DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 11, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #6,751 of 10,535
  In all honesty, I bought it purely for appearance's sake.  It was an opportunity to make a good looking cable for not much money.  The next one I make will definitely be function over form though!

Not a problem and I am glad you did not invest a lot in it. I try to follow the logic on why they build certain wire a certain way. Generally I only see silver plated wire in high end RF uses. If Belden builds it, there is usually a good reason for it. (skin effect)
We have five senses, (some say seven but i won't get into that). Sound is important to me but so is appearance and feel of a cable so I respect those things as well. I even had one customer who talked about the smell of silicone wires before, she would call me to order stinky red cables. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #6,752 of 10,535
I know the info will be in here, but not knowing where to start after digging through pages I ask for some direction.

I have my solder kit and heat gun ready, just need the supplies. Primarily wondering if I could be linked to good wire, as I want same if not "better" quality than what I'm replacing. Plan to do 7-8 foot cables for each of my headphones.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #6,753 of 10,535
  I know the info will be in here, but not knowing where to start after digging through pages I ask for some direction.

I have my solder kit and heat gun ready, just need the supplies. Primarily wondering if I could be linked to good wire, as I want same if not "better" quality than what I'm replacing. Plan to do 7-8 foot cables for each of my headphones.

Since you are in Canada a lot of it depends on what you have available there or who will ship there. You can always start with some Mogami star quad, I personally do not strip out the individual wires but plenty of people do if you want to braid a cable. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #6,754 of 10,535
  Since you are in Canada a lot of it depends on what you have available there or who will ship there. You can always start with some Mogami star quad, I personally do not strip out the individual wires but plenty of people do if you want to braid a cable. 

Great, I'll start with seeing what I can get from that. Thanks!

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #6,755 of 10,535
Hi all. Amazing stuff. This thread had helped me a lot with basic headphone jack repairs and RCA replacements. I'm wondering if there is a way to make a stereo signal into mono that plays through both ears via a simple short cable. I put this together. It's a 3.5mm male o 3.5mm male then to stereo female to mono male then to stereo (both sides) coupler then to mono mail to stereo female with is where the headphones plug into. A couple of problems. It always seems like the 3.5mm jack has to be moved into just the right place to work and overall, I think there may be a grounding issue. Once in a while there is distortion. Trying to avoid having a separate box. Certain recordings, I would like to hear in mono rather than stereo. Eventually I get to audacity and pair them down, but when I'm traveling that is not always possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #6,756 of 10,535
Hi all. Amazing stuff. This thread had helped me a lot with basic headphone jack repairs and RCA replacements. I'm wondering if there is a way to make a stereo signal into mono that plays through both ears via a simple short cable. I put this together. It's a 3.5mm male o 3.5mm male then to stereo female to mono male then to stereo (both sides) coupler then to mono mail to stereo female with is where the headphones plug into. A couple of problems. It always seems like the 3.5mm jack has to be moved into just the right place to work and overall, I think there may be a grounding issue. Once in a while there is distortion. Trying to avoid having a separate box. Certain recordings, I would like to hear in mono rather than stereo. Eventually I get to audacity and pair them down, but when I'm traveling that is not always possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

yes, such a cable would be very easy. You would just get a male and female 3.5.mm plug and jack, then just run two wires between them, and jumper the L and R channels. 

Are you sure your player doesn't have an option for mono? For example, on an iOS device you can  use the accessibility settings to change the sound to mono.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #6,757 of 10,535

yes, such a cable would be very easy. You would just get a male and female 3.5.mm plug and jack, then just run two wires between them, and jumper the L and R channels. 

Are you sure your player doesn't have an option for mono? For example, on an iOS device you can  use the accessibility settings to change the sound to mono.

I do believe Allan is saying run the ground and left or right channel and jumper the channels on both ends. You can also have all three wires there and jumper left and right channel on one end.

You have to move them around a bit because if you go from a stereo to a mono with connectors on 3.5, the sleeve of the mono can touch the ring on the stereo. Rarely do they line up well.

The advice on the settings is very good.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #6,759 of 10,535
Thanks so far. would be for portable use with a DAP. At home, I'm all set and use speakers primarily. Plenty of mono vinyl records and a mono switch on my integrated amp.

What DAP? Does your DAP have a mono option?

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #6,761 of 10,535

Would this not short a balanced connection? I think single-ended would be fine as they already have a common ground, which the OP appears to have from the TRS tip in the picture.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #6,762 of 10,535
  Would this not short a balanced connection? I think single-ended would be fine as they already have a common ground, which the OP appears to have from the TRS tip in the picture.

I would not recommend combining grounds from a balanced output but TRS uses a common ground and I believe that is about all that was discussed there.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #6,763 of 10,535
Hello all. I am new to the DIY cable thread. I am a DIY person by nature. I could buy cables but I like tinkering too much!
I am interested in making a longer cord for my Hifiman 440i's. It is only about 4 feet long and I'd like for it to be at least 7 or 8. After hours of scrolling through this thread I'm still undecided as to what cable and hardware to purchase. It is a "y" cord 1.5 meters long with 2.5 mini's male (headphone) and a 6.35 male (amp).  I don't mind springing for quality. So if anyone has some input Id appreciate it.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #6,764 of 10,535

Quote:
  Hello all. I am new to the DIY cable thread. I am a DIY person by nature. I could buy cables but I like tinkering too much!
I am interested in making a longer cord for my Hifiman 440i's. It is only about 4 feet long and I'd like for it to be at least 7 or 8. After hours of scrolling through this thread I'm still undecided as to what cable and hardware to purchase. It is a "y" cord 1.5 meters long with 2.5 mini's male (headphone) and a 6.35 male (amp).  I don't mind springing for quality. So if anyone has some input Id appreciate it.

On the 6.35, you are always pretty safe with Neutrik or Amphenol, they are what I use most. Markertek will sell you those and 2.5 mini males will be on that site as well. I have not done much for Hifiman so I am not sure if those need to be extended tip 2.5 mm or not. Plenty of people here can answer that for you. An easy way to do such a cable is to get Belden or Mogami or Canare star quad cable. Strip the jacket back on the Y split end and run two wires to the 2.5 mm connectors and whichever you use for ground on the 2.5, both go to ground on the 1/4 inch connector. Each hot will then go to the tip or ring. Ring is right channel and marked red on many headphones. I am a bit pressed for time so I am probably getting too technical too quickly. I would attach the shield on the 1/4 inch headshell side only, you will be doing twisted pair to each 2.5 mm.

My advice is do something basic like this, learn trs and TS connectors, you can look that up easily. Then move on and do a three wire braid, then a four wire braid. Unless you run a balanced amp, the connections will stay about the same. If you use four wires in a braid, the twisted pair is acting as a shield. In the case of star quad, you  have a braid shield and in essence twisted pair as well.

You can use adhesive lined heat shrink tubing to form a quick and easy junction at the split. This cable has paracord over jacketed cable. You can also buy cable that is two conductors and a ground to build something like this. You have to do more soldering on the junction though and that takes a little time to explain.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back