DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #7,711 of 10,535
This is my "I have 15 minutes to accomplish this the ball game is about to start" dual 3 pin male xlr to single 4 pin female xlr conversion. It will be easier to just build cables to four pin XLR males than some to that and some to dual 3 pin xlrs. Please note I have all supplies at hand and have memorized xlr layouts so it was a quick build. Inside the four pin xlr I marked each pair with red or black heat shrink tubing to be able to quickly tell them apart. I used Mogami star quad and Neutrik connectors. The amps are dual NuForce HA-200's with enough power to push any headphones I own.
IMG_2323.JPG

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #7,712 of 10,535
Anyone familiar with CustomArts 2pin IEM pin out? The only difference is one side has a bit of a groove where - anyone know where Signal/Ground or +/- should go? Im guessing if connecting pins are pointing north, then the signal/+ would be on the West side, while ground/- would be on the East.

6iuldi6.jpg

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #7,713 of 10,535
Okay, anyone got suggestions for tools to make twisting the two cables after the Y split together evenly? I've read about using a drill to twist the cables together but I haven't had much success yet. Is my best option to learn how to do that better? It looks decent hand twisting but it's a pain and it can end up uneven regardless of how careful I am.

I'm also looking for a tool to make sleeving my cables quicker. The cable I'm currently using is 25 awg with 275 paracord.

Thanks for the suggestions :) I think these are the last things I'm looking for (and a vise) to really sreamline my process.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if those Eidolic red/black carbon fiber 6.3mm jacks still exist? I've been wanting to track one down for a cable.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #7,714 of 10,535
The term 'twisting' is misused in this instance. Twisting the wires forces the jacketing against its natural form, so when you take the tension away, it tries to go back to its natural shape and ends up looking like, well, you know.

One should always wrap the wires around each other, allowing them to come together naturally. I find that holding the wires up with one hand, letting them hang naturally, and wrapping them with the other hand works best for me.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #7,715 of 10,535
From what I have read from manufacturers I respect, the wires should be a uniform twisted pair. I generally use clear heat shrink to keep them to the uniform shape. This is as close as I can get to what Belden calls bonded twisted pair.
In a build I just finished this morn, I used 8 wire 7n occ copper and braided the four wires to connectors and this certainly helps them retain the shape I desire. This is a build for a balanced system, HD 65xx, dual amps, and balanced dac. I sealed the wires in place inside the four pin xlr and headphone plugs with hot glue, then went over the top with heat shrink tubing.
IMG_2329.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #7,716 of 10,535
I am in the middle of my second try at cable making. This one is better than the first, but still not a pretty thing to see.

Have been using Mogami W2893, stripping the outer jacket and copper insulator, and working paracord over that. I may try building one leaving the Mogami as one piece up to the Y. If I wanted to cover the Mogami with paracord, anyone know what size would work for that?

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #7,717 of 10,535
I am in the middle of my second try at cable making. This one is better than the first, but still not a pretty thing to see.

Have been using Mogami W2893, stripping the outer jacket and copper insulator, and working paracord over that. I may try building one leaving the Mogami as one piece up to the Y. If I wanted to cover the Mogami with paracord, anyone know what size would work for that?

Thanks.

I did something similar but I still stripped the jacket off. I used 550 for the part before the split and 275 after.

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #7,718 of 10,535
Hey, for threading through paracord, this is what I came up with. Much easier than the caterpillar technique! :bug:

I'm also looking for a tool to make sleeving my cables quicker. The cable I'm currently using is 25 awg with 275 paracord.

Hey, I’m sure everyone already has this figured out but I thought I’d share the way I’ve been sleeving some 26awg wire with paracord.

I tried the inching along like a caterpillar but that was soul destroying so I got some thin, hollow brass tubing from a hobby store.

Then stripped a couple of cm of the wire and soldered it into the tube. It was easiest using the heat gun attachment to my gas soldering iron.

Then it was super easy to thread the tube through the paracord. Took less than 5 minutes for each 1.2ish metre wire, including soldering time.

Hope this helps someone!

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #7,719 of 10,535
Okay, anyone got suggestions for tools to make twisting the two cables after the Y split together evenly? I've read about using a drill to twist the cables together but I haven't had much success yet. Is my best option to learn how to do that better? It looks decent hand twisting but it's a pain and it can end up uneven regardless of how careful I am.

Thanks for the suggestions :) I think these are the last things I'm looking for (and a vise) to really sreamline my process.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if those Eidolic red/black carbon fiber 6.3mm jacks still exist? I've been wanting to track one down for a cable.

This comes up all the time... using the below method none of my cables have come untwisted once soldered, use a bit of heatshrink at the top after twisting to keep them together for soldering. Once you let go, it will untwist a turn or two and no more.

Here you go, how to twist them properly:

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #7,721 of 10,535
Very similar! I was using some eight wire down to four per side but your two wire twists look like they are holding up quite well and they are nice and uniform. I have a new Dac/AMP on the way and will be using the four pin XLR with it so I figured I would adapt the dual amps to the same configuration.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #7,724 of 10,535
I like the look of that headphone stand but personally i wouldn't use it,Why?Because the pads is always under pressure.

The bottom of the pads is only about 70 mm apart so there is not a huge amount of pressure but point noted. I mainly used these for the photo and generally use a "T" shaped stand that holds four pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back