DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #8,491 of 10,535
I generally use star quad for balanced interconnects myself, I have had little experience with silver other than some extensive testing on headphone cables. Good luck in your search.

Oh and that AES cable should work at short distances, cable impedance is not much of a factor then and Mogami certainly makes good product.

It does work in that the sound was OK. but I am looking for something more open sounding.

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #8,492 of 10,535
It does work in that the sound was OK. but I am looking for something more open sounding.

The most a cable can do is preserve the signal traveling down the wire, they do not enhance it but some do a better job than others of preserving what is there.

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #8,493 of 10,535
agree. but they can certainly diminish a certain signal though. the reason I want to try silver is that from the same dac to the same amp, when I use my RCA cable (using just the single ended part of the Mjolnir 2), it does open up the sound. that is another DIY cable with silver strands. unfortunately it wasn't made by me so i don't know what secret sauce was in it. I want to explore what the Mjolnir can do with full balanced but the cable is holding it back.

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #8,494 of 10,535
I
agree. but they can certainly diminish a certain signal though. the reason I want to try silver is that from the same dac to the same amp, when I use my RCA cable (using just the single ended part of the Mjolnir 2), it does open up the sound. that is another DIY cable with silver strands. unfortunately it wasn't made by me so i don't know what secret sauce was in it. I want to explore what the Mjolnir can do with full balanced but the cable is holding it back.

I run balanced throughout my system and soon on to mono blocks, Gumby, Freya, all the way to headphones and I have access to most any cable made but I have not tried silver there, sorry.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #8,495 of 10,535
One other possibility is to upgrade your source pre-outs. A larger voltage pre-out often makes for a better amplification cycle. That or find non-brass connectors.

I made some Neotech gold/silver xlr interconnects between yggy and gsx mk2 and my LCR channels on my preprocessor. Pricey wire though. You could probably get more bang from your buck upgrading source or transducer.

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #8,496 of 10,535
well said King

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #8,497 of 10,535
Which Neotech did you use and how do you like it?

I am looking at the NEI-2002. As you said, rather pricey and also quite thick. I probably just need a short length of it, less that 1.5 feet. Shorter is generally better and that will keep the cost down but at the same time, want to make sure that it will bend around ok.

Source will be either Terminator or Ares depending on where the Mjolnir ends up.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #8,498 of 10,535
Which Neotech did you use and how do you like it?

I am looking at the NEI-2002. As you said, rather pricey and also quite thick. I probably just need a short length of it, less that 1.5 feet. Shorter is generally better and that will keep the cost down but at the same time, want to make sure that it will bend around ok.

Source will be either Terminator or Ares depending on where the Mjolnir ends up.
I used the 26 awg silver/gold hookup wire. It's not shielded, but since I'm running a real balanced rig that's not a problem.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/neotech-silver-gold-hook-up-wire.html

Do I like it? Yes, yes I do. Just don't mate that kind of wire with brass or phosphor bronze xlr pins as you will be wasting your time. Conductivity is king.

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #8,499 of 10,535
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #8,501 of 10,535
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #8,502 of 10,535
I used the 26 awg silver/gold hookup wire. It's not shielded, but since I'm running a real balanced rig that's not a problem.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/neotech-silver-gold-hook-up-wire.html

Do I like it? Yes, yes I do. Just don't mate that kind of wire with brass or phosphor bronze xlr pins as you will be wasting your time. Conductivity is king.

Great tip! As I only need a short length and balanced I think I will do something similar.

My first attempt at making my own cables didn't work out too well. I used Neotech 23awg silver cable in a starquad config with Vampire XLR connectors. The cables are around 8" long. I did have fun making them and they look quite nice.

However, the sound is very thin and not producing the expected amount of clarity. Very lifeless.

Back to the drawing board?

i-bM6dFwD-M.jpg

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #8,503 of 10,535
Hi!

I am going to build a cable, but i am a bit confused, the thing is the cable is going to be dual mini-xlr that terminates in a single 6,3 mm plug. But according to pretty mutch any picture i have seen, it looks like a need 3 wires for each output on the xlr, But most of the cables recommended here is 4 cables internally. How would this work?

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #8,504 of 10,535
Hi!

I am going to build a cable, but i am a bit confused, the thing is the cable is going to be dual mini-xlr that terminates in a single 6,3 mm plug. But according to pretty mutch any picture i have seen, it looks like a need 3 wires for each output on the xlr, But most of the cables recommended here is 4 cables internally. How would this work?

You only run two wires to each mini XLR. for what headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back