DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #5,837 of 10,535
No dimmers nearby and the entire cable is braided. I'm also looking into some kind of sleeving to cut the RFI down.

It is unfortunate but sometimes there are specific types of cables made to work in certain applications and it can take a long time to learn the differences.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #5,839 of 10,535
Absolutely, and this is definitely one of those live and learn scenarios for sure.

I do have the luxury of having test equipment that I can use to examine the signal as well as enough theory and experience to work in the industry.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #5,840 of 10,535
OK, the janky solution wins the day for now.  12" of foil wrapped around the cable on the PS4 side stopped the noise.  I also put a ferrite core on the cable.  

Lesson learned - not all wire is created equal.  Buy the proper materials or there will be hours and hours of wasted time.  On the plus side, my new K7XX's sound great and no one on my fireteam has to listen to local AM talk radio when I'm online with them.  

And now I'll be hunting around online again for better wire.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #5,841 of 10,535
  OK, the janky solution wins the day for now.  12" of foil wrapped around the cable on the PS4 side stopped the noise.  I also put a ferrite core on the cable.  

Lesson learned - not all wire is created equal.  Buy the proper materials or there will be hours and hours of wasted time.  On the plus side, my new K7XX's sound great and no one on my fireteam has to listen to local AM talk radio when I'm online with them.  

And now I'll be hunting around online again for better wire.

I am glad you were able to isolate it and I wish you well in your search for the proper cable. I find myself making longer and longer braided cords to go from my iphone to an OPPO HA2 portable amp for better isolation. Aesthetics are good but functionality matters as well.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #5,842 of 10,535
Before putting on the connector do you all use heat shrink at the ends? I've seen some videos of people just heating up the paracord and then letting it heat shrink that way but I didn't know how effective that was.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #5,843 of 10,535
I generally use adhesive heat shrink tubing at each end to insure that it locks down the paracord. The adhesive is only activated with heat. I also do not like to have the paracord touching the connector ground to help keep microphonics down. The use of heat shrink can vary with connector. I do like to heat the frayed portion of the paracord to reduce more fraying and to give the heat shrink tubing a small ridge to grab onto.
Paracord by itself tends to travel IMHO.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #5,844 of 10,535
I generally use adhesive heat shrink tubing at each end to insure that it locks down the paracord. The adhesive is only activated with heat. I also do not like to have the paracord touching the connector ground to help keep microphonics down. The use of heat shrink can vary with connector. I do like to heat the frayed portion of the paracord to reduce more fraying and to give the heat shrink tubing a small ridge to grab onto.
Paracord by itself tends to travel IMHO.

Thanks for the tips :)

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #5,845 of 10,535
Glad to help. Another thing everyone might not be aware of is shrink ratio's on heat shrink. 2-1 is common but you can also find 3-1 which is great fou going over part of a connector body and yet shrinking down to fit the cable itself. There is also thin wall and double wall.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #5,846 of 10,535
Has anyone tried the generic brand OCC Litz SPC on the Toxic Cables DIY store?

There's no pictures and very little info. I don't want to buy if it's not a very supple, light wire. Also needs to be transparent, for that tough of aesthetic. :wink:

It's so inexpensive, it seems too good to be true. So I fear it's awful.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #5,847 of 10,535
Has anyone tried the generic brand OCC Litz SPC on the Toxic Cables DIY store?

There's no pictures and very little info. I don't want to buy if it's not a very supple, light wire. Also needs to be transparent, for that tough of aesthetic. :wink:

It's so inexpensive, it seems too good to be true. So I fear it's awful.
I see pictures on the site on my phone haven't tried on the computer yet. Looks finely stranded and it is transparent they have it in silk also the transparent one is out of stock though.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #5,848 of 10,535
Sometimes it just boils down to whether you like the sound. There are companies that sell OCC silver plated copper who give you documentation. A lot is coming out of China and the price is low but quality varies. Personally I would trust Toxic Cables because they offer such a wide variety of products and I doubt they would stay in business long if they sold inferior products or made false claims.You can test for silver plating and Litz wire is pretty obvious if you have ever worked with it so it may well be decent. The beauty of DIY is you are only out a small price and labor if it turns out to be so-so. Spend $150 up on such a cable and you would be expecting decent results.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #5,849 of 10,535
Guys please explain me something cuz im newbie.
What's real difference between SPDIF and USB? Can you hear difference? And can you hear difference between 16/44 vs 24/96? I was using 16/44 all the time cuz I didnt think that i have to choose it in settings on my PC... sound is way better. I was just wasting full potential of my soundcard. But can you hear difference?

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #5,850 of 10,535
What's real difference between SPDIF and USB? Can you hear difference? And can you hear difference between 16/44 vs 24/96? I was using 16/44 all the time cuz I didnt think that i have to choose it in settings on my PC... sound is way better. I was just wasting full potential of my soundcard. But can you hear difference?
This is not the right thread for this. I would think the introduction and help and recommendations thread would be more appropriate. Sorry for that my phone is acting up and won't let me fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back