DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 3, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,323 of 10,535
That sounds like a much more serious problem. Maybe a single strand of a wire shorted across the signal pins in the connector.

There's definitely something wrong with the cable.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,324 of 10,535
  It's actually happening in my earbuds in the cables I made right now =\

Youve got some other problem there. You have a short somewhere, either in the connectors or somewhere else in the cable, like a break or something. Audio can not just "leak" in these type of low current applications. Its something you or someone else did incorrectly or poorly in the construction of the cable.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,326 of 10,535

Youve got some other problem there. You have a short somewhere, either in the connectors or somewhere else in the cable, like a break or something. Audio can not just "leak" in these type of low current applications. Its something you or someone else did incorrectly or poorly in the construction of the cable.

But I've even tried connecting everything to only 4 separate wires, and made sure there were no shorts there.  Could it somehow be the plug?  It can't be the headphone connectors, as those are connected in no way except to the respective side's + and - wires.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,328 of 10,535
Can someone please link me to all the parts I require to make my own headphone cable from UK stores. I have a pair of Grado SR325i and sound no longer works. I have no idea about specific sizes and types of cable needed, I just want something equal or better than stock since my no longer works. I know they are soldered on and have a soldering iron ready.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,329 of 10,535
  Can someone please link me to all the parts I require to make my own headphone cable from UK stores. I have a pair of Grado SR325i and sound no longer works. I have no idea about specific sizes and types of cable needed, I just want something equal or better than stock since my no longer works. I know they are soldered on and have a soldering iron ready.

Read through the thread. All the links and more are here.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #1,330 of 10,535
I'm interested in recabling a pair of IEM's. Where can I get a wire and housing for the wire? If it helps at all I'm planning to mod the TCM-125's which are not an expensive IEM, so I'm trying to keep the budget down on equipment. I also need a new soldering iron, if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #1,331 of 10,535
The OP has a wealth of information on wire, soldering equipment and connectors.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,332 of 10,535
Why do the many WBT style RCA connectors have threading where the wires come out? Is there some kind of insert you can get that screws in there or something?

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,335 of 10,535
The best reply from the Steve Hoffman forums...

I personally prefer oxidized copper stripped out of 1950s vintage lamp cord, the kind where the rubber coating has hardened. Gives a less "digital" sound. 
color]

I'd like to have some of their caps though...

Or better yet, some Duelund cast cap's...

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back