DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,291 of 10,535
Precisely!!!
This is a thread in the DIY section after all.
If you take the I & the Y away, all you're left with is the D.

Are you only pointing that out because you want the D?

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #1,292 of 10,535
Good day guys.
I own a pair of Harman Kardon's NC.
I would like to make DIY balanced cable for them. I guess the improvement for these headphones won't be tremendous, but at I'm building a DIY amp also, even if I have a dedicated one, but I want to learn stuff, hence the cables.
My main issues with these headphones are:
- The headphone has only 1 cable: 2.5 mm(3/32 in) jack at headphone input and 3.5 mm(1/8 in) jack at source output. This means that I need only twisted cable, with 2 signal cables and 1 ground, right?
- Is there a 2.5 mm TRS connector? I found sth on Wiki, but it's a little vague. Or should I get a 3.5 mm TRS connector and a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter?
- My main source is 1/8 in output, but my amp is 1/4 in. Also I've read that some amps have XLR output. Having that in mind, do you think it's best to have the other end of the cable XLR with 1/8 and 1/4 adapters for different equipment? I realize it's gonna be bulky, but then again, people look at me weird when I have the simple NCs, a little big XLR connection won't bring extra attention.

Thank you for your help.
Kind regards.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,293 of 10,535
Good day guys.
I own a pair of Harman Kardon's NC.
I would like to make DIY balanced cable for them. I guess the improvement for these headphones won't be tremendous, but at I'm building a DIY amp also, even if I have a dedicated one, but I want to learn stuff, hence the cables.
My main issues with these headphones are:
- The headphone has only 1 cable: 2.5 mm(3/32 in) jack at headphone input and 3.5 mm(1/8 in) jack at source output. This means that I need only twisted cable, with 2 signal cables and 1 ground, right?
- Is there a 2.5 mm TRS connector? I found sth on Wiki, but it's a little vague. Or should I get a 3.5 mm TRS connector and a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter?
- My main source is 1/8 in output, but my amp is 1/4 in. Also I've read that some amps have XLR output. Having that in mind, do you think it's best to have the other end of the cable XLR with 1/8 and 1/4 adapters for different equipment? I realize it's gonna be bulky, but then again, people look at me weird when I have the simple NCs, a little big XLR connection won't bring extra attention.

Thank you for your help.
Kind regards.

Try mini xlr. And then have an adapter for eighth quarter and xlr plugs.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,294 of 10,535
Try mini xlr. And then have an adapter for eighth quarter and xlr plugs.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Ok, sounds good. But what to do with the 2.5 mm that goes into the headphone? I found a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter, but it says the headphone microphone won't work with it, which kinda sucks, though if I buy a dedicated source, it won't be a problem, but you never know when I'll use my phone. 
I guess it's a trade in, trading voice for higher audio quality.
I'll keep looking for a TRS 2.5 mm jack, see if there is one out there, if not, I'll prolly put a 3.5 or mini xlr and buy a good adapter to 2.5mm.
Sigh...

edit:
Nvm this, I've found on Mouser 2.5 mm and 3.5 mm TRS jacks. Yey!
Does anyone know if the microphone will work with these new jacks? Or I should get a 4 pin jack to connect the microphone wire also? I've never sliced such a cable to see what's under it.

After editing for 10 times and searching the web for 2 hours for a damn jack, I've realized that if I get a new cable it will not have microphone in it!!! I am dumb sometimes. But my question still stands, for the future, if I'll ever need this info.

edit2:
So after some research I've ended up understanding that 26 AWG is @0.25 sq mm. Can I use speaker cable for braiding? I found a website that offers either speaker cable from AWG 11 to AWG 26 or I can choose single core cable with AWG30/26/24. Which works best?

According to the image and my knowledge the 3.5 mm is TRRS. Does this mean my cable is balanced already? Or youc an have an unbalanced cable with TRS connectors?

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #1,295 of 10,535
I ordered some 26 AWG Mogami wire. Does Type I/micro paracord for individual 26 AWG and Type III/550 for 4*26 AWG braid seem right? I'd like to make two cables for starters: one with each wire sleeved and one where I just remove the shielding and use one sleeve up to the y-splitter. Also what would be the appropriate heat shrink size for 2*26 and 4*26 AWG respectively?

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,296 of 10,535
  According to the image and my knowledge the 3.5 mm is TRRS. Does this mean my cable is balanced already? Or youc an have an unbalanced cable with TRS connectors?

That 4th sleeve you see on the TRRS is for the remote and mike.  3.5mm / 2.5mm / 1/4" connectors are only unbalanced and unless you recable your headphone you can only get an unbalanced connection.  

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #1,297 of 10,535
Thinking of trying MMCX on my next mod. Does anyone know where to get MMCX female panel mount/bulkheads as well as male connections? Not having much luck on ebay.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,298 of 10,535
Digikey is great. We use them for as many of our components as possible at work. They've done well by us.

https://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/molex-mmcx-microminiature-rf-connectors/2545

Here's a bulkhead MMCX(f)

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv69=527&FV=fff40016%2Cfff8051a&k=MMCX&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #1,299 of 10,535
  Digikey is great. We use them for as many of our components as possible at work. They've done well by us.

https://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/molex-mmcx-microminiature-rf-connectors/2545

Here's a bulkhead MMCX(f)

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv69=527&FV=fff40016%2Cfff8051a&k=MMCX&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Awesome thanks. I was actually looking at this one, is the one you linked similar (no image).

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/262120/ACX2005-ND/3088390

What is the turn around time for digikey? They seem to have everything needed.

Ordered, stoked, can't wait. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,300 of 10,535
The one I linked was a panel mount with the nut on the backside so you only see a socket on the face of the panel and the thread and nut is behind. It also has a solid mounted center pin with a solder point on the back.

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,301 of 10,535
Not the best material but it's still good sounding! :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,303 of 10,535
It is the ones supplied with the amp :) But I got some new tubes coming my way, russian tubes :D

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,305 of 10,535
It is the ones supplied with the amp :) But I got some new tubes coming my way, russian tubes :D
I do love me some Soviet tubes! CCCP FTW. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back