DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 1, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #9,166 of 10,535
Hey y'all,

I am getting ready to start making my own cables and I want to start with a cable for my M1060s. I have a Periapt cable, however really dislike how long the 2.5mm plugs are because they extended for recessed jacks, and can poke at my shoulders if I tilt my head too much either way. I have only been able to find these plugs on Redco, however wanted to see if there are any options for 2.5mm that do no have the extension?

https://www.redco.com/Switchcraft-850.html

Also, I want to use the pig-tail system where the cables are connected by a mini-xlr connector, I understand how they are wired for balanced termination (in concept), however can a 4-pin mini xlr connector be used for SE cables as well, or will I need to use 3-pin mini xlr connectors for those cables? I'd like to keep the same connector for my balanced and SE amps so if the 4-pin can work with either that would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #9,167 of 10,535
Hey y'all,

I am getting ready to start making my own cables and I want to start with a cable for my M1060s. I have a Periapt cable, however really dislike how long the 2.5mm plugs are because they extended for recessed jacks, and can poke at my shoulders if I tilt my head too much either way. I have only been able to find these plugs on Redco, however wanted to see if there are any options for 2.5mm that do no have the extension?

https://www.redco.com/Switchcraft-850.html

Also, I want to use the pig-tail system where the cables are connected by a mini-xlr connector, I understand how they are wired for balanced termination (in concept), however can a 4-pin mini xlr connector be used for SE cables as well, or will I need to use 3-pin mini xlr connectors for those cables? I'd like to keep the same connector for my balanced and SE amps so if the 4-pin can work with either that would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help!

There are non-extended 2.5mm on AliExpress, but haven’t come across a lot from the more reliable quality suppliers - TRRS options, yes, but not mono plugs.

As for cabling, make your cable balanced (which they all are of you have separate + and - wires going to each cup, so 4 wires - only if you have a single TRS input in one cup will it be single ended down the line). Terminate with your balanced 4 pin mini XLR and make your pigtail connectors as desired. Join the two - wires to a common ground for SE, or keep them separate for balanced.

Remember you can adapt a balanced headphone cable to single ended and plug it in safely. You cannot build an adapter to go from a single ended cable to a balanced connector without risking damage to the balanced amp you plug that into. The most flexible single cable in terms of adaptability is always a balanced one with suitable adapters/pigtails.

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #9,168 of 10,535
Yes, I ordered a relatively cheap connector for a tenner to see what happens, I was looking at this https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/silver-cotton
because I want to make a cable of that colour but I'll see how it goes with the connector first (which I'll need for the cable anyhow), I'll let you know as soon as
I know more.

As i think was previously mentioned, Cosmic seems expensive for what they are offering. The link below is to something that is pretty close to what you are looking for and it's £2.40 a metre. Stock they have is 20 or 22 gauge but they do stock thinner of this wire but its just out of stock at the moment. I personally think that the slight quality improvment may not be worth 3 times the cost.

https://oidiosound.co.uk/diy/wire/spc-wire.html

AliExpress has this cable too for a lot less, 10 Metres for £11

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1941379446.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.592f4c4d4Jn04F

The picture also concerns me a little as it seems to show Teflon covered cable yet, calls it cotton covered.
This is more what I would expect: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/jupiter-cotton-insulated-wire.html

Personally I get my wire from oidiosound.co.uk or Designacable.co.uk.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #9,169 of 10,535
As i think was previously mentioned, Cosmic seems expensive for what they are offering. The link below is to something that is pretty close to what you are looking for and it's £2.40 a metre. Stock they have is 20 or 22 gauge but they do stock thinner of this wire but its just out of stock at the moment. I personally think that the slight quality improvment may not be worth 3 times the cost.

https://oidiosound.co.uk/diy/wire/spc-wire.html

AliExpress has this cable too for a lot less, 10 Metres for £11

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1941379446.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.592f4c4d4Jn04F

The picture also concerns me a little as it seems to show Teflon covered cable yet, calls it cotton covered.
This is more what I would expect: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/jupiter-cotton-insulated-wire.html

Personally I get my wire from oidiosound.co.uk or Designacable.co.uk.

Thanks for this, I read it as cotton core not cotton sleeve, the wire that you have mentioned from AliExpress is awful as I found out first hand, it is completely inflexible and not
acceptable for a headphone cable, it is very low quality imo, the only thing on ali that looks similar is the Neotech stuff which I don't think is actually Neotech and the prices
are equal or more https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/...&origin=y&catId=0&isViewCP=y&switch_new_app=y.
Oidio never seem to have wire stock and the Neotech wire at hificollective is also more expensive which is why I was apprehensive in the first place, I have now ordered 16m of the wire
from cosmic-cables.co.uk and will report back as soon as I have received it. Thanks for your help.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #9,170 of 10,535
Thanks for this, I read it as cotton core not cotton sleeve, the wire that you have mentioned from AliExpress is awful as I found out first hand, it is completely inflexible and not
acceptable for a headphone cable, it is very low quality imo, the only thing on ali that looks similar is the Neotech stuff which I don't think is actually Neotech and the prices
are equal or more https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/...&origin=y&catId=0&isViewCP=y&switch_new_app=y.
Oidio never seem to have wire stock and the Neotech wire at hificollective is also more expensive which is why I was apprehensive in the first place, I have now ordered 16m of the wire
from cosmic-cables.co.uk and will report back as soon as I have received it. Thanks for your help.

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with it, because it might turn out to be great value. On OIDIO sound, the only thing theyre rubbish at is updating stock levels in their DIY section. They generally have everything thats on there, in stock if you ask plus stuff they dont put on, such as every type of headphone connector you can think of. They are really great to deal with, happy to give indepth DIY advice and everything i've ever ordered arrived the following day

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #9,172 of 10,535
There are non-extended 2.5mm on AliExpress, but haven’t come across a lot from the more reliable quality suppliers - TRRS options, yes, but not mono plugs.

As for cabling, make your cable balanced (which they all are of you have separate + and - wires going to each cup, so 4 wires - only if you have a single TRS input in one cup will it be single ended down the line). Terminate with your balanced 4 pin mini XLR and make your pigtail connectors as desired. Join the two - wires to a common ground for SE, or keep them separate for balanced.

Remember you can adapt a balanced headphone cable to single ended and plug it in safely. You cannot build an adapter to go from a single ended cable to a balanced connector without risking damage to the balanced amp you plug that into. The most flexible single cable in terms of adaptability is always a balanced one with suitable adapters/pigtails.

Thanks so much for the info and feedback! It's a bummer how limited the options are for 2.5mm plugs that are not extended, at least I know I have been looking in the right places. As for cable termination question, I think I was overthinking the process: The mini xlr is literal bridge between the two pieces and should be wired as if the mini xlr was not there; with the focus being on the termination for the amp or headphone (balanced - each of the wires and terminated separately, and the - wires are joined and soldered to the sleeve of a TRS), right?

To your last point, I understand there is no benefit to connecting a SE headphone/cable into a balanced input on an amp since it is terminated to SE regardless. So not that I would do it anyways, I am wondering how could it damage the amp if for example I make this pigtail system, and someone connects a DT-1990 to the balanced input of my 789 rather than the SE input?

Thanks again for all of your help! I appreciate it very much.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #9,173 of 10,535
Thanks so much for the info and feedback! It's a bummer how limited the options are for 2.5mm plugs that are not extended, at least I know I have been looking in the right places. As for cable termination question, I think I was overthinking the process: The mini xlr is literal bridge between the two pieces and should be wired as if the mini xlr was not there; with the focus being on the termination for the amp or headphone (balanced - each of the wires and terminated separately, and the - wires are joined and soldered to the sleeve of a TRS), right?

Correct.

To your last point, I understand there is no benefit to connecting a SE headphone/cable into a balanced input on an amp since it is terminated to SE regardless. So not that I would do it anyways, I am wondering how could it damage the amp if for example I make this pigtail system, and someone connects a DT-1990 to the balanced input of my 789 rather than the SE input?

Thanks again for all of your help! I appreciate it very much.

It’s not that there is no benefit, it’s electrically dangerous/not possible. Your headphone transducer does not care if it shares a ground or not (single ended vs balanced), it’s a passive device. If you make the pigtail right you can’t connect it by accident (you have it wired properly throughout). But if you short the two grounds in your adapter you connect two parts (negatives) of two powered outputs. Basically short circuiting the amp.

TL;DR -
Balanced output -> balanced cable = GOOD
Balanced output -> SE adapter/cable = BAD
SE output -> SE adapter/cable = GOOD

Clear?

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #9,174 of 10,535
I'm starting to go insane, so I know there's some trick of the trade that I'm missing: How do I snake wire through paracord without the little sharp edges of the wire/sheathing snagging threads in the sleeve's fabric and getting stuck?

I tried making a blob of solder on the end of the wires to keep them from grabbing the paracord, but the solder wasn't a nice, round ball—too angular. I tried wrapping with teflon tape, but that's so thin the wires were able to snag the threads of the cord right through the tape.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #9,177 of 10,535
I'm starting to go insane, so I know there's some trick of the trade that I'm missing: How do I snake wire through paracord without the little sharp edges of the wire/sheathing snagging threads in the sleeve's fabric and getting stuck?

I tried making a blob of solder on the end of the wires to keep them from grabbing the paracord, but the solder wasn't a nice, round ball—too angular. I tried wrapping with teflon tape, but that's so thin the wires were able to snag the threads of the cord right through the tape.

I've had really good luck putting heat shrink tubing on the end of the wire (with enough tubing hanging off the end of the wire to ensure nothing has a chance of snagging), then snaking it through.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #9,178 of 10,535
Use 4mm it's perfect and the quality ofvthe finished cable always looks and feels better, bit more difficult to get into the openings of your connectors but you can always squish it together with a bit of hot glue

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #9,180 of 10,535
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back