DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #949 of 10,535
I've got a problem guys, I bought this Hicon jack but it seems to be wired differently internally and I don't know where the contact for the tip and for the ring is.
For reference:

I know where to solder the negative wires but I'm having trouble with where to solder the left+ and right+ conductors.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #950 of 10,535
  I've got a problem guys, I bought this Hicon jack but it seems to be wired differently internally and I don't know where the contact for the tip and for the ring is.
For reference:

I know where to solder the negative wires but I'm having trouble with where to solder the left+ and right+ conductors.

You could always measure it with a multimeter. 

I would guess that the right positive goes to the crimpy clip, Left positive goes to the thingy around that pin in the middle, and the negative (ground) goes to the pin in the middle. 
I may have guessed wrong on purpose to encourage you to measure it for yourself. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #951 of 10,535

You could always measure it with a multimeter. 

I would guess that the right positive goes to the crimpy clip, Left positive goes to the thingy around that pin in the middle, and the negative (ground) goes to the pin in the middle. 
I may have guessed wrong on purpose to encourage you to measure it for yourself. 

Problem is that I don't have a multimeter at hand now but I found this picture.

It's obviously different but the internal is roughly the same. Should I trust it?

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #952 of 10,535

I agree that you should use a multimeter. Since all you need is the $5 special, there is really no reason not to have one on hand.

These aren't too different from the Viablue style plugs. Blue arrow is to ground. The black spacer between the red and white arrow indicates that those are going to be your left and right channels. I can't remember right off hand (sorry I have "taking finals brain") but I think the white arrow is to the tip (left channel) and red arrow  to the ring (right channel).

But you should always double-check with the multimeter to be sure. If you don't have one, just run down to walmart or harbour freight, or your other local store and pick up their cheap $3-5 model just for checking this.  

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #954 of 10,535
Dec 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #955 of 10,535
Any difference between Canare starquad and Van Damme Starquad?
I live in the UK and dont want to buy Mogami from Redco...
Van Damme starquad is easier for me to get than Canare and if its just as good id prefer to just get Van Damme.
Im going to be recabling Grado sr60s and Fostex T20RPs and maybe some interconnects

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #956 of 10,535
Anyone here have any experience with Clairvoyant Cables (http://clairvoyantcables.com/id81.html)?

I'm looking into some of their gold-plated OCC copper cables for some custom headphone, RCA, etc. cables. I'm still somewhat new to this (I'm 1 for 1 with custom cables so far) so any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking 28 AWG gold-plated cable from Clairvoyant Cables and some connectors from Lunashops with some paracord to make a cable for my HD700 and some RCA connectors for my potential Modi/Vali.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #957 of 10,535
It's solid core, and 28 gauge is tiny, which means your cable will be stiff, fragile, and have a pretty high resistance. 

Why do you want such expensive cable with so many downsides and no upsides? You'd be much better suited with 20-24 gauge stranded wire with a PVC jacket, then throw that in some paracord and you've got yourself a nice cable. If you're worried about oxidation (not a problem with a good wire) then you can find tinned wire which usually has a lead free solder tinning. 

I highly recommend Cooner wire, but their prices are usually pretty high and require a large order to be economical. Pulling wire out of Canare or Mogami audio cables is a good way to go, though PE insulation is going to be a bit stiffer, workable though.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #958 of 10,535
Does anyone know where to find affordable 26-28 gauge clear and/or black cable, or any color really as I can't find any?  When I say affordable I mean less than $.30 a foot.  I can buy some 4-conductor cable (I can split into individual cables) at home depot for $.33 a foot, but it's not very flexible (think ethernet cable strands).

I am currently using some excellent monster cable speaker wire (usually so overpriced) that I got at a local hardware store.  It was a 50ft roll for less than $7.  That's $.14 per foot!  And it's very good for audio cables, but it's 24-gauge.  I have some things that I'd like smaller gauge for.  Any ideas?  I don't mind if it's not named
"for audio", as long as it's basic stranded type flexible cable.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #959 of 10,535
  It's solid core, and 28 gauge is tiny, which means your cable will be stiff, fragile, and have a pretty high resistance. 

Why do you want such expensive cable with so many downsides and no upsides? You'd be much better suited with 20-24 gauge stranded wire with a PVC jacket, then throw that in some paracord and you've got yourself a nice cable. If you're worried about oxidation (not a problem with a good wire) then you can find tinned wire which usually has a lead free solder tinning. 

I highly recommend Cooner wire, but their prices are usually pretty high and require a large order to be economical. Pulling wire out of Canare or Mogami audio cables is a good way to go, though PE insulation is going to be a bit stiffer, workable though.

I'm considering it mainly because I can get it for only $25 for 100 feet. So at 25 cents a foot it seems reasonable... and a bit less tedious than splitting a Mogami cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back