DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #196 of 10,535
Quote:
Where should I buy some high quality XLRs from?

What size?  Number of Pins?  XLR plugs come in regular and mini.  Pins can be 3, 4, etc.  Specific color? Neutrik offers nickel / black and a all black option.  Lots of choices, but not all are available from all vendors.  That is, unless,  you look at someone big like Markertek.

Here's one such search from Markertek for Neutrik XLR connectors: http://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/search#w=neutrik%20xlr

Also, consider the shipping costs, too.  If you're just looking for a pair of XLRs and shipping could be about $10.  Ideally, combining several items in an order (with most companies) is when the savings can be realized.  In these situations, you might be better off using Ebay and find a vendor who has free shipping for the item.  The cost could be a little higher to purchase, but you wouldn't  have to pay a shipping amount equal to the price of 3 connectors either.

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #197 of 10,535
I got 2 Neutrik 4 pins for $12 including shipping. Anyways, does anyone know what awg cable is in the HD650 and Fostex T50RP? Also, is MCPD-X sleeving or whatever its called good? Thanks.

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #198 of 10,535
Quote:
I got 2 Neutrik 4 pins for $12 including shipping. Anyways, does anyone know what awg cable is in the HD650 and Fostex T50RP? Also, is MCPD-X sleeving or whatever its called good? Thanks.

In the cable for the Fostex T50RP, it's actually something closer to 30ga.  Each of the 3 individual wires in the cable are not within their own insulation.  The 3 wires are embedded within the black rubber jacket of the cable.  

I opened one up before and posted some pictures in the Fostex thread.  As to the wire inside the headphone, that runs from one cup to the other, seems like 28ga, or so.  However, if you're doing a re-cable job on the inside of the Fostex T50RP, be very, very careful. The solder pads of the drivers are aluminum, as is the solder.  If your iron is too hot, you'll dissipate the whole connection quickly and melt the soldering pad.  Plus, when comes to resoldering fresh wire to the drivers, you have to ensure you have a solder similar to the manufacturer.  For me, it was awfully hard to find a solder that had a very low melting point. But, I did find some, at a cost.

I think when doing a recable job on the Fostex (if redoing the inside wiring), the risk is much higher than the reward.

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #199 of 10,535
I'm just recabling the plug with a 4 pin XLR, is that possible? And its 30 awg?

In the cable for the Fostex T50RP, it's actually something closer to 30ga.  Each of the 3 individual wires in the cable are not within their own insulation.  The 3 wires are embedded within the black rubber jacket of the cable.  

I opened one up before and posted some pictures in the Fostex thread.  As to the wire inside the headphone, that runs from one cup to the other, seems like 28ga, or so.  However, if you're doing a re-cable job on the inside of the Fostex T50RP, be very, very careful. The solder pads of the drivers are aluminum, as is the solder.  If your iron is too hot, you'll dissipate the whole connection quickly and melt the soldering pad.  Plus, when comes to resoldering fresh wire to the drivers, you have to ensure you have a solder similar to the manufacturer.  For me, it was awfully hard to find a solder that had a very low melting point. But, I did find some, at a cost.

I think when doing a recable job on the Fostex (if redoing the inside wiring), the risk is much higher than the reward.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #201 of 10,535
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #202 of 10,535
http://en.mdpc-x.com/
Is this stuff high quality? Also, what is it made out of?

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #203 of 10,535
Quote:
http://en.mdpc-x.com/
Is this stuff high quality? Also, what is it made out of?

That stuff would be great for Power Supplies and PC cables... RCA Interconnects would be good with it too, I would not use it on headphone cables as it looks to be some seriously stiff ***** nylon.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #204 of 10,535
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #205 of 10,535
Quote:
That stuff would be great for Power Supplies and PC cables... RCA Interconnects would be good with it too, I would not use it on headphone cables as it looks to be some seriously stiff ***** nylon.

Have you actually used it yourself? I have seen several headphone cables sleeved with it. That's why I'm looking for someone with first hand experience with it.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #207 of 10,535
Quote:
What awg cable is inside the HD650?

Not sure but get some 26 or 24 awg for that.  

Quote:
No idea about sleeving yet- how about this stuff for $1/ft :

[size=1.4em] Soft black multifilament sleeve for DIY[/size]

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28

I've been looking for quality right-angle plugs for a BH Crack kit that's on the way (it comes with a top-mounted Neutrik 1/4" jack), but nothing in the 1/4" variety looks good to me. I found Switchcraft and Oyaide 1/8"/3.5 mm right-angle plugs, tho', and the Switchcraft unit looks really well made for not a lot of money:

Honestly the microfillament that DHC sells is the more expensive version of paracord.  I mean it is a bit nicer looking but if you want to save some money buy paracord it looks almost identical.  Also it is a bit smaller if you get type I instead of type III.  

I would go Neutrik.  Switchcraft stuff isn't even close in quality in my opinion.  In that price range honestly Neutrik trumps all in build quality and how solid the connector is.  (that is an opinion so don't bite my head off.)

Quote:
Partsconnexion has a large selection of XLRs. From Neutrik to the more expensive Xhadow and NeoTech.
AVOutlet can get you Viablue XLRs too if you contact them directly.
I like using VALabs from ebay due to their looks and reasonable price.

If you want Neutrik I would go with Redco...better prices.  But otherwise +1.  

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #208 of 10,535
I don't have the money to do a full recable, I'm just going to contact sennheiser.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #209 of 10,535
Quote:
I don't have the money to do a full recable, I'm just going to contact sennheiser.

Just go bigger with the strippers 
wink.gif
 (Pun totally intended)
You could use calipers to measure the diameter of the wires and figure out which stripping hole to use (hahaha)
I usually just wing it and as long as you're careful, you shouldn't have any problem stripping without knowing the actual awg of the wires.

Cheers

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #210 of 10,535
Gotcha. I'll probably start with 24 awg and move down from there. Do you guys recommend DHC wire?

Just go bigger with the strippers 
wink.gif

(Pun totally intended)
You could use calipers to measure the diameter of the wires and figure out which stripping hole to use (hahaha)
I usually just wing it and as long as you're careful, you shouldn't have any problem stripping without knowing the actual awg of the wires.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back