DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #12,061 of 16,305
We'll if you believe that cables change the sound (everyone is different, that's why I say this), then you might try a pure silver cable. That would be a pretty expensive recable, so I suggest you try some Silver-plated copper to see if you notice a change. 

Alternatively, (again, if you believe in this) you could give your cable time to burn-in. Some people feel that the sound will change once the cables 'breaks-in'. 

Thing is, if you find that the cable makes a difference, then you also might want to pay attention to what kinds of jacks you are using, the solder, and soldering technique (check that you dont have a cold joint).

These are merely suggestions. I honestly don't care who believes what or why. Take them as you will. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #12,062 of 16,305
Quote:
I just finished making an upgrade cable for my HD580's out of 26 AWG 7N cryo treated UP OCC Copper stranded wire and it really trimmed off the top end and brought out the bass and mids. That wasnt what I was going for at all :frowning2: I like my music bright with decent bass that dont drown out the mids. What wire should I use for my next cable to get those results?

I have no personal experience, but it's often said that adding some silver to the mix may brighten the sound a bit.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #12,063 of 16,305
Quote:
We'll if you believe that cables change the sound (everyone is different, that's why I say this), then you might try a pure silver cable. That would be a pretty expensive recable, so I suggest you try some Silver-plated copper to see if you notice a change. 

Alternatively, (again, if you believe in this) you could give your cable time to burn-in. Some people feel that the sound will change once the cables 'breaks-in'. 

Thing is, if you find that the cable makes a difference, then you also might want to pay attention to what kinds of jacks you are using, the solder, and soldering technique (check that you dont have a cold joint).

These are merely suggestions. I honestly don't care who believes what or why. Take them as you will. 

Quote:
I have no personal experience, but it's often said that adding some silver to the mix may brighten the sound a bit.

I tinned all the wires well and got the best connections I could get to my connectors, so I don't think cold joints is the problem. I'll try some kind of silver wire next time then and see if that makes a difference or not. Thanks guys. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #12,065 of 16,305
Quote:

Depends what you plan on doing with it. It's solid core so you wouldn't want to use that for headphone/iem cable, but could be good for an interconnect that you don't plan on bending/flexing much.

Also it has no insulation so you'll have to pick up some teflon/cotton/other and do it yourself which can be a pain in the ***** depending on length of the cable you want to insulate. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #12,066 of 16,305
Not meaning to repeat myself, but now's a good time to repeat myself about discussing cables and sound quality in a DIY forum...

Quote:
That's a question that tends to start arguments that derail this thread and leads to moderator-imposed lockdowns, so it's not discussed here.

However, it's fair game in both the Cables and Sound Science forums... I recommending reading some of the existing threads in both to make an informed decision.

This isn't a taboo topic, it's just that this is the wrong place on the site to discuss it.

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #12,072 of 16,305
Just an extension cable , for late nigth radio live concerts
Yes I'm old-fashioned. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back