DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #4,711 of 10,535
  Thanks for the informative reply mate! So then, how do people do a 6 strand Inter-Connect Cable?

Well, if it's a mini-mini cable, 2 for Left, 2 for Right and 2 for Ground. For RCA-RCA 3 each, and for XLR 2 for + 2 for - and 2 for Ground.

Any combination works really, there are no set rules. I've seen crazy cables that had a 20awg ground and a single 30awg signal line. That's more than 3x fatter ground than signal and can handle 6x the current.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #4,712 of 10,535
I have no idea on that. Mostly the more strands mean more flexible wire. I would think 10 strands would be kinda stiff but not too crazy. I've wanting to try some Litz cables but the wire is expensive. Still might try some just to see if there is a difference . 

What do you use most for headphone cable?

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #4,713 of 10,535
Amphenol is my second pick. Not a lot of detail on the Yarbo to see how they are assembled.

I do like the ACPR plugs from Amphenol as they can be had in numerous colors and are afordable.

Any preference on cable?

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #4,714 of 10,535
Just my opinion, I like 26awg stranded wire (7 or 19 strands is what I usually buy, and stiffness of the cable depends much more on the coating than anything else). I buy large spools once and they last me for years for every possible project.

Just do a google image search for "Yarbo RCA" to see how they're assembled.

http://www.aliexpress.com has a very good selection of RCAs as well, TONS actually, lots of Yarbo. I think I'll order from them from now on as their selection is just huge and lots offer free shipping.

Wire preference is determined by application, so lots to choose from. Most recently, I've switched to using fairly thick solid-core wire for interconnects and 24-26awg stranded wire for headphones.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #4,715 of 10,535
What do you use most for headphone cable?

I have used lots of different wire. Double Helix has some really nice wire as does BTG Audio. I won't get into which is better that is a deep hole to climb out of and I won't go there. I like to do hybrid cables silver plate and plain copper. The reason why is I made a rca interconnect cable for my two channel setup and the silver plate was so much better than my Monster Cable interconnects but lost a little bass. Putting some OCC wire back in gave it back. I am going to try some solid silver for some interconnects soon but for now I might try some silver stranded for headphones. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #4,716 of 10,535
I decided to buy the 24 AWG stranded OCC from Double Helix. It seemed like a good idea, since I was also buying my mini-XLR and Eidolic XLR connectors from them.

I'm also going to try parachord this time. I've got some nice colors coming from Amazon. Type 1. Should make a lovely braid.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #4,717 of 10,535
I have used lots of different wire. Double Helix has some really nice wire as does BTG Audio. I won't get into which is better that is a deep hole to climb out of and I won't go there. I like to do hybrid cables silver plate and plain copper. The reason why is I made a rca interconnect cable for my two channel setup and the silver plate was so much better than my Monster Cable interconnects but lost a little bass. Putting some OCC wire back in gave it back. I am going to try some solid silver for some interconnects soon but for now I might try some silver stranded for headphones. 

I didn't think Double Helix solid silver-plated OCC copper. I know they do for their cables, but not as raw wire. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #4,718 of 10,535
I didn't think Double Helix solid silver-plated OCC copper. I know they do for their cables, but not as raw wire. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

No they don't as far as I know.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #4,719 of 10,535
I decided to buy the 24 AWG stranded OCC from Double Helix. It seemed like a good idea, since I was also buying my mini-XLR and Eidolic XLR connectors from them.

I'm also going to try parachord this time. I've got some nice colors coming from Amazon. Type 1. Should make a lovely braid.

Yes your right to buy many things from him as his shipping price is a little too much for a single item. I don't know about the DHC v3 wire but the wire I bought from him was nice stuff. Got to be quick on soldering as the cover will draw back and melt quick. I love the Eidolic stuff it is just so good looking.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #4,720 of 10,535
  Amphenol is my second pick. Not a lot of detail on the Yarbo to see how they are assembled.

I do like the ACPR plugs from Amphenol as they can be had in numerous colors and are afordable.

Any preference on cable?

I got these on eBay a bit ago. There are monster sturdy and the locking feature will hold up a house they are that tight. I paid like $60 for 20 of them from China (they might be fakes I don't know but they are super strong). They also have a .359" opening for a cable that is 9mm and that is huge. They sound good to me but YMMV.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #4,721 of 10,535

Well, if it's a mini-mini cable, 2 for Left, 2 for Right and 2 for Ground. For RCA-RCA 3 each, and for XLR 2 for + 2 for - and 2 for Ground.

Any combination works really, there are no set rules. I've seen crazy cables that had a 20awg ground and a single 30awg signal line. That's more than 3x fatter ground than signal and can handle 6x the current.

Thank-you once again for the informative reply mate!

One last question (hopefully), can I use a mix of copper and silver plated wires for my interconnect? 
If I can, is there a set of rules saying that one should use silver plated for R and L,copper for G?
Or can I just go crazy and 2 Silver, 2 Copper for G, and 1 Silver, 1 Copper for both L and R?

Thank-you

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #4,722 of 10,535
What is the preferred slider for use over Paracord with CIEMs?

I just made my first cable and didn't even think about the slider option. I like having them cinched pretty securely.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #4,723 of 10,535
Thank-you once again for the informative reply mate!

One last question (hopefully), can I use a mix of copper and silver plated wires for my interconnect? 
If I can, is there a set of rules saying that one should use silver plated for R and L,copper for G?

Or can I just go crazy and 2 Silver, 2 Copper for G, and 1 Silver, 1 Copper for both L and R?

Thank-you

No set rules at all buddy, go nuts, have a good time with it. Post pics when you're done though.

To really drill it how little rules there are, you could take the highest purity cast 26awg silver wire sleeved in Egyptian silk, wrapped around cotton with Teflon dialectic for signal wire and stick a coat hanger through the whole thing as the ground and it'll still work.

I've actually made a cable like that, the coat hanger was just some fairly thick copper wire, and it was very fun to build and sounded great. Difficult but very fun.

Applicable to audio, don't try this in engineering class or high voltage work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back