DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #916 of 10,535
I know about using paracord, with duct tape and WD-40 you have everything. The thing is I have seen posts where people specifically say to use shoelace or rope for covering wires, I really have no idea why when there are many more better options.

The main reason is that there just aren't a lot of options for soft sleeving.  Techflex and all the other industrial sleevings were meant for durability and easy of identification.  Very few were made with aesthetics and ergonomics in mind.  I have gone ghetto and tried nearly everything that had a removeable core to see if I could get a nice looking AND nice feeling cable.  I hated the way Techflex felt.

For the most part if you want something nice and soft and are ok with only black, nylon multifilament is great since you can get it in any size you need.  Otherwise you can try your luck with paracord (I haven't found any that fits over a whole braid), or microparacord.  I discovered craft cord many years ago (which led to me finding and using microparacord), but craft cord doesn't seem to exist any more (too bad, as it was softer than microparacord).

Experimentation is what makes this hobby great.  There is a lot of me too going on, even with the pros, but it is those brave souls who try new, sometimes ghetto things that drive us all forward.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #917 of 10,535
I was taking them off my head when I felt the small cap pop. It didnt seem like it broke but as I set them down, it all came undone. I still have a replacement screw from the first time this happened a couple of years ago. I'm tempted to go with the long screw mod and save the good screws in case I ever want sell them...

Locktite>> the ugly screw mod. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #919 of 10,535

For the most part if you want something nice and soft and are ok with only black, nylon multifilament is great since you can get it in any size you need.  Otherwise you can try your luck with paracord (I haven't found any that fits over a whole braid), or microparacord.  I discovered craft cord many years ago (which led to me finding and using microparacord), but craft cord doesn't seem to exist any more (too bad, as it was softer than microparacord).

I'm interested in sheathing individual wires (22 - 26 awg) and braiding those - would you recommend microparacord for this process?

I'm very unsure about sizes - and am just getting started with some interconnects made this way so I'd love any input you could provide.  For example, would a 1/16" microparacord be alright for sheathing a 24 awg wire?

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #920 of 10,535
  I'm interested in sheathing individual wires (22 - 26 awg) and braiding those - would you recommend microparacord for this process?

I'm very unsure about sizes - and am just getting started with some interconnects made this way so I'd love any input you could provide.  For example, would a 1/16" microparacord be alright for sheathing a 24 awg wire?

Type 1 Paracord works great for sleeving individual wires.  Not sure about 22 AWG, but 24-26 work very well.  IMO, 26 AWG is the easiest to get into the paracord, but I've used 24 AWG (stripped Mogami 2534) with not a lot of trouble.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #921 of 10,535
  Type 1 Paracord works great for sleeving individual wires.  Not sure about 22 AWG, but 24-26 work very well.  IMO, 26 AWG is the easiest to get into the paracord, but I've used 24 AWG (stripped Mogami 2534) with not a lot of trouble.

Brilliant,

I'll definitely give that a shot - much obliged!

I'm doubting I'll be working with 22 awg all that often to begin with.  Looking forward to getting started on some of this - I've got a number of recabling & interconnect projects to dive into in the new year.  I'll be sure to post up some photos & words once I get a bit of experience under my belt!

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #922 of 10,535
Looking to make my first cable, been looking around trying to gather all info I need. But recommendations seems hard to find, so I'm just gonna ask
I want to make a silver cable for my HD650. They use to be around more a few years back but now they seems harder to find. 
Which silver wires do you guys like and where to get them? 
I've found some silver wires in Homegrown audio, VHaudio and Moon audio. Some claim to have their cable DIY made with toxin cable wires or other cable fenders but I don't see them selling their wires on their sites.

Given the price of price of of silver wire are like $8-9 / feet, how long do you guys make your headphone cable? I'm thinking 5", but thats still quite expensive.

Any good price/quality ratio RCA connectors you recommend?

Other than Mouser and the one's in first post, any other site you like to buy from?

Lots of questions here. So many options if you DIY. I wish theres a list of popular parts so newbies like me won't be so lost

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #923 of 10,535
  Looking to make my first cable, been looking around trying to gather all info I need. But recommendations seems hard to find, so I'm just gonna ask
I want to make a silver cable for my HD650. They use to be around more a few years back but now they seems harder to find. 
I've found some silver wires in Homegrown audio, VHaudio and Moon audio. Some claim to have their cable DIY made with toxin cable wires or other cable fenders but I don't see them selling their wires on their sites.

Given the price of price of of silver wire are like $8-9 / feet, how long do you guys make your headphone cable? I'm thinking 5", but thats still quite expensive.

Other than Mouser and the one's in first post, any other site you like to buy from?

Lots of questions here. So many options if you DIY. I wish theres a list of popular parts so newbies like me won't be so lost

Unfortunately, i don't list any DIY materials on the site yet, you can PM me with any requirments, i have everything.

I was meaning to post a list here but not had a chance.

I will run a xMas offer this weekend for a new stranded, sleeved and shielded silver 5N OCC/Cryo wire i now stock. Price will be £xxx per feet, limited to 30ft per person. I don't have much, so i will only be selling 300ft of this wire for now, as this was a sample batch.

This cable has a 4 wire core, much like the Mogami/Canare, with a braided copper shield, cotton dampening and PVC outer sleeve.

If interested, send me a PM with subject stating "Wire purchase", please allow some time for a reply, as i am extremely busy. SOLD

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #924 of 10,535

Valab from Ebay are great, uhh prettty much the most exotic plug for the money in terms of form and materials, and from the couple dozen pairs I've used, the quality is there.

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #927 of 10,535
Hey guys so I am going to go ahead and make my own detachable cable mod soon for my headphones. I just have a couple questions before I start.

I am looking through and see alot of people use Mogami.

Do people do that because it already comes sheathed(convenience) or are they just buying it to actually cut out the individual four wires on the inside?
I ask because I have plenty of 26awg hook up wire around. 
Here is a pic http://www.frys.com/product/1616178?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG.
Is there a reason why I should not use the wire I have? Maybe if I double up on the wire for each contact, so 8 instead of 4

I plan to put each wire(or pair of wires) in a Type 1 paracord sleeve, so I will have 4 paracord sleeves to work with for braiding. Because I have each wire in a single paracord sleeve and am braiding it, does that make the wire I decide to use no longer relevant?

Also for jacks and plugs, are people using oyaide and other popular names for a really big reason or is it just aesthetics?

Thank you guys for your time and any help you can give me.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #929 of 10,535
  The name of the cable you were looking for is Mogami. A lot of people use 8 wires, 4 per channel, I don't think it's necessary though. 

Thank you, I edited the post now but do you know why people use the mogami? Do they use it for the convenience because it isnt too stiff or do they cut it open to get to the 4 individual wires inside. I am just curious is if that wire is much better than the wire I plan on using and why.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #930 of 10,535
  Thank you, I edited the post now but do you know why people use the mogami? Do they use it for the convenience because it isnt too stiff or do they cut it open to get to the 4 individual wires inside. I am just curious is if that wire is much better than the wire I plan on using and why.

It's decent wire, and it's cheap. So, all of the above. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back