DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,771 of 10,535
I've been excited to pick up some of the DIY wire from Toxic cables. Unfortunately, shipping to the US is flat-rate $20. Killed all the savings for me. It's too bad, the prices are otherwise really good.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #1,772 of 10,535
I've been excited to pick up some of the DIY wire from Toxic cables. Unfortunately, shipping to the US is flat-rate $20. Killed all the savings for me. It's too bad, the prices are otherwise really good.

Yeah $20 shipping for some wires appears aggressive.

I have tried the Toxic silver poison for my LOD cable. Very good wires but sound stage seems reduced to my ears. The cotton-dielectric silver from Homegrown wins my ears.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,774 of 10,535
  Hi Guys
I am a newbie for diy cables
Currently, I am planning to diy a cable for my Denon AH D600 headphones.
But I can't find any 3.5 mm jack like the original one with only the tip and sleeve.
http://i.imgur.com/GxvUgQh.jpg
Above is a photo of the 3.5mm jack that connect to the right channel of my headphones. ( sorry for the poor quality) As shown there is only a tip and a sleeve but without the ring.
Anyone knows where I can buy something like this?
Or, is that I can use a normal 3.5 mm jack and connect the wires to the tip of the 3.5mm jack for both left and right channels respectively?

Additionally, I have some questions about the materials for making cables. 
If we have got enough budget, is that high purity occ copper/silver will be the best option for making a decent quality cable?
Are there any more advanced materials for making headphone cables?

I would be grateful if anyone can help me with these.
Thank you guys. CHEERS!

Forgive my poor english
frown.gif

frown.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,775 of 10,535
anyone can advise me?

Sorry, didn't see your post. Those 3.5 connectors are "mono" not "stereo". Just do a quick search for "3.5 mm mono plug" and you'll get various options. You can also search Lunashops.com, Markertek.com, Parts-express.com, eBay, etc.

I recommend some inexpensive wire for your first job. You can learn from your mistakes as you practice.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,776 of 10,535
Sorry, didn't see your post. Those 3.5 connectors are "mono" not "stereo". Just do a quick search for "3.5 mm mono plug" and you'll get various options. You can also search Lunashops.com, Markertek.com, Parts-express.com, eBay, etc.

I recommend some inexpensive wire for your first job. You can learn from your mistakes as you practice.

Thank you for your reply mate
biggrin.gif

Actually I have made a few cables already. Just want to know whether I can use other materials that might be better than occ copper wire.
btw I found that it is quite difficult to find some occ pure silver wires (stranded). Do you have any ideas where to find it? I searched it in DHC plussound forza and etc  but none of them are selling any occ silver.

thank you again for your recommendations

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #1,777 of 10,535

Unfortunately that's the problem with international shipping, it's expensive. All my packages are sent fully tracked and insured, so the price reflects that.

We also make sure there are no further import charges to pay on your end, so what you pay me, is all you pay.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #1,778 of 10,535
  Thank you for your reply mate
biggrin.gif

Actually I have made a few cables already. Just want to know whether I can use other materials that might be better than occ copper wire.
btw I found that it is quite difficult to find some occ pure silver wires (stranded). Do you have any ideas where to find it? I searched it in DHC plussound forza and etc  but none of them are selling any occ silver.

We have 2 listed on the site, one 26AWG 5N OCC Silver which is £3 a feet and the other with 1% gold, which is £5.05. http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=68

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,779 of 10,535
Thank you for your reply mate:D

I just saw your cables in the gallery. Whether other materials will be better is entirely subjective. Only you can say it is or is not. Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure until you try.

OCC silver can be had from our very own Frank at Toxic Cables. Just recently posted a number of DIY options for us.

Otherwise try contacting Artemis cables. He'll probably be able to help.

Unfortunately that's the problem with international shipping, it's expensive. All my packages are sent fully tracked and insured, so the price reflects that.

We also take care of any import duties on this end, so the price you pay, is all you pay.

I understand. Thanks for offering them. I love to support those that are open to the DIY community. Maybe i'll find some others that'll do a bulk order to split shipping.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #1,780 of 10,535
So I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my components for my first DIY headphone cable. This is what I have on the list so far:

25 foot Toxic Cable 26AWG Viper Silver Plated Copper Cable.
HD600 Connectors
Neutrik 4 Pin XLR Connector
Y-Splitter (probably the toxic cable aluminium one)

Do you think I have everything covered there?

I have a soldering iron / solder (lead free silver) and multimeter. Would I need heat shrink for anything at all (the HD600 connectors?) if so what sort of size what you advise? I believe the XLR has built in strain relief but may add some heat shrink where the cable exits the connector.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #1,781 of 10,535
So I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my components for my first DIY headphone cable. This is what I have on the list so far:

25 foot Toxic Cable 26AWG Viper Silver Plated Copper Cable.
HD600 Connectors
Neutrik 4 Pin XLR Connector
Y-Splitter (probably the toxic cable aluminium one)

Do you think I have everything covered there?

I have a soldering iron / solder (lead free silver) and multimeter. Would I need heat shrink for anything at all (the HD600 connectors?) if so what sort of size what you advise? I believe the XLR has built in strain relief but may add some heat shrink where the cable exits the connector.

You're definitely going to need heat shrink for the HD600 connectors so you can cover the soldered area of the pins. I don't know for sure what size you're going to need, but I'm going to guess 3/8", anyone is welcome to correct me if you think I'm wrong. The heat shrink is going to have to fit around the largest area of the HD600 connector, like in the picture below.

The XLR does have built in strain relief, so you shouldn't need it there. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,782 of 10,535
You're definitely going to need heat shrink for the HD600 connectors so you can cover the soldered area of the pins. I don't know for sure what size you're going to need, but I'm going to guess 3/8", anyone is welcome to correct me if you think I'm wrong. The heat shrink is going to have to fit around the largest area of the HD600 connector, like in the picture below.

The XLR does have built in strain relief, so you shouldn't need it there. 

Would you advise just standard heat shrink or the glue lined stuff? I assume I just. Shrink this with a standard heat gun?

Anybody else confirm what diameter is required for HD600 connectors?

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,783 of 10,535
I just saw your cables in the gallery. Whether other materials will be better is entirely subjective. Only you can say it is or is not. Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure until you try.

OCC silver can be had from our very own Frank at Toxic Cables. Just recently posted a number of DIY options for us.

Otherwise try contacting Artemis cables. He'll probably be able to help.
I understand. Thanks for offering them. I love to support those that are open to the DIY community. Maybe i'll find some others that'll do a bulk order to split shipping.

Thanks a lot for your help

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,784 of 10,535
Would you advise just standard heat shrink or the glue lined stuff? I assume I just. Shrink this with a standard heat gun?

Anybody else confirm what diameter is required for HD600 connectors?

Non glue lined will be fine and will look cleaner and the standard heat gun should be fine, just be carefull not to apply too much heat.

I will include the perfect sized 4:1 black heatshrink to fit the connectors for you.

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,785 of 10,535
Hi guys
I have questions about choosing the size of paracord.
Um can a 6-braided 26 awg cable fit into the 550 paracord? And, is a micro paracord suitable for sleeving a 3-braided 26 awg cable?

thank you 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back