DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #9,631 of 10,535
get a usb c dac/cable thingy. the apple one is objectively great/fine and cheap af usually.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #9,634 of 10,535
To be honest, you get what you pay for, Eidolic is excellent quality
well, dude, you were the straw that broke the camel's back.

just placed a 150 dollar order. honestly though 80 bucks for a high quality hand made cable isnt bad at all (i'm making 2 separate ones). and thats with markup.

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #9,635 of 10,535
Question for fellow cable-builders.
If you were building a balanced headphone cable and you wanted 2 paracord sleeves twisted together and then one sleeve going up the left and another going up the right side - so similar to the PW Audio 1950 cable in this image:

Would you twist the two cables on each side before threading it into the paracord? Or would you put them in untwisted and then twist the paracord before the splitter, meaning that anything from the splitter up to the headphone termination would be untwisted?
Hope my question makes sense

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #9,636 of 10,535
Question for fellow cable-builders.
If you were building a balanced headphone cable and you wanted 2 paracord sleeves twisted together and then one sleeve going up the left and another going up the right side - so similar to the PW Audio 1950 cable in this image:

Would you twist the two cables on each side before threading it into the paracord? Or would you put them in untwisted and then twist the paracord before the splitter, meaning that anything from the splitter up to the headphone termination would be untwisted?
Hope my question makes sense
This wire has an inner core with straight up and down wires, and then an outer core of wires wrapped around the inner core, then an outer rubber coating, and then the outer sleeving. . So 2 conductors per side. It's going to be very hard to replicate.
One way to do it, is to take 1 conductor worth of cables on each side out of it's sheathing and just use the outer nylon as a Shield. It's doable, but will take some patience.

what I am saying is.....1 inner core, then just the wires (minus the teflon coating or PVC whatever it is sleeved in), an then outer Nylon paracord.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #9,639 of 10,535
To be honest, you get what you pay for, Eidolic is excellent quality

I think audio is the last place where you get what you pay for. Sure there's some companies and products that offer no nonsense quality at reasonable prices but there's also crap loads of snake oil (crystal silver 12n ofc/monster cables) or overpriced junk (skull candy, beats,half the parts suppliers on ali). Its a mine field imo. Especially when starting out with building.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #9,641 of 10,535
well, dude, you were the straw that broke the camel's back.

just placed a 150 dollar order. honestly though 80 bucks for a high quality hand made cable isnt bad at all (i'm making 2 separate ones). and thats with markup.

I just ordered a bunch of Eidolic stuff too. Did you use Norne or DHC? I got my wire from Norne and the Eidolic stuff from DHC, but might have to file a PayPal dispute against DHC lol

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #9,642 of 10,535
Hodor, did you find this and if so could you possibly share please, I like to know these things
14-812--jiefa-1.jpg

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #9,645 of 10,535
Also I read that litz wire needs to be dipped in a solder pot before soldering, are there alternative methods to solder pot?

You can use a match/lighter to burn away some of the coating. I’ve also found that a bit of flux and a few extra seconds with a soldering iron works just fine.

I’ve also seen someone use a spare soldering iron in a ceramic egg-cup holder full of solder as a makeshift solder pot, but I would say that’s a fairly unsafe alternative. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back