DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #4,906 of 10,535
repost x4
Reposting this here from a lot of threads:
Figured I'd ask here.
I gotta recable my Grado SR325i, never done this before, but I did desolder one cup.|

Here's a list of what I plan to get:
[COLOR=660000]Mogami W2534[/COLOR] 7 ft
[COLOR=421818]Rean Neutrik NYS228G[/COLOR]

What else do I need? Heat shrink, right? I have a soldering iron and stuff.

Also when it comes to the y-point do I strip the tubes and just combine the wires?

Never done this before, so I'm a bit unsure of how to go about doing this.

Thanks!

Mogami 2534 might be a little stiff, but it will work. I use 2893 or 2799 (literally the same except for some added shielding, which I remove anyway)

If you're going to strip the outer shielding off of the cable, do it before you start, and label both ends of at least 1 of the wires you want to go to the L/R (2534 has 2 blue and 2 clear-ish wires, for the sake of this post, I will assume clear for signal and blue for ground, label both sides of one of the clear, again for the sake of this post I will call this the Left Signal wire)

I normally braid first, solder second. Braid all but however long you want your Y-Split length to be, you can put a bit of heatshrink, hot glue, whatever at the Y-Split if you want (some don't, if you do it right the wires will hold together from what I've read).

Take your left signal and one of the blue wires and twist them around eachother (example of what I'm talking about on the LCDs here) Do the same with the other pair.

Solder your left signal wire to the left headphone speaker on the signal side, the blue wire in that group on the ground side. Do the same for the Right.

On the plug side, solder the Left Signal wire to the Tip , the Right Signal to the Ring, and twist the 2 other wires together and solder to the sleeve. Make sure you put the collar for the plug on the wires before you solder them so you can screw it in when you're done.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #4,907 of 10,535
thank you!
I would like to keep most of the sleeving on possibly, but this was really helpful. Hopefully soon my 325s will be back to working order rather than in shambles soon enough.

Just ordered a plug and the mogami off of redco.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #4,908 of 10,535
Hey guys, need a bit of help.
I want to order all materials for my first DIY cable the next days and have a quastion.

Can anyone give me rough estimates on how much length i lose with braiding?
I will use 4 pieces of 26AWG wires for my cables, haven´t settled on round or flat braid yet.

I want it to be ~ 1,5m after braiding, how long should one wire be before the braid?

And for the future, will i lose different amounts for round or flat braid, and for 6 or 8 braid?

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #4,909 of 10,535
  Hey guys, need a bit of help.
I want to order all materials for my first DIY cable the next days and have a quastion.

Can anyone give me rough estimates on how much length i lose with braiding?
I will use 4 pieces of 26AWG wires for my cables, haven´t settled on round or flat braid yet.

I want it to be ~ 1,5m after braiding, how long should one wire be before the braid?

And for the future, will i lose different amounts for round or flat braid, and for 6 or 8 braid?

I try to do a tight round braid, with 275lb paracord and 21AWG (Canare Quad Star) its roughly 1inch per foot. It'll probably be less with thinner 26AWG wire

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #4,910 of 10,535

I try to do a tight round braid, with 275lb paracord and 21AWG (Canare Quad Star) its roughly 1inch per foot. It'll probably be less with thinner 26AWG wire

Thanks for your answer.

I guess i will be generous and add 10% to be safe and see how it comes out.

One more question on the soldering part, i read a lot about the Quad Eutectic Solder being used.
From what i see it costs roughly 3x what normal stuff costs.

I am a little unsure if there even is a sonic difference, and if there is if it is overkill when i work with sub 40$ parts for a cable.

What are you guys here working with and whats your opinion on that matter?

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #4,911 of 10,535
I use the quad stuff for the iPhone to DAC cables I make for EBay, they're digital so there's no 'sonic' benefit but the quad stuff is the easiest to work with. Saves me a lot of time and effort.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,912 of 10,535

Thanks for your answer.

I guess i will be generous and add 10% to be safe and see how it comes out.

One more question on the soldering part, i read a lot about the Quad Eutectic Solder being used.
From what i see it costs roughly 3x what normal stuff costs.

I am a little unsure if there even is a sonic difference, and if there is if it is overkill when i work with sub 40$ parts for a cable.

What are you guys here working with and whats your opinion on that matter?

I dont actually think it makes a difference with well built cables. Probably bad for business but ya...theyre all good heh. I should get them measured for fun

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #4,914 of 10,535
  Looking for info on where to buy connectors that will fit JH13Pro CIEMS.  This thread is getting a bit long in the tooth to pick through for the information.

Do they look like these LINK.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #4,916 of 10,535
Mar 2, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #4,917 of 10,535
So This. This might be the same not sure LINK.

I've got some of those I ordered a few weeks ago. Haven't gotten around to making a cable with them. I think I'm going to save those for some Silver + Gold Litz and fashion a cable for the Custom Solars I have coming my way. :D

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #4,918 of 10,535
I've got some of those I ordered a few weeks ago. Haven't gotten around to making a cable with them. I think I'm going to save those for some Silver + Gold Litz and fashion a cable for the Custom Solars I have coming my way.
biggrin.gif

Which one the Eidolics?

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #4,919 of 10,535
Yeah, the ones you linked to, from Norne, even.

They look very good.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #4,920 of 10,535
Norne is a great place for Eidolic connectors.There shipping is sooo much better than DHC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back