DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 9, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #2,326 of 10,535
  I'm not sure really. There probably isn't. If anyone can comment on this, let me know so I can stop paying this crazy brand name inflicted inflation. 
rolleyes.gif

I'm a Plus Sound Audio fan boy for their DIY headphone cryo cables though....
beyersmile.png

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #2,327 of 10,535
They have great stuff, but when I buy wire I go through BTG. PlusSound's is much more expensive and Brian's stuff is equally good for much less money. I'm not interested in the Litz stuff or anything special, I just buy good wire for the flexibility. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #2,328 of 10,535
They have great stuff, but when I buy wire I go through BTG. PlusSound's is much more expensive and Brian's stuff is equally good for much less money. I'm not interested in the Litz stuff or anything special, I just buy good wire for the flexibility. 

Isn't btg ofc cables? Ofc are cheaper than occ or upocc.

Mogami quad cables are also ofc and its 4 times cheaper than btg..since you get 4 wires for $.80-$1 per ft.

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #2,329 of 10,535
Isn't btg ofc cables? Ofc are cheaper than occ or upocc.

Mogami quad cables are also ofc and its 4 times cheaper than btg..since you get 4 wires for $.80-$1 per ft.

Yep you're right, I buy loads of w2893 but BTG's XPLE 24awg wire is more flexible than the internal wires of the Mogami. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #2,330 of 10,535
With DIY cables I just buy best I can, as it works out the same as a ready-made OFC cable etc. Probably a minute sound difference but I'd always wonder what the next cable grade up would sound like...
blink.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #2,331 of 10,535
I bought ofc, occ and upocc.
To me I can't tell the difference so mogami is enough for me. :)

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2,332 of 10,535
I have some 140/44 silk served litz on the way, it should be a nice flexible cable.

Going to try the Lemo plug on the T50RP's out to that sweet Toxic Cable 1/4" plug.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,335 of 10,535
I'm planning to mod cable a new Senn HD800.  I've got some basic questions and will appreciate any help that will keep me out of the ditch on this project . . .

What does nylon mesh sleeve size really mean?  If it is described as 1/2 inch is that a minimum, maximum, or average size?  Theoretically, if I had a 3/8" bundle of wires would It be better to get 1/4" and size up or get 1/2" and size it down?  

Any problem using 4 x 18 AWG wire for headphone cable?  (Yes, it's solid silver and bloody expensive but I plan to keep the insulation fairly stiff to minimize bending.)

Does anyone have experience with FEP Spaghetti Tubing?  I'm wondering if thin wall or light wall tubing will collapse when bent?   Is standard wall 1/32" too stiff when bundled X 4?

Is there a good source for things like solid Y sleeves, rubber transition sleeves, other supplies & equipment?

Well, that's the plan,  any advice will be greatly appreciated . . .

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,336 of 10,535
1) That's usually nominal ID so it'll fit over a diameter of that size. Some sleeving is expandable and fits a much larger size others don't.

2) Yes 18AWG is far too large for headphone cable, solid wire will make that a headphone stand and not a cable. You'll either damage the connector on your amp or the connectors on your headphones, also there is no way 18AWG solid or stranded will fit in the custom Lemo connectors Sennheiser uses.

3) Thin tubing will collapse if not properly installed, FEP is also pretty stiff unless it's incredibly thing like the insulation on wire. It wouldn't be a good part to use in a headphone cable.

4) There are a few, mostly import and overpriced stuff usually.

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #2,337 of 10,535
I have searched for a little bit now trying to find a how-to on making a line-out interconnect (30 pin), but can't find anything. What goes into making one? I know I've seen somewhere that there are resistors (?) in the build?

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2,338 of 10,535
Right here good sir, iPods are included there as well with resistance values.
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/iPhone_connector_pinout.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back