DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #12,121 of 16,309
Quote:
So I'm going to build a cable for another member, but he's looking for a specific detail that I'm not sure how to control : resistance.

He wants to keep the resistance as low as possible. So what changes to a build will help me keep the resistance low?

In general, the lower the gauge, the lower the resistance.  What is his concern?  For headphone cables made out of the normal gauges recommended, resistance shouldn't be a concern.  

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #12,122 of 16,309
Quote:
It's the good guys like you and Fraggler who keep the craft going
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #12,123 of 16,309
In general, the lower the gauge, the lower the resistance.  What is his concern?  For headphone cables made out of the normal gauges recommended, resistance shouldn't be a concern.  

They were noticing a prefered sound signature when using cables with lower resistance on the X1. Could be a fluke though.

It just got me thinking what variables determine resistance, and if there was anything I could change in my technique to make that happen.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #12,125 of 16,309
The connector and contact points arguably make a bigger difference in those short lengths. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #12,126 of 16,309
Quote:
They were noticing a prefered sound signature when using cables with lower resistance on the X1. Could be a fluke though.

It just got me thinking what variables determine resistance, and if there was anything I could change in my technique to make that happen.

What was he using?  I would imagine it would have to be a very, very large difference in gauge for it to make an audible difference.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #12,127 of 16,309

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity

A cable built with min resistance as a top priority would be a little impractical but audiophiles have never been known to be that. But I agree with Fraggler that the sonic difference will not be very audible, at least to my ears and equipment.

Summarily, your cable will have to be short and phat with minimal impurities and crystals
Made out of solid core silver soldered with max surface area to plugs with silver pins using high silver content solder
Your friend then needs to be in an air con room while the cable is soaked in a tub of ice as resistance increases linearly with temperature :)

You may want to check out cryo'd UP-OCC 22awg single core silver Neotech wires
Audioquest or Furutech plugs (though their pins are still only silver plated over copper)

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #12,128 of 16,309
I appreciate the responses. I understand the physics behind resistivity and conductivity, but practical application is what I was after and thank you for those responses. 

A number of members were simply comparing the stock cable of the Philips Fidelio X1 to different aftermarket cables from Mediabridge, Monoprice, Inakustik, Vmoda, etc.
Upon comparing the cables for the SQ that they perfered, they noticed that it was on cables with lower resistant, usually about 0.5 ohms, while cables measuring 1.5 ohms or greater didn't possess what they were looking for. 

I found it a bit difficult to believe 1 ohms of resistance would have an audible change, but it seemed to be worth looking into it since I'm going to make one of them a custom cable to compare the sound. 

We'll see how it turns out. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #12,129 of 16,309
What was he using?  I would imagine it would have to be a very, very large difference in gauge for it to make an audible difference.

I caught snippets of it, they were using the stock cable as well as a v-moda cable. I think they measured something like 2ohms resistance. Mad Lust Envy bought some aftermarket cable that specs says that it had .2 ohm resistance. Something like that.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #12,130 of 16,309
While many didn't seem to believe in cable making a difference at all, everyone seemed to notice an improvement over the stock cable regardless of resistance. 

We'll, I guess its time to just make the cable and see what he thinks. Just cant decide if I should use my spc or pure copper. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #12,131 of 16,309
I've had some stock cables with bizarrely high resistance -- on the order of 20 Ohm or so per leg of each line in a circuit. They did in fact sound terrible.

For the most part, though, even modest homebrewed or commercial headphone cables I've measured are +- 2 Ohm or so of each other. Some used 32 AWG wire, others used 24 AWG wire... All of them exhibited far lower resistance than the wires in my multimeter did.

If I wanted to be comprehensive I would try the same wires with different connectors and so on... but I suspect for the most part they, too, would only impose nominal resistance. Your soldering skill probably has more to do with this factor than the nature of the wire or connector.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #12,132 of 16,309
Jun 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #12,134 of 16,309
No you want this fine stuff... I stripped about 100' of it years ago to sell for the copper. It was all in pieces and wasn't that fun, just like whittling wood. :D

http://m.grainger.com/mobile/details/?R=5ZG95

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back