DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #6,781 of 10,535
  Mouser Electronics has them.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/880X/?qs=iwvYsH9bSFbKw1hXLRZXaA%3D%3D&gclid=Cj0KEQjwicfHBRCh6KaMp4-asKgBEiQA8GH2x1UzzkFBxvW6mFMAu9KpNtPPn-XY-QdsDk3IVSxsx1caAt2_8P8HAQ

The 880 model, and they are quality connectors. I am using some Switchcraft in a couple Bottlehead Crack builds because they use nickel covered brass.

Is this a mono sub mini plug? The original is a stereo sub mini. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #6,782 of 10,535
  Is this a mono sub mini plug? The original is a stereo sub mini. 

That is a mono, I was thinking you mentioned a mono going to each side of the headphones but if you need stereo on one side I am sure Switchcraft would build them as well. I will repeat, I do not know those particular headphones and I lack the time to look them up right now. This is why I thought you had two mono connectors.

with 2.5 mini's male (headphone) 

You used the term 2.5 mini's male, that sounds plural to me, thus I figured mono per channel. It is easy enough to look up TS and TRS connectors so you know when a connector is mono and when it is stereo. Those are pretty basic things if you want to build some cables. I can explain it to you but i cannot comprehend it for you. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #6,783 of 10,535
I got the 502-850X from Mouser, they're about 4 dollars cheaper per connector than the 880X. Not sure the difference other than color(?). http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=iwvYsH9bSFa9I0XHZl7b1Q%3d%3d

The 880X says the housing is "metal" versus "black" for the 850 but I'm pretty sure it's also metal. It doesn't feel like plastic but I could be wrong. My VP of Eng. used to be a Switchcraft rep so I scored some brownie points at work for these. Plus, I like the look as they are tiny and unobtrusive, so many of the others have either larger plastic bodied or are much longer than the Switchcraft models. I bought some other versions to compare because they were super cheap and Amazon is evil but they just don't compare in my mind.

UPDATE: The 880X is shielded while the 850X isn't. Paladin79 can speak to whether the shielding is actually necessary but in my usage I've not had a problem with the 850X and interference of any kind.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #6,785 of 10,535
Thanks for the stereo/mono explanation and i see why there was some confusion. I have some headphones that take 3,5 mm stereo on both sides and they wired the tip as hot and the ring as ground, it was enough to confuse people trying to replace the cables if they had never used an ohmmeter before. I believe those connectors use nickel over copper alloy for the plug and the housing is anodized copper alloy. 

It is close enough to my liking to be considered brass. I am building two amps whose exposed metal will be copper, brass or gold so I searched all over for housings I could remove the nickel plating from to expose the color metal I wanted and Switchcraft was my choice. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #6,786 of 10,535
  I got the 502-850X from Mouser, they're about 4 dollars cheaper per connector than the 880X. Not sure the difference other than color(?). http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=iwvYsH9bSFa9I0XHZl7b1Q%3d%3d

The 880X says the housing is "metal" versus "black" for the 850 but I'm pretty sure it's also metal. It doesn't feel like plastic but I could be wrong. My VP of Eng. used to be a Switchcraft rep so I scored some brownie points at work for these. Plus, I like the look as they are tiny and unobtrusive, so many of the others have either larger plastic bodied or are much longer than the Switchcraft models. I bought some other versions to compare because they were super cheap and Amazon is evil but they just don't compare in my mind.

UPDATE: The 880X is shielded while the 850X isn't. Paladin79 can speak to whether the shielding is actually necessary but in my usage I've not had a problem with the 850X and interference of any kind.

Thanks. I"ll give them some consideration. I"d like for my cables to be quality but saving is always good too especially if they work well.
Also, thanks for the clarification on the stereo/mono plugs. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #6,787 of 10,535

I have not noticed interference with the plastic housings as well. I am more apt to use the metal for durability reason. 

Caecillius I am in your area a couple times a year, my son and his family are in Fairfax county near Wolf Trap. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #6,789 of 10,535
For this looking for a 2.5mm mono plug with solder lugs and extended pole, I have found two.

PlusSound
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/connectors.html
$15 / pair
Very nice looking

AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Pieces-2-5mm-Male-Headphone-Plug-Male-Stereo-Audio-Connector-For-Cable-Adapter/32580136003.html
Claims to be gold plated
$4.81 / pair
$16.33 / 5 pairs

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #6,790 of 10,535
  I'm just down Rt7 in Sterling a couple of miles away. PM if you are in the area and want to grab a drink or just talk tech.

Will do, you are the third head-fier I know in that area now. Microzotl is not far away in Maryland, I will make it there one day as well. High quality OTL amps.
Naturally I fly into Dulles, I see you are north of that. 

I just got done building a stock Bottlehead Crack, and found I did not have the right length RCA cables so I threw together some Belden 1800F with Neutrik PROFI connectors. I built directional cables and my preamp is a Valhalla 2 so tubes all the way. (Green cables plugged into back of amp.)  I was a little anxious to hear the amp so build time on the cables, seven minutes. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,791 of 10,535
quick question: will i have any problems with microphonics with techflex? I want to use 4 strand mic cable, wrapped with techflex (bigger diameter until split, then smaller diameter after)

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #6,792 of 10,535
  quick question: will i have any problems with microphonics with techflex? I want to use 4 strand mic cable, wrapped with techflex (bigger diameter until split, then smaller diame

it has a rough texture and I believe it is made of nylon or a plastic so you can have microphonics with it. I try to go with softer materials that have some cotton in them myself.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #6,793 of 10,535
  quick question: will i have any problems with microphonics with techflex? I want to use 4 strand mic cable, wrapped with techflex (bigger diameter until split, then smaller diameter after)

there a many types of tech flex. which one are you thinking of using? Multifilament nylon tech flex isn't too bad, and has the protective benefits of nylon. The cotton stuff Paladin79 refers to is very soft, but may not be as protective. it's a tradeoff. Many people use Paracord or even shoelaces. Lot's of options.

One thing that I think it true regardless of what you use. If you pull it very tight over the wire, it will be more noisy. Pull it tight, then pull back a little and give the sleeve some slack, maybe a few inches of sleeving, then cut it.  

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #6,794 of 10,535

there a many types of tech flex. which one are you thinking of using? Multifilament nylon tech flex isn't too bad, and has the protective benefits of nylon. The cotton stuff Paladin79 refers to is very soft, but may not be as protective. it's a tradeoff. Many people use Paracord or even shoelaces. Lot's of options.

One thing that I think it true regardless of what you use. If you pull it very tight over the wire, it will be more noisy. Pull it tight, then pull back a little and give the sleeve some slack, maybe a few inches of sleeving, then cut it.  

What I said was, I use a material with SOME cotton in it, it also has a much smaller nylon mesh for strength. It is very smooth to the touch and lacks the roughness of most any techflex product I have tried.  I think Allan is thinking of something he has used or tried but it is NOT what I was referring to lol.

I will also add that I had this material made up to my specs and unless someone broke into my office in the middle of the night there is no way someone could be describing what I am referring to.
k701smile.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #6,795 of 10,535

What I said was, I use a material with SOME cotton in it, it also has a much smaller nylon mesh for strength. It is very smooth to the touch and lacks the roughness of most any techflex product I have tried.  I think Allan is thinking of something he has used or tried but it is NOT what I was referring to lol.

Sounds interesting. I was thinking of cotton or silk sleeving. Looks great, but can get dirty easily. 

Stuff like this from PlusSoundAudio is very nice:
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/components.html
Black, White, Silver available. 

Paracord and shoelaces are also good. I've used TechFlex Nylon Multifilament with good results, but it can be a bit noisy. 
You can search eBay for "BRAIDED NYLON SLEEVING tech flex" and find some 25' lengths for under $5, which might be good to experiment with. 
 If the wires are looser int he sleeve, they will be more flexible and less noisy. Too loose and it feel weird. 

DoubleHelex Cables has "pure white cotton sleeve", but i gotta wonder about the durability of the stuff. 
https://doublehelixcables.com/product/dhc-pure-white-cotton-sleeve/

parts Connexion has "pure silk tubing"
http://www.partsconnexion.com/tubing_silk.html
I have no personal experience with this stuff, but it looks interesting. Not cheap

@Paladin79 - can you post a link to an example of what you are referring to? I think you posted a pic of some purple stuff a while back. I'm always looking for something interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back