-5mm-mono-jack

Cosmic cables say the rean 3.5mm Jacks work with the Beyerdynamic/Sony Headphones. can anybody confirm this is true?

Sorry my last post corrupted so here it is again..

I think it Depends on the model. Beyer T1 2nd gen have 2.5mm jacks. Sony z1r take 3.5 mono.

Those team plugs are very expensive on their site, I buy loads for making cables for focal’s and they’re normally about £1 each. They are good however and easy to work with.

https://cpc.farnell.com/rean/nys226/plug-3-5mm-mono-nickel-crimp-sr/dp/CN19672?mckv=segNMW4w1_dm|pcrid|224645161149|kword||match||plid||slid||product|CN19672|pgrid|45968746254|ptaid|pla-582605047582|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8b_brbi25AIVArDtCh1kRAyyEAQYBCABEgJqufD_BwE

Which headphone are you building for?

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #9,182 of 10,535
I have used them twice for two different sets of beyer t1 and on the first occasion that worked a treat but the next time the connection wasn't great, I'm not sure what changed the size of the hole or the size of the connector because I didn't have the other cable to compare anymore.

Sep 4, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #9,183 of 10,535
The rean connectors on cosmic-cables.co.uk are expensive but I bought 16m of the silver cotton wire and a jack and am happy to report
that it all arrived today along with a letter thanking me for my custom (nice touch I thought), the wire is really nice, nothing like what's on AliExpress
but I think I'll buy my rean connectors from Farnell if I ever use them again but nice to have another option since Toxic shut down.

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #9,184 of 10,535
I dont plan to buy them from cosmic cables, I do have a bunch of them myself (the black & gold version but that doesnt matter). I just didnt think theyd fit the Beyerdynamic cans. If they do that would be great news, since Id much rather use decent quality Neutrik/Rean jacks than cheap chinese crap (no offense)

I think it Depends on the model. Beyer T1 2nd gen have 2.5mm jacks. Sony z1r take 3.5 mono.

Im pretty sure the Beyer cans use 2x3.5mm aswell

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #9,185 of 10,535
Chinese products are as good as any others it's just that they manufacture their stuff in very large quantities and are able to sell at cheap prices, I can't imagine
a rean connector priced at 73p is head and shoulders above anything that's made in China and the Chinese jacks look a lot better too. In fact when you bend
the strain relief down to make soldering easier on the rean they quite often break off.

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #9,186 of 10,535
I mean the REAN jacks are made in China aswell, only the stuff thats branded Neutrik is actually made in Lichtenstein as far as I'm aware. Also not all chinese jacks are bad, just most of them are worse than the REAN Stuff and take ages to ship to the EU

So if anybody knows if the REAN fit the Beyerdynamic Cans I would be very happy

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #9,187 of 10,535
Soonest I can let you know is Saturday night, I'm seeing a friend who has a pair of gen 2 and I have a cable with the rean connectors for my focal
clear so i'll take it with me and test, is Saturday too late.

Sep 4, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #9,189 of 10,535
Correct.

It’s not that there is no benefit, it’s electrically dangerous/not possible. Your headphone transducer does not care if it shares a ground or not (single ended vs balanced), it’s a passive device. If you make the pigtail right you can’t connect it by accident (you have it wired properly throughout). But if you short the two grounds in your adapter you connect two parts (negatives) of two powered outputs. Basically short circuiting the amp.

TL;DR -
Balanced output -> balanced cable = GOOD
Balanced output -> SE adapter/cable = BAD
SE output -> SE adapter/cable = GOOD

Clear?

Got it! Thanks a lot for helping me get a better picture of this, I appreciate it. I am excited to try out making my first cable!

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #9,190 of 10,535
Hi

Anyone know where I can get a cable made like this or a place a can purchase from
It’s for my Fiio M11 to my Hugo 1
Any help would be good I could possibly build my self if I know where to purchase correct stuff etc.
Thanks

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #9,191 of 10,535
Hi

Anyone know where I can get a cable made like this or a place a can purchase from
Any help would be good I could possibly build my self if I know where to purchase correct stuff etc.
Thanks

I'm assuming that this is a 3.5mm to Digital Coax cable, as in you wish to connect it to the Yellow RCA looking connector on the Hugo 1.

If so then i think that this is the pins that need to connect.

61-sAxgD5HL._SL1500_.jpg

Taken from the following item on Amazon Website

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micca-Premium-SPDIF-Digital-Coaxial-Black/dp/B00V436UQU

It does state that the cable needs to be capable of transmitting 75 Ohms through the wire, but use of a decent wire is more important. Link can explain better.

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/coaxial-digital-audio.html

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #9,192 of 10,535
Thanks
I'm assuming that this is a 3.5mm to Digital Coax cable, as in you wish to connect it to the Yellow RCA looking connector on the Hugo 1.

If so then i think that this is the pins that need to connect.

Taken from the following item on Amazon Website

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micca-Premium-SPDIF-Digital-Coaxial-Black/dp/B00V436UQU

It does state that the cable needs to be capable of transmitting 75 Ohms through the wire, but use of a decent wire is more important. Link can explain better.

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/coaxial-digital-audio.html
Thanks for that..I wish there was one I could just purchase short jumper between the two devices .

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #9,193 of 10,535
Hi

Thanks
Guess you want to use digital output from M11 (3.5mm coaxial, shared with phones output) to connect to coaxial digital input of Hugo 1 (RCA).
In this case, the 3.5mm coaxial plug can be TS (tip & sleeve) type. Digital signal goes to tip, ground to sleeve.
If so, the second cable in your pic is what you need.
You can find a quite decent affordable one here:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e06.html
e06-3.jpg

You can select and customize length.
Canare LV-61S wire. true 75 ohms nominal impedance (between conductor and shield)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #9,194 of 10,535
That would be great thank you!
The new Rean connectors won't fit the gen 2 by a tiny margin, I know that they definitely used to fit but I'm guessing that's not
gonna help you, as I said I don't know what's changed the Rean or the headphone hole, hate to say it but if the ones you have are
old stock then they may still work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back