DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 11, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #7,756 of 10,535
Jan 13, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #7,758 of 10,535
Nope, that will not work. I got one and it’s sitting is a drawer. It’s for a different kind of locking system.
That's OK. The connector has a nice barrel that can be re-purposed for the y split.

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #7,759 of 10,535
That's OK. The connector has a nice barrel that can be re-purposed for the y split.
Ok, this sounds like a good idea. I'm too lazy to search to a pic, so if you have one of how to use a barrel like this as a Y split, please point to it. Many thanks.

Update: I found one. Any better ideas for using a barrel as a Y-Splitter? I would probably do it like this, then add a layer of clear shrink.
K1000-Cable-5-Split-Cover.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #7,761 of 10,535
Ok, this sounds like a good idea. I'm too lazy to search to a pic, so if you have one of how to use a barrel like this as a Y split, please point to it. Many thanks.

Update: I found one. Any better ideas for using a barrel as a Y-Splitter? I would probably do it like this, then add a layer of clear shrink.
K1000-Cable-5-Split-Cover.jpg

Oh I like that idea. What is a cheap material I can use for a barrel?

Jan 14, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #7,762 of 10,535

About ten years ago I began using clear flexible pvc tubing for such one to two wire connections. It is available in most any home improvement store, it is sometimes used in aquariums. You can get it in various sizes and wall thicknesses. I can post some photos when I return to work tomorrow. Generally we double check all wiring then fill it with hot glue and then cover it with heat shrink tubing. Other parts of the cable might fail down the road but we have never had a cable fail due to that junction. It holds its shape yet flexes quite nicely. We even use it on coaxial cable splits where each cable is about a quarter inch in diameter.

I usually buy it in 25 foot rolls but it seems like it is only about 60 cents a foot or less and most people doing home DIY projects would be hard pressed to use up a foot or two of the tubing This is pretty large product but you get the idea...

https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Flex-14...962&sr=8-2&keywords=clear+pvc+aquarium+tubing

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #7,763 of 10,535
I had some old banana plugs I wasn’t using I got from MCM electronics (now Newark). The barrel worked really well.

MCM Insulated Banana Plug Barrel 27-520
http://www.newark.com/mcm/27-520/bl...7?MER=bn_level5_5NP_EngagementRecSingleItem_1
$0.89

what I ;ike about this barrel is that it isn't tapered

Tubing, like paladin suggests also works well.

First positioned where I want it
9936607_l.jpg

I then marked where the heat shrink needs to be.
9936605_l.jpg

Then apply heat.
9936606_l.jpg

I would cover this with clear heat shrink, but I don't have the right size. I made this right before leaving to Vegas for a business conference. When I get back, I will measure the barrel and get the right clear tubing.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #7,765 of 10,535
red rca cables.JPG Which portion of the turntable? Internal wires to cartridge? Interconnect cables from turntable to amp? Or the more modern USB cable from turntable to computer?

If you need interconnects say dual RCA to RCA, I generally use Belden 1800F, a very flexible audio cable that comes in many colors. RCA connectors, I prefer Neutrik (Rean) and both items should be available on Markertek.com. An example is above.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #7,766 of 10,535
Which portion of the turntable? Internal wires to cartridge? Interconnect cables from turntable to amp? Or the more modern USB cable from turntable to computer?

If you need interconnects say dual RCA to RCA, I generally use Belden 1800F, a very flexible audio cable that comes in many colors. RCA connectors, I prefer Neutrik (Rean) and both items should be available on Markertek.com. An example is above.

I need a pair of RCA cables connecting to receiver for my Dual 721.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #7,767 of 10,535
I suspected as much. This cable that I suggested is two conductors and ground. I normally wire them red to hot, black (or white) to ground and braid to ground on one end only. That end with the two ground connections I usually hook to the source and the end with two wires goes to the destination. I read the theory about this years ago and it has served me well with my various setups. I generally mark the cables with direction of signal flow so I know one end from the other.

The cables shown are more flexible than some I have seen and if you use small products like some of the Schiit, they do not have the stiffness to cause one component to raise up above the one below it.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #7,770 of 10,535
For phono turntable cables you'll need one that specifically list "low capacitance" in its spec sheet. This is most important if you use moving magnet phono cartridges as the capacitance will affect the frequency response.

The Belden 1800f is low capacitance, around 12 or 13 picofarad per foot. I have my choice of most any cable made and it is my preference. Now if you can not locate it, check out Mogami or Canare cable.

Here is a very good article about this cable:

https://www.belden.com/blog/broadcast/cable-substitution

I have been using several forms of this digital audio cable for years for professional applications and the results have been quite good. I also like the fact that it will work for AES/EBU applications and I am currently using it with a brand new DAC and dual amp balanced setup I finished last night in my own home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back