DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #4,861 of 10,535
The sennheiser HD598 and momentum 2.0 use the same locking connector right? Anyone know of a US seller for the connector?

You can also buy it on ebay, it will just take a while to reach you.http://m.ebay.com/itm/Male-Repair-Headphone-Jack-Plug-Audio-Soldering-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-/161346832260?nav=SEARCH

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #4,862 of 10,535
  i've already test some cables combination (silver coated copper with pure copper). and for vocal i think best combination is pure copper for signal, silver coated for ground. And for detail and musical characteristics, i prefer silver coated for signal, and pure copper for ground. 
second combination also gave wider soundstage i think.

Thanks for sharing your impressions now I'm inspired to do the same ( matur nuwun mas)

I would hope that anyone that who DIY cable also share not only the fabulous looking cables...Coz they are, but also a bit of how they actually sound. I'd like to know if a certain type of conductor really is making an audible difference ie. warm, bright, details, sound stage, depth and so on

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #4,863 of 10,535
Is there any benefit to building balanced cables for my powered speakers (Airmotiv s4)? Or is that only really beneficial to headphones?

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #4,865 of 10,535
I meant balanced for speakers in general.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #4,866 of 10,535

Thanks for sharing your impressions now I'm inspired to do the same ( matur nuwun mas)

I would hope that anyone that who DIY cable also share not only the fabulous looking cables...Coz they are, but also a bit of how they actually sound. I'd like to know if a certain type of conductor really is making an audible difference ie. warm, bright, details, sound stage, depth and so on

lhoh... :xf_eek: ...who's this?? from aud-id or kerhor too?? (sami2 om... :p )

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #4,867 of 10,535

Sorry, I'm new around here, should I start a separate thread for this?

You may want to make a dedicated thread for this one, or check an electrical engineering forum, judging by the schematic it almost looks like this is a proprietary connection? Is that a switch in one of the pins to activate the PA? If so that looks like it needs to be powered in order to work and using a 3 pin TRS connector likely won't activate the system.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,868 of 10,535
  i've already test some cables combination (silver coated copper with pure copper). and for vocal i think best combination is pure copper for signal, silver coated for ground. And for detail and musical characteristics, i prefer silver coated for signal, and pure copper for ground. 
second combination also gave wider soundstage i think.

Youre able to measure differences? 

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #4,869 of 10,535
I'll be building my first cables next week and I plan on doing a test of the electrical properties of common high end cable stock. I have varying gauges of pure copper, silver plated copper, high grade OCC copper and standard grade OCC copper. I'll be testing different braid techniques, as well as multiwire and parallel wiring setups. My equipment is limited, but I'll have both my mechanical engineer friend as well as my electrical engineer friend take a look at my testing setup and see if I'm making any mistakes. I don't have any of the highly sensitive equipment needed to test acoustic properties, but I do have a few scopes and meters for different properties of the current passing through each wire. I'll let you all know in about 2 weeks what I come up with data wise, as well as what my own subjective listening impressions of each setup with a reference HD600.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #4,870 of 10,535
  I'll be building my first cables next week and I plan on doing a test of the electrical properties of common high end cable stock. I have varying gauges of pure copper, silver plated copper, high grade OCC copper and standard grade OCC copper. I'll be testing different braid techniques, as well as multiwire and parallel wiring setups. My equipment is limited, but I'll have both my mechanical engineer friend as well as my electrical engineer friend take a look at my testing setup and see if I'm making any mistakes. I don't have any of the highly sensitive equipment needed to test acoustic properties, but I do have a few scopes and meters for different properties of the current passing through each wire. I'll let you all know in about 2 weeks what I come up with data wise, as well as what my own subjective listening impressions of each setup with a reference HD600.

I look forward to your conclusions. As you and most people, I don't have the sophisticated testing equipment. However, I'm much more interested in what you, just a regular person, has to say that someone with multi-million dollar testing equipment says.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #4,871 of 10,535
Does anyone know where connectors for the Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI can be found? They're locking 3.5mm and they seem proprietary. If anyone knows I would really appreciate the info, I've been hunting like mad. 

Thanks

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #4,872 of 10,535
So what is the trick to "taping the end" of your wire when running it through paracord? I'm not having much luck with that.

I also tried the "bend the end of the wire into an arrow" technique. The shielding didn't crimp tight enough, making too much bulk for the Type 1 paracord to run over it. Maybe I should strip the end and just bend the naked wire?

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #4,873 of 10,535
So what is the trick to "taping the end" of your wire when running it through paracord? I'm not having much luck with that.

I also tried the "bend the end of the wire into an arrow" technique. The shielding didn't crimp tight enough, making too much bulk for the Type 1 paracord to run over it. Maybe I should strip the end and just bend the naked wire?

You are probably over thinking it. It is literally just wrap a bit of teflon tape over  the ends of the wire. I use just some cheap stuff I picked up from Harbor Freight Tools. You can use any teflon tape found in the plumbing section of local hardware stores. You see the end covered in white? That is the end of an unstripped mogami 2799 where I have "taped the end" with teflon about 0.5 to 0.75 inches down the wire. I did the same thing with the stripped out conductors from this Mogami. I was able to easily thread the individual conductors (with their insulations) through Type 1 (#95) paracord as seen in the balanced cables I made for HE560s (I still suck at braiding as I botched 2 sections and didn't notice until weeks later). 4 individually sheathed cables with the standard 4-strand round braid from the Neutrik. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #4,874 of 10,535
Lovely work.

I just moments ago stripped the end by half an inch and folded the naked wire back, creating a nice smooth, rounded head.

HOLY HELL!

That made the process SO easy.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #4,875 of 10,535
How difficult is it to change an XLR female to banana plugs? I have an aftermarket cable for my HE-6 terminated in XLR and the cable maker is asking for $130 for an XLR to banana plug adapter for the same cable. The price sounds completely absurd to me so I'd like to give this a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back