DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 22, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #5,236 of 10,535
May 22, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #5,237 of 10,535
If you're looking to invest in a good soldering iron, I would get the Hakko FX888D. It's about $100 and is great. Heats up extremely quickly (under 30 seconds normally) and has a nice cable on the soldering iron which is extremely nice. 
It's what I use. 

This is what I use too. It's very good.

May 23, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #5,241 of 10,535
  Well I mean can't go wrong with that $15 dollar soldering iron from fry's :^>

Actually, for a little more than $15 you can do better. Sure, the Hakko's are very nice, but you still want variable temp control. For low end, I recommend Stahl Tools SSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station. $26 from Amazon. This is what I use, although with Father's Day approaching, I might add the Hakko to my with list :)

May 23, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,242 of 10,535
Oh, HAKKO FX-888D on sale at Fry's for $79.99 Shipping, for me, is $6, so a better price than amazon. 

http://www.frys.com/product/7550776?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

May 23, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #5,243 of 10,535
At work I use $3000 solder stations, but the FX888D is so good I never feel like I'm sluming it at home.

May 23, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #5,244 of 10,535
Stahl SSVT here 17.95 from parts express 5 for shipping and another 6 for assorted tips . I tend to use the small chisel bit the most.

May 23, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #5,245 of 10,535
  PanaVise. I just got one, and I love it. Way better than Helping Hands clips. There are two that I can recommend; the 201 and the 301. I have the 301.

301. $54.99 MSRP, but commonly goes for $34

201. MSRP $29.99, but commonly goes for $25 on amazon. Also, seems to include the Speed Control Handle in the box

There sell a number of bases for these, but I just used an old piece of wood. Some suggest using a plastic cutting board.

At any rate, the PanaVise combined with helping hands is very useful. 

I've been using these for 20+ years......
biggrin.gif

Just KIDDING.

May 24, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #5,247 of 10,535
I am planning to make my first DIY cable in the near future, and need some advice.

I will start with a rather "easy" one, a pair of RCA interconnects.

First, the Parts i want to use:

Connectors: http://www.furutech.com/2013/01/26/1037/

Wires:           Mogami 2806  (hard to get in Austria) http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/console/
   Alternative:  http://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cables/Bulk-Cables-Audio/Mikrofonkabel-Club-Series-MKII-200-0051.html

I will use only the inner strands of both wires, i plan to do either 6 or 8-wire braid.

And now for the questions :)

If i use a braided cable, how many of the conductors will be used as signal and how many as ground?
For Headphone cables i have read to use the same amount for signal and ground, does this also apply here?

Will there be mayor problems with EMI due to the lack of a shield?
The cables will be roughly 30cm in length, just fyi.

Next about sleeving, i know that if i want to sleeve the whole cable i can use paracord 550, techflex nylon, shoelaces etc.
I think i can handle how to use them, will be try and error, but not much unknown stuff i hope.

What is more of a mystery is how to sleeve the individual conductors before braiding.
All i found that might fit is Paracord 100 (~1,7mm dia) or 90 (~1,2mm dia), depending on size of the conductors.
The Sommer has 1,5mm dia, so it should fit the para 100, but the Mogami has 1,9mm dia, and the next bigger paracord is 3mm dia.
Any suggestions on what could be used (besides a smaller cunductor, duh :p )

And, how the hell am i supposed to get the single wires through the paracord?
Both are very flexible i imagine, any tips/tricks on how to do this?

And if you have any other information that comes with experience please feel free to add, i guess i will need every help i can get :-D

Anyone got some answers to my questions?
Most important would be EMI, wire distribution and sleeving of single wires :)

May 24, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #5,248 of 10,535
Anyone got some answers to my questions?
Most important would be EMI, wire distribution and sleeving of single wires :)

Generally I do 1 wire per signal (R and L) and 2 for ground. For RCAs, that's not entirely necessary. You can do 1 for the signal and 1 for ground for each side. 6 or 8 strand RCAs are going to look great, but I see a problem getting all of those wires inside the barrel.

EMI will be negligible at the signals that will be traveling through interconnects at the distances you'd be using them. Much more important to have strong solder joints.

Sleeving is just inching it through. It takes practice to be able to do it, but it is possible.

May 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #5,249 of 10,535
Generally I do 1 wire per signal (R and L) and 2 for ground. For RCAs, that's not entirely necessary. You can do 1 for the signal and 1 for ground for each side. 6 or 8 strand RCAs are going to look great, but I see a problem getting all of those wires inside the barrel.

EMI will be negligible at the signals that will be traveling through interconnects at the distances you'd be using them. Much more important to have strong solder joints.

Sleeving is just inching it through. It takes practice to be able to do it, but it is possible.

Thank you very much for the answer!

Regarding fitting an 8 or 6 braid, the furutech plugs can take cables up to ~8mm diameter.
If i get the mogami, one wire has 1.9mm dia, so a 6 braid should have approx 8mm on its thickest area if i am not mistaken, so it should fit right?
Or do you mean it will be hard to solder all those wires because of limited space inside the plug?

May 24, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #5,250 of 10,535
Thank you very much for the answer!

Regarding fitting an 8 or 6 braid, the furutech plugs can take cables up to ~8mm diameter.
If i get the mogami, one wire has 1.9mm dia, so a 6 braid should have approx 8mm on its thickest area if i am not mistaken, so it should fit right?
Or do you mean it will be hard to solder all those wires because of limited space inside the plug?

A bit of both.

Don't forget, if you're sleeving the Mogami wire, you'll have to account for the sleeving diameter as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back