DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #8,626 of 10,535
Hey guys, so I make my own Y cables but I need proper black sleeving that would be as supple, light, soft & non-microphonic as HE400i cable for instance, all I got off aliexpress is stiff techflex that refuses to lose its flat fold at that.

Apparently paracord is where the party's at but my 4 wires together are already 6mm and I gotta go a little larger to avoid microphonics FWIR so I'm officially running out of ideas, how about Viablue then : https://viablue.de/com/accessories_braided_sleeve_black.php ?

Thanks for any insight please :)
I have many cables that use tech flex nylon multifilament. As with paracord, don't put it on too tight, or it will facilitate cable noise.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #8,628 of 10,535
Feb 19, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #8,629 of 10,535
It pretty much doesn’t matter. Using two wires for each pole is what I do. There is really no advantage of multiple cores over a basic four core cable. Multiple cores is just funner to build and looks cooler.

The only exception to this is if your cores are really thin. I think 32AWG is the thinnest gauge needwd for a headphone, maybe 30. If your cores are thinner than that, having multiple cores might be useful.
Thanks again!

What about RCA cable,how connect the 2 wires and the shield ?
some say connect like this
15fI5a2.png

Each wire to L+/R+ the second to the ground. and the shield only on one side connect to the ground.

some saying not connect the shield at all.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #8,630 of 10,535
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #8,631 of 10,535
It pretty much doesn’t matter. Using two wires for each pole is what I do. There is really no advantage of multiple cores over a basic four core cable. Multiple cores is just funner to build and looks cooler.

The only exception to this is if your cores are really thin. I think 32AWG is the thinnest gauge needwd for a headphone, maybe 30. If your cores are thinner than that, having multiple cores might be useful.
I couldn't sure that the ground on the second side separate and not accidentally connected (and I cant test it)
so I cut all the frame of the cable
AQcp3Pe.jpg

HJpYrO4.jpg

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #8,632 of 10,535
I disassemble one cable of "SC-Peakcock MkII" from Beyerdynamic T1 that I bought used.
and discover inside the cable green color on the white silky material near the copper cable
I guess its a corrosion.
I decide to cut it until I pass the green color, and connect it, still I cant sure if there in middle still having this ugly condition.
oWgCq9E.jpg

lcPjx5G.jpg

WR6mrwI.jpg

*this cable is from old vintage headphone but the same condition happened with the Beyerdynamic T1 cable that using "SC-Peakcock MkII"

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #8,635 of 10,535
When you guys keep the shielding on, how do you go about terminating it? Do you solder it to the ground? Shell? I've tried cutting it off, but it gets in the way of the heatshrink sometimes.
What kind of cable? This question was just asked n the last few days, so maybe just just scroll back a bit.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #8,636 of 10,535
I am wanting to make DIY cables for my Atticus and HD800. I want to use some decently pure OCC litz copper, but I'm having a hard time finding a source. I can find litz wire, and I can find OCC copper, but I can't find OCC litz. I'm also open to suggestions as to what type of wire to use. I'd prefer to avoid spending megabucks on brand-name wire, even though I'm sure it would be superior in the long run. I also understand that, beyond a certain level of stranding, I'll need a solder pot to properly tin the wire because of the way it absorbs heat?

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #8,637 of 10,535
I am wanting to make DIY cables for my Atticus and HD800. I want to use some decently pure OCC litz copper, but I'm having a hard time finding a source. I can find litz wire, and I can find OCC copper, but I can't find OCC litz. I'm also open to suggestions as to what type of wire to use. I'd prefer to avoid spending megabucks on brand-name wire, even though I'm sure it would be superior in the long run. I also understand that, beyond a certain level of stranding, I'll need a solder pot to properly tin the wire because of the way it absorbs heat?
I beleive you want a pot if the wire you are getting is enamel coated. As for litz, I highly doubt you will be able to hear the difference between litz and basic mogami mic cable. I recommend you just get some mogami, strip it, lightly braid it, and enjoy. Maybe use nylon multifiliment sleeve.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #8,638 of 10,535

I agree with Allan that the solder pot is required for enameled conductors, solid or stranded. And for a headphone cable, the wire gauge is modest, so no issue there.
My question to you is about the 'litz' description. Are you looking for a single solid wire that you will use in a litz braid of your own construction?
Or are looking for a multi-strand cable that is called litz? (Cardas does this, but not OCC.)

Neotech makes both solid and stranded OCC with Teflon insulation. TakeFiveAudio and PartsConnexion carry these.
Some prefer stranded, some swear by solid.
https://www.takefiveaudio.com/categories/209-neotech-cryo-treated-copper-silver-hook-up-wire
https://www.partsconnexion.com/neotech-copper-ptfe-hook-up-wire.html

Some 15+ years ago, Vampire was selling a single strand 26 AWG enameled OCC wire that was used for braiding audio cable. (Essentially, an OCC magnet wire.)
Long gone from the audio DIY marketplace until recently, SonicCraft is now offering this. (Although I know nothing about how this compares with the previous Vampire wire.)
You can get by without a solder pot for just a few connections, but with cheap solder pots available today for $20, no reason to.
http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/chassis-vampire-c-296_175_447

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #8,639 of 10,535
Thanks for your responses, I will be certain to pick up a solder pot before investing in litz wire. I am preferably looking for pre-sleeved, stranded wire. The links you provided are very helpful, I will look into both SonicCraft and Neotech's offerings further, thanks!

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #8,640 of 10,535
Furutech 3.5 TRS jack.
I heard that rhodium coating is wear off fast then underlying copper layer will appears.
I don't think this jack is counterfeit one. Want to buy this interconnect cable.
But the seller kindly told me that thing.
Any one can help to confirm the coating on Furutech?
20190303_220420.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back