DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 7, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #5,776 of 10,535
Hello. 

Can anyone help me out? I just found this thread and started reading through. I still have not completed reading all posts. If this is already been discussed, please excuse me.

I am trying to convert TFZ Series 5 to have 2 x 3.5mm jack to be balanced out for Pono and PHA 3. The cable is not removable so I might have to cut existing 3.5mm jack off and solder cable to 2 x 3.5mm jack. The cable has 4 very thin cables braided together.  I can unbraid them so separate 4 thin cables. However, I am not sure which 2 cables left and right since cables got together on chin slider and separate again and it is not clear which one is which side after chin slider.  Does it really matter which cable is left or right when soldering 2 x 3.5mm jack? Or it is okay as long as making sure 2 cables from one side goes to one 3.5mm and the other goes to the other 3.5mm jack?   

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #5,777 of 10,535
  Hello. 

Can anyone help me out? I just found this thread and started reading through. I still have not completed reading all posts. If this is already been discussed, please excuse me.

I am trying to convert TFZ Series 5 to have 2 x 3.5mm jack to be balanced out for Pono and PHA 3. The cable is not removable so I might have to cut existing 3.5mm jack off and solder cable to 2 x 3.5mm jack. The cable has 4 very thin cables braided together.  I can unbraid them so separate 4 thin cables. However, I am not sure which 2 cables left and right since cables got together on chin slider and separate again and it is not clear which one is which side after chin slider.  Does it really matter which cable is left or right when soldering 2 x 3.5mm jack? Or it is okay as long as making sure 2 cables from one side goes to one 3.5mm and the other goes to the other 3.5mm jack?   

Find a song that you know well where a certain track is on the left channel and another on the right. Rewire the cable and then match up the connectors so the music is correct then mark them so you know the next time. It does not matter so much since you can figure it out. It does matter if you reverse the hot and ground so hopefully that will not be an issue for you.  Personally I use Sirius by The Alan Parsons Project.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #5,778 of 10,535
  Hello. 

if you do it work, the channels will be reversed. If that is not an issue for you, then it doesn't matter. If you care, this might help:

Stereo Audio Test (Left, Right)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJ0dvAl98k

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #5,779 of 10,535
Hello there.

My Hifiman RE-400's cable is visibly damaged, and I'm looking to try a rewire.

Could you please tell me if there's a topic where I can find some sort of list of companies / persons that offer rewire servies (Europe)?

Thanks in advance.

BR

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #5,780 of 10,535
T
  Hello there.

My Hifiman RE-400's cable is visibly damaged, and I'm looking to try a rewire.

Could you please tell me if there's a topic where I can find some sort of list of companies / persons that offer rewire servies (Europe)?

Thanks in advance.

BR

This is the "Do it yourself" thread. You should post in the Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories forum.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #5,781 of 10,535

if you do it work, the channels will be reversed. If that is not an issue for you, then it doesn't matter. If you care, this might help:

Stereo Audio Test (Left, Right)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJ0dvAl98k

Find a song that you know well where a certain track is on the left channel and another on the right. Rewire the cable and then match up the connectors so the music is correct then mark them so you know the next time. It does not matter so much since you can figure it out. It does matter if you reverse the hot and ground so hopefully that will not be an issue for you.  Personally I use Sirius by The Alan Parsons Project.

Thank you so much. I now understood how to figure out left and right side. I will order parts and try to give a go. :)

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5,782 of 10,535

Thank you so much. I now understood how to figure out left and right side. I will order parts and try to give a go. :)

Now if you happen to have the Harvest album that oftentimes came with the Pono, lead guitar is on the right channel on "Old Man" and bass is on the left as I recall.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,783 of 10,535
Is there an easy way to write on heatshrink?  If I wanted to put an arrow or something on it?  I only have black heatshrink.  Is there a specific silver metallic sharpie that works?  I think I've seen some brands do that.  Or can you only write on white heatshrink?

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #5,784 of 10,535
  Is there an easy way to write on heatshrink?  If I wanted to put an arrow or something on it?  I only have black heatshrink.  Is there a specific silver metallic sharpie that works?  I think I've seen some brands do that.  Or can you only write on white heatshrink?

I would shrink it in pale first, then draw the arrow. A silver sharpie should work. Let us know. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #5,785 of 10,535

I generally use silver or white model paint and a very fine brush but then I crest arrows and have the stuff laying around. A little clear lacquer over the top and it is fairly permanent. I am generally doing the arrows on RCA interconnect cables myself.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #5,786 of 10,535
Also, you might get some clear heatshrink wrap, apply the black, draw/paint on it, then shrink the clear over it.

On a different not, I picked-up some nice wood beads that I want to use at the Y connector on the HP cables. Do folks use a hot glue gun and just squirt in the glue into the bead to hold it in place until the glue sets?

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #5,787 of 10,535
  Also, you might get some clear shirk wrap. Shrink the black, draw/paint on it, then shrink the clear over it.

On a different not, I picked-up some nice wood beads that I want to use at the Y connector on the HP cables. Do folks use a hot glue gun and just squirt in the glue into the bead to hold it in place until the glue sets?

I certainly hope when you folks search for heat shrink tubing you do not call it shrink wrap, you might end up with a product intended for food preservation.
wink_face.gif

Hot glue can work but I generally try to avoid it in this situation. It sounds like you have wooden beads with just one channel drilled into them instead of a "Y" bead where two channels go to one. In that situation the use of a rubber grommet is the method I prefer. You need to find one that is the proper size of course but once in place they are hidden and you can remove the bead without doing damage if you ever so desire. Done properly you do not run the risk of making a mess (as you might with hot glue) if you are using fabric or mesh around the wires. You want to locate a grommet that is tapered, (conical in shape) see photo. The grommets shown are 45 mm long and as you can probably tell by looking at them, you can cut the desired length. They are approximately 5-12 mm outside diameter with a 4 mm cable opening. When installed the grommet holds the bead in place, is not visible, and can be removed. They are available with different size cable openings and I buy them in black, red, and blue 500 at a time. The outside can be trimmed to insure a proper fit and it is wise to practice a little before making the final assembly. They are quite flexible and make for a more professional appearance, you only need a piece around a quarter inch long inserted small end first into the bead. If you are only doing a couple beads here and there pm me and I will try to send you a handful gratis. In the photo the grommets are used to designate left and right channels and to provide strain relief but they are more commonly used between cable and head shells to secure the cable. Since it is being used just to hold the bead in place, you can even slit the grommet and slide it over the cable and then force it into the bead with long nose pliers.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #5,788 of 10,535
Guys what cables to buy for recabling?
(I want 3.5mm Amphenol KS3PC-AU cuz it looks cool :D)
My picks till now:
Sonoleone 3014 and Starquad l-4e5c.

Headphones: Creative Aurvana Live

PS: I live in Europe so dont recommend cables that are only in USA
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #5,789 of 10,535
  Guys what cables to buy for recabling?
(I want 3.5mm Amphenol KS3PC-AU cuz it looks cool :D)
My picks till now:
Sonoleone 3014 and Starquad l-4e5c.

Headphones: Creative Aurvana Live

PS: I live in Europe so dont recommend cables that are only in USA
frown.gif

I use the Amphenol connectors on a daily basis and they are quite good, as is the Canare star quad. I do not recognize the Sonoleone but the others are very good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back