DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #901 of 10,535
Originally Posted by Kamakahah

Not sure why you want an asymmetrical cable like a 'J' cable but it doesn't have to be shielded unless you know you'll be using it in an environment that would benefit from shielding.

You'll need one conductor for the left and right channels and one for the ground for a total of 3 wires minimum for a TRS setup.

You can use different materials. (E.g.) silver for the right and left channels and copper for the ground to save money.

Hopefully I understood your questions correctly.

Thanks for your reply.

I am going to make a Bowers&Wilkins P5 cable, so it must be asymetrical.

Why "three wires minimum"? That can be more?

Choice for ground metal have an effect on sound?

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #902 of 10,535
  Thanks for your reply.

I am going to make a Bowers&Wilkins P5 cable, so it must be asymetrical.

Why "three wires minimum"? That can be more?

Choice for ground metal have an effect on sound?

The P5 has a single entry, so I think some terms are being used differently than normal.  A J cable is typically for a headphone that is dual entry, but one side of the Y split is shorter than the other, most often used in  IEM cables.  I am assuming you are using asymmetrical to indicate that it isn't balanced.

The P5 has a ridiculously thin exit from the headphone driver.  You are not going to fit a shielded cable into it.  In all likely hood, 3 thin wires twisted together is the best you will be able to do.  Probably 26awg max.  The only way you have a shield is if you end it prior to entering the cup.

This was 28awg silver plated copper in teflon and it barely fit.

For the P5s, different metals for the channels are highly, highly unlikely to make an audible difference.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #905 of 10,535
Dec 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #906 of 10,535

Noooooooooo! :frowning2:

Cups are much redder in real life just FYI. lol

What have you done?!

I was taking them off my head when I felt the small cap pop. It didnt seem like it broke but as I set them down, it all came undone. I still have a replacement screw from the first time this happened a couple of years ago. I'm tempted to go with the long screw mod and save the good screws in case I ever want sell them...

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #908 of 10,535
Thanks. Do you know of any where else that ships worldwide?
If not I'll just order from lunashop.

Sorry if I missed the post, but what are you looking to order? 

That could better help me or others (probably others) answer your question. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #911 of 10,535
I am making a 3.5mm interlink for my portable amp. I have neutrik jacks already but I need some suggestions for what wire to use and if I should put techflex over it as I see people trying to avoid it by using rope and shoe laces.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #912 of 10,535
OK, thanks again.

So, for this connector: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQ3OFgxNTAw/$%28KGrHqIOKpMFHkYlOtd0BR7OSTBbD!~~60_57.JPG, where the three wires are solder? (I know that it is also a video connector, but it is the only one thin 2.5mm Jack connector that I have found).

For 5-10$, which wires do you recommends to me?

I want to make a flexible non-tangle cable.

Cordially

P-S: if someone sales a good P5 cable for 20-30€ shipping include (I am in France), I am interested.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #913 of 10,535
I am making a 3.5mm interlink for my portable amp. I have neutrik jacks already but I need some suggestions for what wire to use and if I should put techflex over it as I see people trying to avoid it by using rope and shoe laces.

Those people aren't using shoelaces or rope, that is paracord. It's a hollow shoe lace looking cord that's more flexible than tech flex. Search on Google for paracord. You can get 550 paracord at Hobby Lobby if you want to see it before you buy.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #914 of 10,535
I know about using paracord, with duct tape and WD-40 you have everything. The thing is I have seen posts where people specifically say to use shoelace or rope for covering wires, I really have no idea why when there are many more better options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back