DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #151 of 10,535
Quote:
I have bought mine from EBay-All Outdoor and More. It is relatively the same price other than the kits.

According to reviews, people didn't get quite the kit they were expecting. The reviews for this item were more solid.

I bought Type 1 from Michaels but still can't figure out how to thread it properly. tried using a paperclip but couldn't keep the wire on with tape. A guide with pictures would be much appreciated xD.

Never seen Type 1 at Michaels.  I'll have to look the next time my wife sends me there.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #153 of 10,535
Quote:
Need to make a mini-coaxial to coaxial connector.

Does anybody have a diagram or sketch on how to solder this?

I believe its a 3.5 connector to an RCA connector

Its more simple than you think.  Because you are using a mono 3.5mm there is the tip and shield and I am sure that you know that there is a tip and shield on the RCA as well.  When you buy coax cable there is a center wire and there is usually an insulation and then a conductive shield and finally the outer insulation.  The center wire is the tip for both the RCA and mini-coax and the conductive shield is the ground for both.  If you need a diagram I can find you one but if you understand after this than we are good to go.  

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #154 of 10,535
Quote:
Its more simple than you think.  Because you are using a mono 3.5mm there is the tip and shield and I am sure that you know that there is a tip and shield on the RCA as well.  When you buy coax cable there is a center wire and there is usually an insulation and then a conductive shield and finally the outer insulation.  The center wire is the tip for both the RCA and mini-coax and the conductive shield is the ground for both.  If you need a diagram I can find you one but if you understand after this than we are good to go.  

Thanks - makes sense. Just need to get my hands on a decent mono 3.5 right angle and decent right angled RCA.

Will skip the COAX and do something like Spud has done here

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #156 of 10,535
Quote:
why choose type 1 over type 3? which would be better for sleeving

Type 1 is thinner. Its also known as 325lb paracord. Instead of just stripping a cable and taking the wires and threading it through paracord, you take each wire and thread it through. 

I can't do it myself but... Here is a post by Fraggler in the Gallery which has nice implementation of this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/10200#post_8706279

Here is my implementation of the same technique done with type 3.. it works but its different: http://i.imgur.com/wZnIyFQh.jpg

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #157 of 10,535
Quote:

Type 1 is thinner. Its also known as 325lb paracord. Instead of just stripping a cable and taking the wires and threading it through paracord, you take each wire and thread it through. 

I can't do it myself but... Here is a post by Fraggler in the Gallery which has nice implementation of this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/10200#post_8706279

Here is my implementation of the same technique done with type 3.. it works but its different: http://i.imgur.com/wZnIyFQh.jpg

Ah icic that's actually something i've been looking for thanks so much!!! Whats a cheap place to get some?

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #158 of 10,535
Quote:
Ah icic that's actually something i've been looking for thanks so much!!! Whats a cheap place to get some?

It's on the first page and the previous page..

liquidzoo gets his from supply captain... I think this would be the link? (correct me if i'm wrong please)

I got mine from Michaels (mine wasn't very high quality).. just started fraying... best to get from your local Michaels/arts/craft store.. it will be near the jewlery/accessory section. you'll also find buckles and beads. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #159 of 10,535
Quote:

It's on the first page and the previous page..

liquidzoo gets his from supply captain... I think this would be the link? (correct me if i'm wrong please)

I got mine from Michaels (mine wasn't very high quality).. just started fraying... best to get from your local Michaels/arts/craft store.. it will be near the jewlery/accessory section. you'll also find buckles and beads. 

I live in Malaysia so no Michael's for me i guess i'll try supply captain. Didnt see that they had Type 1 as well im getting my type 3 from them.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #161 of 10,535
Quote:
Type 1 is also known as accessory cord or vest cord.  It's just the right size for a single wire (no larger than 24AWG).

Just don't buy micro cord... that is NOT what you want If it is what you want though... I have 400 ft of it 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back