DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #8,206 of 10,535
Looks good, its surprised me the difference between the wet colour and the dried end result which looks much more vibrant.

Planning to drop in on an embroidery supply shop on my way home from work tomorrow just to look and see if the have anything cord wise that might be repurposed for cable sleeving.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #8,207 of 10,535
You have to be careful with some cordage if it does not have a hollow center but good luck. Next time I need to have more mesh to dye so it is more cost effective but I start to do more of this.

Oh and here is a thread where folks seem less likely to worry about the conversation drifting a bit, they have done whole segments on haggis and such lol. At any given time there might be 10 or more people contributing too.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2092#post-14175610

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #8,208 of 10,535
Hey gang. Looking for some grommets for choking up the ysplit. Any suggestions for finding some on the cheap. I'd rather not go the way of a 50 pack on ebay if I can avoid it.

thx.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #8,209 of 10,535
I made my first cable last night using mogami 26awg (stripped the outside and copper, leaving the paper wrap) and wrapped it in 550 paracord. I plugged into my headphones and every time it brushes against my crap i can hear it in the headphones (microphonics?) anything i can do to eliminate this?

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #8,210 of 10,535
I made my first cable last night using mogami 26awg (stripped the outside and copper, leaving the paper wrap) and wrapped it in 550 paracord. I plugged into my headphones and every time it brushes against my **** i can hear it in the headphones (microphonics?) anything i can do to eliminate this?

No sure what you are rubbing the cable against, but one option is to not do that.

One reason cables can be noisy like that is if the sleeving is pulled too tight. You may need to remove the plug, pull the sleeving back as much as it can be pulled back, then cut off a few inches of cable, re-terminate, then see if that helps.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #8,211 of 10,535
I made my first cable last night using mogami 26awg (stripped the outside and copper, leaving the paper wrap) and wrapped it in 550 paracord. I plugged into my headphones and every time it brushes against my **** i can hear it in the headphones (microphonics?) anything i can do to eliminate this?

What you are describing is why I am testing other materials including cotton and silk, it is one thing to lessen the effects of nylon or plastic but the base material can be part of the problem. I just finished dyeing some cotton mesh and hope to house some relatively pure silver with it soon.

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #8,212 of 10,535
lagavulin.jpg

I really like Lagavulin 16, intensely smoky and peaty. I'd love to try the 25 year old, but 2 bottles and I could buy a 64 Audio Trio! Yikes. Stock photo as I'm out at the moment (got to go to Liquor store now). Oh yeah to keep this remotely on topic my soldering skills are getting better thanks to the generousity of Paladin79, I'm almost ready to tackle IEM cables.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #8,213 of 10,535
I will have to try the 16 year old sometime, I know my son gets small samples of 25 year old and older sent to him for reasonable prices.

I am at a bit of a standstill on the cotton mesh, I got the red the color I wanted it but black did not work as well the first go around so I need to order more dye. I will eventually get the hang of dyeing the material. Right now I am working on a portable tube type amp, preamp system I can schlep to the back of my property where I do not have AC outlets. This will involve appropriate cables at some point. I am also building a solid state amp inside a Cohiba cigar box provided I can find electrolytics with a low enough profile.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #8,214 of 10,535
No sure what you are rubbing the cable against, but one option is to not do that.

One reason cables can be noisy like that is if the sleeving is pulled too tight. You may need to remove the plug, pull the sleeving back as much as it can be pulled back, then cut off a few inches of cable, re-terminate, then see if that helps.

well sure one option would be not to let it brush against my clothing but humans do move their heads :) I did pull the paracord pretty tight. I guess i will try loosening it up. thnaks for the suggestioin

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #8,216 of 10,535
Hello guys. I am a new member.
A fresh man to Audiophile world too.

But I do love listening to music.
Till now have enough time and saving to step in this world. Thanks god that finally can post reply here.

Long story short, my setup now:
DAP xDuoo x3 ~ 56$
AMP O2 (with power cord, no battery, opamp original) ~ 44$
AKG Q701 White ~ 130$
And a IC 3.5mm come with those things, I collected from other headfier each items, so dont know what items this IC jack belong too.

After listening to this setup about 2-3 weeks, I finally realized that all of my songs could sound so beautiful like this.
BUT, it is getting a little sad after I realized that the Q701 is too hard to drive.

For all the detail sounds, it is so fabulous. But for the high note its too sharp, and the bass is quite lack and not punchy enough (sorry, I am not good at English, so hard to explain exactly).

The bass is kind of oil drop on water, it spread out not grouped. I am looking for the bass that can be jump in, like you punch a sandbag, punch punch punch, have tempo and each strike is quick and packed. (Sry again for noob explain).

Plus, there was a song that come with a drum bass left right left right, and hidden in this is some shackle sound (the equipment one guys in Eagle using in Hotel California) and guitar sound play in backgrouns, its very very small note there, but I heard it when I test the O2 AMP (with other opamp - dont know the name). Now I can not get it, only some fade and flat noise that can not sync with the flow.

Any suggestion for a newbie like me to change, to modding, to buy some new opamp, amp, dap or even new headphone (i love this Q701 already).

My music gout is New Age, Instrument, Chill,... Kind of something can calm the mind and relaxing (my life is quite stressful).

Favourite Artis:
Yanni
Yiruma
Dennis Kuo
Secret Garden
Chinese Instrument Music

Julio Iglesias
BeeGees
Beatles
Eagle

Sometimes:
Bruno Mars
Maroon5
Justin Timberlake
EDM

Thanks a lot...!
Please guide me...!
P/s: I already try DIY 2 IC cable.
4x braided 7N Hybrid Silver&Copper
8x braided 7N Silver
Later I will need help and knowledge about DIY cable from you guys.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #8,217 of 10,535
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #8,218 of 10,535
@DylanBinh ,
This is the wrong forum for general equipment advice. Please post in the Introductions, Help and Recommendations forum
https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/

This thread is for DIY cable discussion. Do you have a questions about DIY cables?
Oppps, sorry. My main idea is want to let people understand my problem with my setup.
Sorry not to make it more clear. I was modding DIY Cable for the 3,5mm IC jack as it is the one and only thing I can try to change the quality of the sound for now (as I though so), maybe I will try to change the Q701 cable too.
I have 8 braided 7N Hybrid Copper (4x1,2mm) x Silver (4x1,2mm) and 8 braided 7N Silver (8x1,2mm).
Any advice for me to modding a decent IC 3.5mm jack and cable for Q701.
The IC jack have (L) (R) (G), total is 3 channels. What kind and How many wire I should pick and mix together on each channel.
For now, already tried:
4 braided: 1xSilver (L) 1xSilver(R) 2xCopper(G) => quality is so so, not really much different with my original IC 3,5 jack.
8 braided: 3xSilver (L) 3xSilver(R) 2xCopper(G) => quality is far better, it give me at least 20% more satisfied (my own sense), with more warm, brighter sound and a liitle more punch bass (still not enough).

I mixed it as my instinc because I tried to search through internet and youtube but no post or clip or guide about modding this kind of jack and wire (maybe my searching albility is not good enough).
So if someone can give me advice, or how to calculate or balancing the wire and sound, or maybe the guide or wiki about the effect of wire material/gauge with sound. It will be very nice.
Thanks...!
https://imgur.com/a/bHXTVNR

The wire is Acrolink 7N Silver/Copper

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #8,219 of 10,535
Put an order in for some of the Neotech NECH 3001 headphone cable, looking forward to trying it out . Its going to be interesting comparing it to my diy Canare L-4E5C cable and the stock hd800 one..

I will be testing some Neotech 24 awg upocc when I can get around to it but I doubt it is the same as the 3001. I have been given some really nice samples so far and even purchased some solid silver.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #8,220 of 10,535
So my third hands took a pretty bad tumble and are nerfed. There's a lot of junk on amazon, and the nextech stuff at Home Depot is pretty light. Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back