DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 27, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #2,431 of 10,535
I got the ones from redco and I regret it, the neutrik rean ones seem better and easier to work with.  My headphone came with some cables using neutrik rean and they feel more metally

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2,434 of 10,535
  I got the ones from redco and I regret it...

I ordered a pair of plugs and sockets the other day. Whats wrong with the Redco versions? Don't tell me they are total junk like some of the Lunashops connectors... 
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,435 of 10,535
The Redco mini-xlr connectors are the Switchcraft brand (TA4B etc.). They're good connectors and inexpensive. The best I've used so far are the Furutech. Pricey, but very very nice.

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,436 of 10,535
  So your K702 wiring is not reversed?The Q701 is reversed wiring.

No it is, so I had to rewire it since I looked at the 'normal' schematic when I first soldered it.  I already knew what I had to do and still did it wrong, lol

Here are some pictures of the Rean mini-XLR connector being soldered.  It should give anyone an idea what the connector is like, plus I want to show off my build 
tongue.gif

The hardest part of all this was probably soldering on the ground ring.  Fortunately the documentation says it is optional so you dont need to put it on.  I manipulated it too much when I tried to solder it on yesterday, and it wouldnt fit into the housing.

I had to cut the rubber connector/strain relief that screws into the outside of the connector since the hole was too small for the wire.  Of course this is not shown since I added my own strain relief via heat shrink tubing.

And my first cable is finally complete and in proper working order! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,438 of 10,535

So your K702 wiring is not reversed?The Q701 is reversed wiring.

No it is, so I had to rewire it since I looked at the 'normal' schematic when I first soldered it.  I already knew what I had to do and still did it wrong, lol

Here are some pictures of the Rean mini-XLR connector being soldered.  It should give anyone an idea what the connector is like, plus I want to show off my build 
tongue.gif

The hardest part of all this was probably soldering on the ground ring.  Fortunately the documentation says it is optional so you dont need to put it on.  I manipulated it too much when I tried to solder it on yesterday, and it wouldnt fit into the housing.

I had to cut the rubber connector/strain relief that screws into the outside of the connector since the hole was too small for the wire.  Of course this is not shown since I added my own strain relief via heat shrink tubing.

And my first cable is finally complete and in proper working order! 
bigsmile_face.gif

When i did mine for the Q701 i stripped off the insulator and the shield leaving just the four conductors twisted then i sleeved it with a paracord so the heatshrink will fit nicely inside the barrel no heatshrink visible from out side.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,439 of 10,535
  I ordered a pair of plugs and sockets the other day. Whats wrong with the Redco versions? Don't tell me they are total junk like some of the Lunashops connectors... 
frown.gif

I've only used the Redco 3-pin mini XLR plug, but I had no problem with it.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #2,441 of 10,535
Trolldragon I posted pics in this thread showing my assembly of the redco. They are OK and I think the same as switch craft but neutrik look nicer for sure and have the neutrik plastic clamp thing for strain relief I insulation and use more metal

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #2,442 of 10,535
Trolldragon I posted pics in this thread showing my assembly of the redco. They are OK and I think the same as switch craft but neutrik look nicer for sure and have the neutrik plastic clamp thing for strain relief I insulation and use more metal

Yes that's right I remember your build, that poor blistered finger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back